Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Random Event: Extradimensional psychic creatures accidentally "invade" the station
A major random event/random event antagonist that spawns a bunch of npc monster mobs that can attack the crew. I don't have it super fleshed out, just a bunch of loosely connected ideas about it floating around and wanted to put it out there and see if anyone can add anything to make it not-shit. I kind of pitched this in discord a few months ago and never did anything with it, but I think it could make for an interesting random event. I kind of got the general idea from that episode of Star Trek TNG, Where No One Has Gone Before, where they're in some crazy place and psychic constructs are manifesting around the ship.

The main idea is a sort of area denial/pve enemy fight event. Like how the radiation blowout confines people who want to live to the maintenance tunnels or lockers, but less immediately deadly. Followed are some specifics I was knocking around:

• The event lasts about 4-6 minutes. During that time monsters will spawn in the hallways throughout the station, attacking anyone they find in the hallways. Probably will only spawn a couple dozen npcs over the course of the event depending on the severity. They will either be unable to leave the hallways or take lots of damage when not in hallway areas. 
  • There will be a couple different kinds of monsters that spawn. 
  1. One kind will be some relatively weak but swarmy npc monsters that just attack people nearby, applying brain or burn damage and disorients.
  2. The other kind will be mobs that will be playable by ghosts to let them get in on the action. Essentially, it'll give dead players a popup similar to how it will for the random event antag. Only it will allow a lot more than just one or two players to get involved. They'll be similar to the NPC monsters, maybe some players will even control those too. And their main objective is just to attack enough people to sustain themselves. Like, they'll exist (unless killed by the crew or leaving the hallway) for maybe the first half of the event timer, then they'll gradually take increasing damage that can only be offset by finding victims to drain of "psychic energy" (brain damage) or something. Maybe they should be able to drain blood too or something so they can subsist of a corpse that is killed by brain damage, not sure.
  • If an NPC or a player accumulates enough psychic points something should happen to raise the stakes a bit more. Maybe it "evolves" into a bigger psychic creature which can indefinitely manifest on the station outside of the hallways. Or maybe it should just teleport out of the station going back to its own dimension, taking a chunk of it replacing it with something like void tiles.
  • As far as the crew is concerned, I want to give them a reason to want to fight these creatures instead of just avoiding the hallways for a few minutes. Maybe they should drop a decent quality material on death, or some sort of "psychic" meat that the chef can cook or you can eat for some sort of food buff. Maybe it could have a chance to give you a random psychic-related genetics power if you eat it.
As far as it goes lore-wise, I wasn't really sure in what way it would fit with any of the other stuff that exists and I didn't have anything in mind other than, "Something causes these extradimensional creatures to get stranded on the space station". As for why they are only able to stay in the hallways, the reasoning I had was that they are peaceful, but terrified and want to get back to their dimension and have some sort of psychic nonsense ingrained in their being that prevents them from wanting to harm any living things, but it considers the hallways of the station to have a special significance that allows them to exist there and see anything living in that space as food to eat. Ever see Shinsekai Yori? Or that episode of Futurama where Bender tries to get a free will chip? Like that.
man I love this idea but of course I would
This would be amazing for Robustinating practice, I say yay, make it today
better than the magnetic fields!
MORE PVE!!! MORE PVE!!!!!!!!!
omg sounds super cool
I like the idea. 
When i read the title, i immidiently thought about these bad boys from Stellaris
[Image: Alien_extradimensional_01.png]
Hey so, just providing a bit of feedback lorewise, i'd say it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that a disruption in the nearby gigantic time-space toilet called the channel that the shuttle goes through could spit out some nasty wraith-like or psuedo-corporeal eldritch entities, so I wouldn't worry too much on that, after all the channel is safe.

As for the event itself - I see no reason why not, Co-operative events like this are a plus in my book, and honestly it'd probably be a better replacement for "hey some wasps flew into the ship/station go deal with them".
It would be nice if this let ghosts take control of a few of the monsters (with the same restrictions as midround antag)
(04-27-2019, 11:58 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: (...) playable by ghosts to let them get in on the action. (...)As far as it goes lore-wise(...)
"Did I just hear 'JOINING CHAOS'?"
me "customv headbutts 5 star thread rating link.