Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
If the AI insults a crew member, is Law 1 broken?
If a crewmember is deeply injured by the AI's rude words, does that break the "you may not injure a human" clause? The law doesn't specify that it can't be any other form of injury. And in general insults are very not in character for the AI, due to how they're supposed to be emotionally detached and all
"Emotional damage is a myth, feel free to give mental trauma as you please"
(04-29-2019, 12:08 AM)Carbadox Wrote: If a crewmember is deeply injured by the AI's rude words, does that break the "you may not injure a human" clause? The law doesn't specify that it can't be any other form of injury. And in general insults are very not in character for the AI, due to how they're supposed to be emotionally detached and all

No.

If you feel like the AI is bullying you (lol) then tell him to shut it, law 2. The AI could probably (if he's really sticking to his guns) challenge this by referring to the hierarchy. The heads then could also confirm that he is being a dingus and command him to shut up, or if it's one of the non-rp servers, probably giggle/get distracted by real shit - in which case the AI will take that as a nil response and continue his heckling.

Even if it's the RP server, where you could claim grievous mental anguish from the AI calling you a meatbag - this isn't really the RP I think we're trying to encourage.
The AI after all by the very nature of calling you a meatbag is RPing too, and I personally feel the AI saying mean things is one of the very few outlets an AI can vent its frustration at the freakshow Nanotrasen calls a station.

The whole "emotional attachment" is very much open for debate. There is no law to state the AI can't RP emotion, it's entirely down to the AI how he wants to play his role within the realms of its laws.
Rule lawyering in any form should be responded to with mass beatings.
Sassy AIs are a classic part of SS13. So no, this doesnt break rule 1.

Just as an interesting note - this is a topic that actually gets discussed in the Asimov books. If you guys like rules lawyering with the AI laws you really need to give those a read!
For the record, I didnt start the thread because AI called my fanny pack an abomination, I'm curious about people's interpretation of the law
Considering the law is very clearly meant to mean "Don't screwdriver someone in the face", the AI being a dick emotionally isn't even worth paying attention to. Not to mention that (if we're going in character), the AI simply could have been programmed to talk to people like a giant asshole.

It could also be a sign of a non-malicious law change, especially if it refuses to stop after citing law 2.
I don't trust an AI that doesn't sass. Usually AIs are so bored that all they have is sass. If they ain't sassin then they an assassin.
Course just make sure that your sass targets the spaceman and not the dweebus operating the spaceman. Unless it's really funny.
I don't think asimov applies here, because the zeroeth law of robotics was to help humanity as a whole. We're clones, damn it.
i can't believe this thread wasn't a joke
Law 1, stop hurting the original posters feelings.
Now lets say, as the AI, I decide to call everyone Daddy and use copious amounts of owo-speak while avoiding Rule 4 breakage. Would making the crew mortally uncomfortable break Law 1?
(05-08-2019, 06:21 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Now lets say, as the AI, I decide to call everyone Daddy and use copious amounts of owo-speak while avoiding Rule 4 breakage. Would making the crew mortally uncomfortable break Law 1?

Theres almost no way you could violate law 1 through choice of words before breaking law 2, and honestly, law 3, because you're baiting a killswitch at that point. 

in other words, 

Hoomans iz nawt hawwmed by nuzzies, but they's gowna hawm you! oWo;; 
To be honest. You god damn well know you are going to get kill switched or law changed if you start speaking like that