Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RP Scenario Idea Thread
Hello fellow RP nerds! Ever since the Wizard Diplomacy round I tried running last Sunday (which, admittedly, ended up being less RP-filled than I'd like), I have been brainstorming ideas for potentially interesting scenarios. I'd like to list some of the ones I had come up with, and I'd like to hear some of yours as well. The ideas could include an admin's help or not, but the ones I have listed here would all require an admin to make it happen.
  • Radio Silence: Standard intrigue/secret round, but the general radio frequency is disabled. Only department specific radio frequencies work. (Might be too strong for changelings?)
  • The B Team: Nanotrasen's finest Basketball team were all horribly injured in an incident involving bananas and sulferic acid. Nanotrasen needs SS13 to put together a Basketball team so they can compete in the next season! (Captain holds a B-ball tournament, probably)
  • Budget Cuts: Unfortunately due to financial issues, Nanotrasen has been forced to cut back on some of the luxury features normally featured on space stations, such as breathable air. The entire station is a vacuum, have fun. (Everyone should spawn on the arrival shuttle with air tanks. I'm pretty sure this might have been done before.)
  • Cult of the Blob: A cult worships a slimy overlord instead of a dark god, and must ensure that their gelatinous master consumes the station. (A small Cult with no/limited spells + one Blob. Likely better suited for Goon 2, but could potentially work if introduced as a late-round antagonist)
  • Grand Theft Infinity: There are 6 magical Infinity Stones, one in each Department Head office. The Spy Thieves are tasked with collecting them. When all 6 are gathered together, the one who possesses them is granted the power of an Omnitraitor OR can request anything from the admins (ideas for other rewards?) Alternatively, there could be no antagonists, and each department could try to steal them from each other.
  • Alien Bounty Hunt: Several exotic alien critters have been released onto the station some harmless, others dangerous, and the Animal Alien Control Unit is offering large rewards for capturing them!

The hope behind this is that if anybody wants to try to run a fun, interesting round other than the standard intrigue/extended that we do, they could take a look at this thread for inspiration.
I have an idea for one: "Adventure station" basically some nerdy telescientist screwed around with the fabric of space and time and somehow ported parts of the adventure zone into the station (maybe just a few enemies, but maybe also whole chunks of the zones)
Hello, just to clarify real quick.

There is already a RP idea thing on the forum. To be fair, I believe only mentors have access to it.

The main reason is because mentors may come up with interesting ideas and wish to discuss them, but don't wish to give away the surprises.

With that in mind, I'm not sure how "okay" a thread like this could be, though I doubt it would hurt.

Also liked the event, being a wizard and finding ways to mess with the people trying to protect me was fun. A shame one jerk had to blow something up and ruin it, but what can ya do.
I didn't know that there was a thread like this for mentors, apologies. Not ruining the surprise is a good reason for making it mentor-only. Though, the ideas I had hoped to collect here would be the types of scenarios where mostly everyone knows what's going on from the beginning.
I suggested Podrick make a thread because they had a buncha neat ideas, and this way other people could also contribute! So yeah, this thread is totally okay, and hopefully opens up a space for people who aren't mentors to share what they think would be fun. Ideally it'd be nice to run an event or something every week or so, maybe at a set time, to keep players engaged.
it's perfectly fine to have this kind of thread. the other forum is for long, extended ideas with several story components that could actually stand to be harmed by spoilers that the creator doesn't want to get out, but if the peeps here don't care about their ideas being spoiled ahead of time then there's really no harm to anyone
I don't know how we'd go about adding it but I feel like having someone (As a traitor) design a maze or puzzle in construction mode to use like jigsaw would be fun and cool. Maybe a special Z-level for making it and a teleporter there for transporting victims to it?
(05-16-2019, 05:45 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I don't know how we'd go about adding it but I feel like having someone (As a traitor) design a maze or puzzle in construction mode to use like jigsaw would be fun and cool. Maybe a special Z-level for making it and a teleporter there for transporting victims to it?

This is how
Cool!
Here's another idea: Extended, but EVERYONE must obey A.I. laws. In addition, several Ion storms will occur throughout the round.
(05-17-2019, 01:41 PM)Podrick Equus Wrote: Here's another idea: Extended, but EVERYONE must obey A.I. laws. In addition, several Ion storms will occur throughout the round.

You mean make everyone a borg? Otherwise this wouldn't make much sense.
(05-17-2019, 02:04 PM)Skornzy Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 01:41 PM)Podrick Equus Wrote: Here's another idea: Extended, but EVERYONE must obey A.I. laws. In addition, several Ion storms will occur throughout the round.

You mean make everyone a borg? Otherwise this wouldn't make much sense.

You're right. What if perhaps this would only apply to non command staff, or it wouldn't apply to people who late join?
The Evolutionary Ladder - Pre-open SS13 spacemen (yes, the MSpaint spacemen, possibly as custom critters) are arriving through a one-way rift in time and space, and must come to terms with this much less ugly future they've blundered into. However, the journey has turned some of them into horrible mutants (the mutant critters) which threaten the safety of their new guests!

Pizza Time - The station is the victim of a prank call and is deluged in carry-out pizzas. Can the station amass enough funds to pay off the enormous bill before the Space Pizza Delivery Company detonates a device that turns everything into pizza material?

Supbar-Man - A visitor from a planet that has based its culture on comic books has superhuman powers, but a stiflingly strict moral code. A supervillain has followed him in disguise as a member of the crew. What will happen when they meet? Hopefully not a Synder film. I really, really hope not.

Not the X-Files - A high amount of spooky space activity leads Nanotrasen to dispatch their top paranormal investigators to the station. However, is the event supernatural or mundane in nature? That's up for investigators Mully and Sculder to discover.

Fishy Business - Cog1 or 2 A fish driving a car demands that the other aquatic lifeforms onboard the station be given a larger living space, but the chef harbors a grudge against this talking fish because it gave him terrible stock advice. Will the crew get fed up with the fish's ever-increasing demands and expose it to deadly, deadly air? Yes

Stations and Spacemen - LARPing gets out of hand when the Space Wizards are involved. Random members of the crew have become Pen and Paper RPG cliches due to mind-affecting magic! Will it be a Monty Haul or a Rocks Fall Everyone Dies scenario?
The Purge - The heads of staff have barricaded them selves in security and the bridge and for 30 minutes all crime is legal except for a few ground rules 
1. you can't mess with the AI 
2. you can't kill the heads of staff
3. no blowing the ship/station up
4. no destroying the engine 
other then that anything goes
I think I'd really like the idea of "Radio Silence" as a game mechanic. As a game mode, it might be a bit iffy but as an antagonist tool it seems wonderful.
Perhaps as a stand-alone constructable feature, similar to a computer. The selected frequency is impossible to transmit on except for entities within X distance from the structure.
As a countermeasure, a GPS should be required to build the structure, and would allow one to find it. So I understand, in real life, it's possible to triangulate jammers so this seems plausable. Emagging it might disable the GPS.

I don't think any "Game modes" should be given to everybody. Ship-encompassing modes kind of defeat the idea of a sandbox, even if they are "Suggestions." Cooperative game modes (Such as X should protect Y, Y protect X) sound like they'd be neat but I currently lack the creativity to think of more.