Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Add More Jobs to Job Preferences
With the new tide, more jobs were added to late-join, such as Lawyer, Mime, Journalist, Pharmacist, etc. With this, I think it'd be nice if these jobs were added to the Job Preferences menu!
Gotta balance freedom of choice with cluter- don't want to flood the selection screen with two dozen more jobs that are functionally identical to Staff Assistant or less.

Let's take this thread to talk about which specifically would make good additions to the preference wheel, why, and maybe it'll lead to different interesting gimmick jobs too. Who knows.
I think a general "Random job" job that represents the late-join jobs could be a good addition, since all of them are as you said, just functionally staff assistants but with gimmick potential. It both keeps clutter out but adds something.
Quote:Grumpchkin

I think a general "Random job" job that represents the late-join jobs could be a good addition, since all of them are as you said, just functionally staff assistants but with gimmick potential. It both keeps clutter out but adds something.

I don't really like this idea, because (I'd at least imagine) that most people pick the gimmick jobs because they have a specific gimmick in-mind related to that job, making the selection of "Random Job" pointless.

Quote:John Warcrimes

Gotta balance freedom of choice with cluter- don't want to flood the selection screen with two dozen more jobs that are functionally identical to Staff Assistant or less.

Let's take this thread to talk about which specifically would make good additions to the preference wheel, why, and maybe it'll lead to different interesting gimmick jobs too. Who knows.

Those are some good points! So, why are jobs added to the job preferences menu? Why should any job be added to the job preference menu? Well, I think it's for two main reasons.

1: To guide players towards jobs that have an important/interesting role.
2: To let there be a higher chance for these jobs to be played as an antagonist.

With these reasons, I think I'd be good to add Lawyer (could make for easier fun court RP), Mime (has a similar role to the clown- silliness), and Radio Show Host (radio shows are usually always fun) to the job preferences menu.
I agree with all 3 of those, they should get some more attention due to their role on a station
I'll go the other way and say that they should be reverted to the way misc jobs were before the latest wave of players.

The only reason we have a dozen of those random gimmick jobs for latejoin was to give some more interesting jobs than Staff Assistant when we had 80 or 90 players logged in at a minimum. Previously it would only display one or two of those jobs depending on the day or the week or randomly or something.
(05-14-2019, 08:16 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I'll go the other way and say that they should be reverted to the way misc jobs were before the latest wave of players.

The only reason we have a dozen of those random gimmick jobs for latejoin was to give some more interesting jobs than Staff Assistant when we had 80 or 90 players logged in at a minimum. Previously it would only display one or two of those jobs depending on the day or the week or randomly or something.

I dont see any harm in keeping them all as possible latejoin jobs, while maybe removing the ones with higher access (Reginal Director, Head Surgeoon) from being permanent.

Otherwise, how about some kind of "Entertainer" role that would randomly select from Coach, Boxer, Hollywood Actor, Musician?

Edit: Was also considering the Pharmacist as a bridge between medbay and chemistry, but dont know if that would add anything really. Medbay has barely ever asked me as a scientist to make anything for them, so they either dont need it or just dont ask. They usually seem to have an abundance of meds or chemistry is blown up by the time they need it. Also medbay has its own dispenser on some maps.
(05-15-2019, 03:25 AM)The Gorog Wrote: Edit: Was also considering the Pharmacist as a bridge between medbay and chemistry, but dont know if that would add anything really. Medbay has barely ever asked me as a scientist to make anything for them, so they either dont need it or just dont ask. They usually seem to have an abundance of meds or chemistry is blown up by the time they need it. Also medbay has its own dispenser on some maps.

I never bother asking chem for things because either they'll always ignore requests or they're busy setting themselves on fire and/or making drugs.
(05-15-2019, 11:47 AM)Zamujasa Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 03:25 AM)TheĀ Gorog Wrote: Edit: Was also considering the Pharmacist as a bridge between medbay and chemistry, but dont know if that would add anything really. Medbay has barely ever asked me as a scientist to make anything for them, so they either dont need it or just dont ask. They usually seem to have an abundance of meds or chemistry is blown up by the time they need it. Also medbay has its own dispenser on some maps.

I never bother asking chem for things because either they'll always ignore requests or they're busy setting themselves on fire and/or making drugs.

Yeah, chemistry usually just ignores me if I ask for even simple chems as a MD or anything so I just destroy the table and walk in. And thermite their walls and insult their hygiene if they try to lock me out with the shutters. Imo medical should just get a chem setup on ALL maps and have a Pharmacist (or two) as a regular job who is ostensibly supposed to be medbay's chemnerd.
I really like the sound of dedicated medical chemist. It also means being a medical doctor just becomes about doing doctoring again, and not necessarily requiring you additionally be a chem nerd who can mix their own perfluoro and cryo and stuff on top of taking care of people.
Technically patho functions as medbays chemistry on maps missing a proper pharmacy.
There are two possible ways to implement this without creating clutter:

First: A separate gimmick job window, and a job on the selection screen that says 'Gimmick Jobs'. Then there would be a separate job selection window for gimmick jobs, which would be functionally identical to the regular job selection window.

If you roll for a gimmick job, then you'd get a gimmick job based on the preferences that you set.

Secondly: A button to show/hide gimmick jobs, so that normally they wouldn't cause clutter, but if you needed to edit them in your job preferences then you could just make them visible to interact with them.