Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Idea: Dead man's switch
Question 
I was looking for a way in-game to build a "dead man's hand" or "dead man's switch" of sorts. I know of the suicide vest but I was looking to build a device that would trigger a remote explosive upon death, instead of an explosive/hellchem strapped to one's chest.

I used mentorhelp, but was told this does not exist in-game, but that I should suggest it here (so here I am). So, here we go. The "dead man's switch" is a device meant to activate if the user becomes incapacitated, dies, or otherwise doesn't keep the switch depressed. Even the simple act of shoving somebody over or knocking the item out of their hands would trigger it.

I also have a rough crafting-recipe idea (and I mean rough). Perhaps a pressure sensor (with pressure crystal inserted), a cable coil, a multi-tool, and a remote signalling device. Then secure the assembly and tune to the frequency of your choosing. The device could be activated by tightening your grip. After that point, anything that would cause you to lose your grip on the item (death, critical condition, being shoved, slipping, or simply loosening your grip) would activate the remote signaler.

Just an idea. Rock on Goonstation!  Some banjo thing somebody bought for some great re
Hmm. I coulda swore there was a way to hook up a remote signaller to your heart or something. Maybe it was just a dream I had. I would love to have something like that. Hook up a deadmans switch to your heart and then hide bombs around the station would make for some good gimmicks.
i am the mentor who was pretty sure it didnt exist but should be suggested, so +1
You could have a remote signaler sewn inside you and then just fart when you get put into crit.
(05-01-2019, 06:48 PM)Berrik Wrote: You could have a remote signaler sewn inside you and then just fart when you get put into crit.

Or you could have a health implant and have a mechcomp thing set up to broadcast a signal when the health mailbot announces your death.

No reason why there shouldn't be a way to rig a suicide vest to activate a signaller instead of an igniter though.
Why not just have the suicide vest accept a signaller as an output method? You could hook up the vest to send a signal out once your heart rate stops
I like the idea of requiring it to be held, blowing up if it gets dropped. I swear there was a big thread about this a bit back.
(05-02-2019, 05:36 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I like the idea of requiring it to be held, blowing up if it gets dropped. I swear there was a big thread about this a bit back.

Yeah there was. I remember someone wanted it just like the dead mans switch that the guy from Terminator 2 had and posted that video.
We retread a lot of suggestions over the years
Do armed proximity sensors trigger while being held? Do they do their thing if dropped while armed?
I know that health sensors exist on other servers as a thing you can add to an assembly similar to signallers/proximity sensors, and they can be set to either trigger on death or when you enter crit.

Also, suicide vests are really annoying to make, because they require an armor vest for some reason. Shouldn't you be able to use at least a toolbelt for something like that?
(05-03-2019, 05:03 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: I know that health sensors exist on other servers as a thing you can add to an assembly similar to signallers/proximity sensors, and they can be set to either trigger on death or when you enter crit.

Also, suicide vests are really annoying to make, because they require an armor vest for some reason. Shouldn't you be able to use at least a toolbelt for something like that?

Think they didnt want it to be too easy to make, so you have to atleast get your hands on the armor.
And thanks to that, I have only ever seen one once in my 1 1/2 to 2 years of playing. 

Its easier to just mix your chems with the beaker drag and drop instead, or use a preheated beaker.

(05-02-2019, 05:36 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I like the idea of requiring it to be held, blowing up if it gets dropped. I swear there was a big thread about this a bit back.

https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=11520