Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make camera monitors use the upgraded camera system
See title. The handheld camera monitors use the old nasty pick-off-a-list-and-reset dialogue, I'd prefer if they were just mobile versions of the new cameras.

Alternatively add a radio-style intercom to the cam room in the NSV Renanin radiostation because dammit I want to observe and comment on the station's haps.
Oh god yes please, camera monitors are such a pain to use.
When I made the new security camera computer window, I more or less intentionally left out updating the handheld camera monitors. I kinda thought that maybe it would make the handheld monitor too good so leaving the basic "interface" for it was fine. And well, it's a bit more work isn't it?

But I suppose that maybe the handheld monitor pick list is a little too useless, I don't think I've ever used it in game. Maybe if people do want it, then it could be added. But I don't want to make it an over powered item that competent sec should feel obliged to carry on them at all times.
(04-27-2019, 09:19 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: When I made the new security camera computer window, I more or less intentionally left out updating the handheld camera monitors. I kinda thought that maybe it would make the handheld monitor too good so leaving the basic "interface" for it was fine. And well, it's a bit more work isn't it?

But I suppose that maybe the handheld monitor pick list is a little too useless, I don't think I've ever used it in game. Maybe if people do want it, then it could be added. But I don't want to make it an over powered item that competent sec should feel obliged to carry on them at all times.

I believe a fair middle ground to this would be making it so the selection doesn't go back to the top of the list after each camera view change, and possibly sort the list by nearby cameras. As it stands it's always an annoyance to scroll through the list.
Oooo or how about the handhelds having a battery that drains as it is used, making it more of an emergency 1 use tool
Perhaps this could be applied to just the special camera monitors that come with spy sticker kits?
This is less of an issue imo now that I figured out you can rebuild the security monitor next to the radio station's main seat.
However, making the camera selection list's behavior not fucking suck would still be good.

(04-27-2019, 10:17 PM)Skornzy Wrote: I believe a fair middle ground to this would be making it so the selection doesn't go back to the top of the list after each camera view change, and possibly sort the list by nearby cameras. As it stands it's always an annoyance to scroll through the list.

Yeah like this guy said.
Maybe make it a map with buttons on it for pressing, would make it far easier to navigate and would help you know relatively where it is

Bonus points if it has a big "You are here!" sign on it

(Only problem would be that every map would need it's own UI for it, another choice could be sorting cameras by department with the ability to minimize each department's tab)
Not sure why the original suggestion of just making the new camera interface show up for handheld camera monitors isn't enough. I think it's good and solves all the problems without more work.
My final suggestion is that a code nerd picks their favorite (easiest) one and adds it
I mean, it's a rare item. The detective spawns with it, the HoS (I don't think it's in his/her locker) and there's another lying around the station? That's like 4 tops, 2 in secure areas.

Ya'll making this item out to be better than what it actually is - which is just a remote viewing device. Give it the improved interface, nothing added nor taken away.