Mentor Application: McFiggy
Usual Character Name: recently Elastical Gomez. Older names: Whizzy Whizzbomb (donutstation) Herb Baker (near the launch of cog1)
BYOND Username: McFiggy
Recommended by (if applicable): nobody I don't try to make e-friends but people here will probably recognize my character name
Times Available: I work weird hours so it's all over the map but I'm usually on avg 7 hrs/week, either all at once in a very unhealthy manner or spread out depending on how busy I am

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):
There's a ton of new people playing and I wanna help them out because it's really fun to teach clueless people how to use the game. This is entirely a selfish motive: it is way more fun with more people so I want the new players to learn enough that they'll become convinced to stay and keep playing. Once you get over the initial learning curve it's addicting so I want to bring in more addicts.

Experience:
I have been playing SS13 since the poo days on Donutstation when I was in high school when it was the Wild West days and I was a typical greytide griefer idiot. That was when I was like 15, I've matured since then and nowadays I am one of those weirdos who actually tries to do their job. So I mostly roll HOP and make people fill out paperwork if they ask for cap access just to see what crazy shit they write, if it's not cap access I basically always give them whatever they want. I mostly run/enable gimmicks... my HOP work now consists of politely reminding people "no roughhousing allowed" when I see a fight break out, trying to entrap Botanists into selling Crime Weed as the World's Least Convincing Narc and then brigging them for all of 30 seconds, and giving Wizards Assistant ID's because "I can't have undocumented workers here, man, we need to follow the rules", etc.

if I can't find anything funny to do I just go into understaffed departments and do their jobs to try to learn more about game mechanics I don't know about (blind spots I don't know that I really wanna learn are: botany, engineering, mining, telsci, artifacts, chef/loafing, network hacking, other than that I know a little bit of everything)

In practice I am either LARPing as a comically useless monologuing beurocrat or I'm powergaming at an APM that would bring a Korean starcraft champion to tears.

In terms of actual mechanics I'm good at: I know how to make all the chemistry stuff except for the borderline-useless circlejerk chems (I know a variety of poison mixes and healing/stamina buff mixes, from vending machine chemistry to elaborate nerd shit), how to make TTV's, how to break into/hack everything, basically all of the shortcuts/hotkeys (stupid little stuff like: putting your ID in your PDA, drinking coffee+chocolate at roundstart to get a stamina boost) and map knowledge so I can steal everything I would ever need at roundstart. also last month i've been almost exclusively running a roving medic, so I know surgery and I've been testing out creative shit like using shit like synthflesh in a spray bottle to rapid heal people from a distance. To sum it up I know a lot about healing/killing people because I started as a powergamer before becoming a Funny Online Man.

Thank you for reading my blog

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I only ever was banned on a now-defunct alt. server (I think Goon#4 was it's name) during Donutstation era when I rolled The World's Most Unskilled SecHOP (I was a dumb kid) and some guy fought me or crimed (can't remember which) and I didn't have a flash or handcuffs or anything because I didn't even know about that stuff yet so I just beat him unconscious while dragging him to the brig. Planned to heal him up after but got banned before I could, I posted an appeal but everyone was like "dude that server doesn't even exist anymore who cares".

I got a few scattered admin messages too throughout the years but no punishment for any of it because it was all minor shit

After reading a few more mentor apps I realized I should probably elaborate more on why I think I'd make a good mentor outside of just knowledge of secrets/ game knowledge of how to be a turbonerd

I am forced to do this as a reply and not an edit, so my mistakes are here forever, immortalised in a museum of shame. Please forgive this trespass against the halloewd grounds

I have tried to evangelize this game as much as possible because I fell in love with it and I want others to share in it's glory. I've convinced 3 of my IRL friends to check it out and tried to bully a few online friends into switching to Goonstation from tgstation (Currently to no avail but they'll see the light eventually)

While I can be flippant or seem nonserious I genuinely enjoy helping people have a good time and minimizing the Pain In The Ass Factor of the game for everyone which is why I recently found playing medic is way more fun than just stealing everything/powergaming

I've run into a lot of people who are just halfway to being good at the game recently from the Sseth video so I've tried to teach them stuff ingame in local chat, like basic stuff like how to take items/uncuff someone, so I'm hoping to channel that into a more useful avenue rather than being a smuglord know-it-all who goes around coaching people.

If it's teaching about a higher-end thing, not a basic thing... like if someone asks me like "hey how do I make sarin" I'll just give them hints (the helpful kind, not the riddle kind) or point them in a direction where they can learn about it because it's lame to spoil the fun of discovery.

After reading a few more mentor apps I realized I should probably elaborate more on why I think I'd make a good mentor outside of just knowledge of secrets/ game knowledge of how to be a turbonerd

I am forced to do this as a reply and not an edit, so my mistakes are here forever, immortalised in a museum of shame. Please forgive this trespass against the halloewd grounds

I have tried to evangelize this game as much as possible because I fell in love with it and I want others to share in it's glory. I've convinced 3 of my IRL friends to check it out and tried to bully a few online friends into switching to Goonstation from tgstation (Currently to no avail but they'll see the light eventually)

While I can be flippant or seem nonserious I genuinely enjoy helping people have a good time and minimizing the Pain In The Ass Factor of the game for everyone which is why I recently found playing medic is way more fun than just stealing everything/powergaming

I've run into a lot of people who are just halfway to being good at the game recently from the Sseth video so I've tried to teach them stuff ingame in local chat, like basic stuff like how to take items/uncuff someone, so I'm hoping to channel that into a more useful avenue rather than being a smuglord know-it-all who goes around coaching people.

If it's teaching about a higher-end thing, not a basic thing... like if someone asks me like "hey how do I make sarin" I'll just give them hints (the helpful kind, not the riddle kind) or point them in a direction where they can learn about it because it's lame to spoil the fun of discovery.
overall looks good

plus juan
To old for not mentor, get purpled you nerd
herb baker!!!!!!!! +1
I remember Herb Baker very fondly, definitely purple material! +1
Can +1 on Herb, distinctly remember playing with him back in the dayz
Used to see Herb all the time +1
Herb Baker +1
I know both Herb Baker and Elastical Gomez as good people, +1
Nothing but good interactions with Elastical Gomez and Herb Baker for me so +1.