Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
make the HoS app easier/simpler/trial hos rounds
Sans Gerhazo (who was adminned mid app), there have been 10 HoS apps since March 2018. I think a massive issue with the lack of applications (in comparison to 2012-14) is the "how would you improve the brig" question. 

We have a lot of maps now- that question adds at least 200 words and I think that's a conservative estimate. I'm 100% certain that is the question that's holding back a ton of people from applying. If I were applying for HoS today, there's no chance I'd fill that out.

I'd also be cool with lowering the wordcount by 100 words or so but I can understand why not.

We can add a funny question over it again; something about top-tier apiarist strats, floor cluwnes, idk. That question is, as it stands, dog shit.

I've also been playing around with running trial HoS rounds where I coordinate before the round with someone who's rolling out as a cop. I change the name on my ID to their name & either kill myself or work as a vanilla officer to see how they operate. I found this quickly weeds out bad recruits (I wrote my very first -1) and lets others stand out. (I've given 3 trial HoS rounds- one uneventful where kudzu dominated the flow of the round, one terrible and another where the cop absolutely shone in a way I've never seen them before).

I'm suggesting that if a trial HoS round was completed successfully with the observing HoS also giving some sort of 50 words @ minimum review that the applicant's word count gets cut in half. There aren't many better ways to judge if someone's beret-material over actually slapping it on their head and observing them. I know I'd be willing to run a few- I'm not sure if anyone else would, but what do you guys think?
Instead of the security layout question, what about either what advice would you give to other security players or what makes a good security round?

Also trial HoS rounds sound like a cool and good idea, but I'm not sure if cutting word counts is the best way to reward a successful round. Maybe just some sort of additional weight to that observing HoS' opinion or a fast track of the app?
(04-29-2019, 08:45 PM)Flourish Wrote: Instead of the security layout question, what about either what advice would you give to other security players or what makes a good security round?

Also trial HoS rounds sound like a cool and good idea, but I'm not sure if cutting word counts is the best way to reward a successful round. Maybe just some sort of additional weight to that observing HoS' opinion or a fast track of the app?

I think that's an excellent replacement
HoS Apps have gone down since HoS and Mentor was seperated. Before when you applied for HoS you got Mentor as well so the 600 words made sense. Now since you ONLY get HoS when you apply for HoS there is less people applying for it. HoS don't even get special colored names anymore so people probably see less of a reason to apply for it.
Brig ideas was a recurring topic for a while back like, 2 (3?) years ago. This was prior to map rotation when Cog1 genpop was a hot mess without crystal glass and basically made all officers collectively lose their sanity and security was often left unmanned as a result.

Sec since then has got a lot of love and the brigs in all maps have generally improved to not be completely cakewalks for prisoners, so aside from small little suggestions to improve functionality, it's really not relevant or shouldn't be a concern for someone applying for HoS. The brig is like 20% of the workload, even lower for some peeps who prefer ... alternative punishment

So yeah, remove it from the HoS application and reduce the word count by 100 each on "security experience" & on "reasons for application" and add what Flourish suggested, with no extra word count. All in all, 400 word count min.

As an addendum, you know that helpful little note that occurs at the start of every round? Another note should be added along the lines of

"Do you roll security often and are interested in HoS? Apply at the forums! Collaborating with existing HoS' will greatly improve your chances of being approved!"
(04-30-2019, 04:40 AM)Sundance Wrote: Brig ideas was a recurring topic for a while back like, 2 (3?) years ago. This was prior to map rotation when Cog1 genpop was a hot mess without crystal glass and basically made all officers collectively lose their sanity and security was often left unmanned as a result.

Remember when the brig had folding chairs?

So inmates had pathetically easy access to breaking into security even if they were thrown in naked?

Man, good times.
Good post. I've been complaining about a lot of the same stuff in discord for a while but haven't actually done anything about it. I've long hated the "brig layout" question. It was fine 5 or 6 years ago, but now has no use.

I like your idea of trial HoS, that sounds like it was fun. I agree with Flourish that reducing required word count as a result of a successful trial HoS app is probably not the way to go about it. Perhaps that is a section that can be added to the HoS app explicitly or it should just count as a recommendation. Probably the latter because adding a whole other "trial run" section that the applicant would have to organize with an admin or HoS before their application is another hurdle to jump through. And if the goal here is to make the HoS application less stressful, then I think that making it a faux-mandatory addition to the HoS application is counter to that goal.

But reducing mandatory word count over all is a good idea. I've said in the past that I thought that the "Reason for Application" section is rather pointless, and requiring 300 words for it is too many. That section really is only to gauge how motivated the applicant is because those sections all look exactly the same no matter who is writing them and there is never any useful information in them other than "Someone took the time to write this, they must be serious". A question like that has value in some situations, but I don't think that it does here.

I've had this sitting around on my computer in a notepad tab for a month or so since I saw Flourish write up some good new HoS application questions to replace the "brig layout" one:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Usual Character Name:
BYOND Username:
Recommended by (if applicable):
Times Available:

Reason for Application (no word minimum):

Security Experience (300 word minimum):

//In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):
Choose two or more:

- What advice would you give to other sec players?
- What was your favorite security moment? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
- Describe an instance of when you or an HoS has had to remove a Captain from command.
- Describe any differences in your playstyle as part of a full security team or being the only security officer?

Fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun. Choose one or more):
- Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/poo.
- What's a security/command gimmick that you've run or wanted to run?
- In your personal opinion, which current HoS is the most robust?

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I still think the only reason people are not applying anymore is because there is not enough incentive to do so.
Like I said you use to also get mentor purple username but nowadays you get no fancy color to flex on everyone with.
And also no one really cares about the armory as much anymore. All the good stuff in there you can just hack to get it.
There's good stuff in the armory?
I agree that the main reasoning behind the lack of people applying for HoS is the lack of incentives. You have to write a ~700-word essay to access a role that is basically a Security Officer with slightly more authority and access. I'm personally more of a fan of increasing incentives, but as I don't really know what would qualify as a good new incentive, I think Kyle's template is probably the best option.
Kyle's template is very good; I think trial HoS rounds would be best to field good candidates. Reducing word count might be too heavy.
since people seem to mention the name color that mentor gives you a lot in the same breath as reasons for mentor application, what if heads of security got a fancy *red* forum color that takes precedence over mentor purple?
That'd be cool, however I personally would never sign up, even if I got good, out of anxiety. The current thing feels like an actual job interview and I'm not good at those :P
I'm more of a casual player but I still would like to play HoS from time to time, as I think I'm decent at Security (I play as Bryce), but the massive requirements for the application are just too much to handle.

I'd very much so love to fill out Kyles' form, since it seems a lot more... fun. And useful! It would appear to gauge not how dedicated a potential HoS player would be, but rather how good of an HoS they may be. And, since the HoS isn't some sort of god-role and is just another crewmember (technically ranked lower than Captain, the armory is a powerful tool but it's very possible to acquire more potent stuff from other places, and they're a high-priority target), I don't see why the application should be so strenuous.

Will Kyles' form be made official or a new official form made from an edited version of it?
I think Kyle's application is the way to go. For a while when I began as sec I thought the HoS was some super serious role, and I feel the current application reflects that. However as I played more and more and got better as sec, I learned that HoS and security is not as super serious as someone may think when playing as other roles. You just have to not be dumb. I feel like making the application more fun and inviting makes people less worried about filling out the application. I also think cyber's idea of a red OOC/forum color makes sense as it provides more incentive and shows that you are a more experienced player.