Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Job specific radio channels for cyborg modules
Communication is everything and cyborgs are kind of left out of the loop when it comes to speaking over the radio with the department related to their module.

Now that the AI can speak trough any department specific channel I think it would only be fair to give cyborgs access to a department channel related to their module.

Being able to directly communicate with your fellow engineers when setting the engine etc. or alerting your fellow medics of incoming bodies sent to the morgue etc.

Security especially is as strong as their communication over their radio is so giving Brobocop borgs access to the channel as well would make playing as one much more intriguing.
Agree 100%.

Communicating and coordinating with other members of your department makes for a more enjoyable/memorable round experience, I see no reason why Cyborgs should be left out of the loop. Departmental channels go a long way in making the station feel more "alive", so I support anything that encourages more people to use them.
100%, the AI function is very good, but function specific would make sense for specialized modules.
Is there a reason why they should not just have access to all channels, like the AI does?
(04-17-2019, 02:32 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: Is there a reason why they should not just have access to all channels, like the AI does?

I would assume because borgs aren't exactly this omnipresent overseer of the whole station like the AI is and also so that the borgs wouldn't be bombarded with all of the other job radio messages when they only need the one they chose the module for.

Another reason i can think of would be in the case of a rogue AI if all the borgs had access to all the radio channels to eavesdrop on people possibly planning something against the rogue silicon army.
Well, in the event of a rogue AI, the AI can already hear everything and can forward that to borgs.

Maybe allow all channels, but default to only having the department one enabled? Though that'd require adding the ability to mute certain channels to normal headsets...
A good idea.
My thought for Brobocop was initially to give this module a 1 way radio that brobocop can communicate to sec, but can't listen in. This was before the AI could communicate to security back and forth so I was very much retaining the status quo.
Now that the AI can communicate, I see no reason Brobocop or especially any other module can't communicate with their respective Department.
Seeing how we have lately been getting some general improvements to cyborgs I'm gonna just bump this thread.

Boop.
I think borgs shouldn't get access to all channels just because the AI does for the same reason security officers don't get access to all channels even though the captain does.

sure, the ai/captain can relay messages, but they might make a mistake in relaying the message of or have some kind of reason not to. depending on the law set, they might even outright lie.

limiting comms is good when doing so allows for interesting situations. I'm hella down for giving borgs access to department radios, but I'm against the idea of giving them all comms.
Imagine the borg modules being fitted with a department headset function basically.