Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How would you improve the singularity engine?
Another idea: Adjustable emitters. Raise and lower how much energy is shot out of them. When more energy is being put into a field generator, that generator produces more gravitional pull. 

If one corner of the setup has more pull, the singularity will spin and rotate. This generates more power, but makes the Singularity more volatile and influences its speed and direction if released

Reverse the spin of the Singularity to make it more stable again
Maybe instead of just being boring and deleting the singularity, the singularity absorbs all explosions that take place very close to it and ups its power generation accordingly, and makes it have a variety of dangerous affects (such as moving faster, electrical arcing, increasing frequency + intensity of EMPs, and triggering fun events at especially high power levels).
On a related note, I sort of wish the thermoelectric engine had a few more terrifying quirks to it other than its ominous droning and shaking at 4 MW.
Stick a beam thingy in front of it like the thing on Hemera that shoots into the obsidian crown. Singularity no longer produces power on its own, beam has to fire into it to cause it to emit energy that can be collected. Bunch of different "beam focusing crystals" or whatever, things you can jam into the beam thingy to make it shoot different kinds of beams. Engineering should start with a few different kinds, maybe throw some weird ones out in space or let them be produced out of material science.

Different crystals cause different amounts of energy to be produced by the singularity but also cause it to do different fucked up shit. Basic one is the way it is now, a basic amount of energy but the singularity doesn't do much beyond just sit there. Other ones could make it shoot out huge amounts of murder radiation, hypnotize people and force them to walk toward it, grow gradually over time, vomit void goo and space horrors, arc flashes, fire, smaller singularities, whatever other horrible shit anyone can think of in exchange for those sweet, sweet watts.
I only like the TEG better due to hellburns. Without the massive fires, exponential growth and space melting heat... it's fairly benign.

The sing just needs more ambient, flashy effects and the danger that goes with them. That and bringing the growth in line with the TEG. Theoretical output of sing gens is a bit higher than a few MW.

Of course the main resource required is gonna be sprites.
Maybe change the singularity into something more like a wormhole and... something about getting power from sending things through it?
(04-30-2019, 09:12 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Maybe change the singularity into something more like a wormhole and... something about getting power from sending things through it?

Hook up the wormhole to the disposal system and encourage people to throw away their trash. Potentially including corpses.

Trash Engine.
Poor Tator
Get mport to clean up his mess
(04-25-2019, 09:47 PM)APARTHEID Wrote: On a related note, I sort of wish the thermoelectric engine had a few more terrifying quirks to it other than its ominous droning and shaking at 4 MW.

making the TEG more dangerous wouldn't really accomplish the goal of making the singularity more interesting to work with but it's still a good idea I think
Honestly, I think that having an engine with a very low babysitting requirement encourages more engineers to actually fix things on the station.

Variety is the spice of life. Sometimes I think that can mean having an engineering team that can do things other than work on the engine because they can trust it to just work.

That said, Oshan's engine finds a good balance. Whatever we do with the singularity, I think it would be a nice change of pace to keep the low-investment option there.
(06-03-2019, 06:10 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Honestly, I think that having an engine with a very low babysitting requirement encourages more engineers to actually fix things on the station.

Variety is the spice of life. Sometimes I think that can mean having an engineering team that can do things other than work on the engine because they can trust it to just work.

That said, Oshan's engine finds a good balance. Whatever we do with the singularity, I think it would be a nice change of pace to keep the low-investment option there.

TEG has very little babysitting requirement if set up correctly, arguably around the same as the singularity. I definitely think it's more a matter of the mechanics of the engines.
(06-03-2019, 06:10 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Honestly, I think that having an engine with a very low babysitting requirement encourages more engineers to actually fix things on the station.

I think there also needs to be some good reasons to want to push an engine past it's safer settings.

More equipment like the PTL or shields that eat power up faster than a standard engine can put out, requiring pushing the engine or diverting power away from lighting and equipment in other areas
Kinda off-topic, but a reminder that it is said the singularity generates power based off of Hawking radiation.

RIP
(06-05-2019, 04:13 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: Kinda off-topic, but a reminder that it is said the singularity generates power based off of Hawking radiation.

RIP

So realistically any extra "bonus" methods for generating more power should involve the radiation collectors? I'm not sure what you're getting at.