Poll: Yes or No?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
32.00%
8 32.00%
No
20.00%
5 20.00%
It should be launched into the sun instead
48.00%
12 48.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Failsafe switch for Research.
It is no secret that the Research department is a yawning portal of evil.

My solution: put a Failsafe console on the bridge that requires the authentication disk to use. When triggered, it launches the entire department out into the Debris Field, there to float amidst the ruins of countless failed Research departments before them.
I hate and love this as the same time
the entire station exists to serve as a plasma research station, so if anything us research nerds would jettison YOU guys for trying to hold us back ?
I adore this idea but it feels ripe for abuse. Good idea for the RP server though.
(05-16-2019, 04:07 PM)SRQ Wrote: I adore this idea but it feels ripe for abuse. Good idea for the RP server though.

Make it so it takes two authorizations, like trying to make the shuttle leave early.

Or better yet, physical keys that you have to turn at the same time, nuclear missile-style.
Make it so that it gives a big announcement countdown, like the nuke or something, but for 60-90 seconds?
Also, I feel like launching an area that has a teleporter deep into space where it would be even harder to reach that area would only make it easier for toxin bombers to bomb the entire station.
Also the scientists can simply ask the RD for the port-a-sci app, telescience themself onto the station, do something, and then port-a-sci back.
Which means that by sending Research onto debris field you make everything way, way worse.

The solution, obviously, is to send Research into the sun.
Just put a lockdown button in the bridge that locks down all of research, and they have no way to undo it other than to complain to heads and the AI. Or just launch them into the sun.
Like Ursula said, literally the entire point of the station's existence is research. It wouldn't make sense to have provisions to lock that stuff down.
bring back nuke
(05-17-2019, 05:02 AM)Triacontakai Wrote: Like Ursula said, literally the entire point of the station's existence is research. It wouldn't make sense to have provisions to lock that stuff down.

The station clearly only exists as a tax dodge for NanoTrasen, since no actual research takes place in Research. Even the Artifact Lab only cares about turning the things on, not how or why they work.

Besides being funny, the other reason I'm suggesting this is to give an incentive for science to toe the line. Being selected as a traitor scientist is like winning the lottery. You have a million ways to fuck up the station with zero oversight, conveniently located in a nice, secluded part of the station where your colleagues don't ask too many questions as long as you don't touch their stuff. In my ideal station, the Research Director is nervously patrolling the halls to ensure he does not get flushed out the airlock along with his office.
Good idea, but put it in Pathology instead.
When I read this title, I imagined it would be an RD kind of thing that just kinda...phases research into the void for a bit, so if someone decides they want to Urist McBlowUpTheStation, they can safely nuke research in a pocket dimension and not kill the station.