Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.43 Average
Do not drop items when pressing Rest
Suggestion: Allow holding of items while resting without dropping them. Being knocked over or slipping or passing out etc will still drop items.

Why?

It’s totally reasonable to believe that a person lying down of their own free will can hold an object. 

In game, people without legs can already do this. And what is a resting  besides a conscious decision to not use ones legs
flawless logic that unfortunately opens the door to a lot of abusive features.
think about how much fartmankind could do while prone and holding tools
You’re right, I do realize it changes the balance significantly. But is it out of the question to balance these features?

Like self surgery. It would be easier to do than it is currently, but what if it REALLY F*KD you up

As for items and tools, maybe trying to interact with certain things was blocked.

Door hacking -> “You can’t reach that high while lying down!”

Shooting -> Bad accuracy

All im sayin is that it’s kind of weird that legless people can do these things and i feel like there’s a conspiracy involved
i dont know how i feel about this, i'll offer two sides that i'm thinking in my head :

AGAINST : A 'laying down' state is the game's visual language to tell you that someone cannot perform any attacks on you. For instance, you could get stunned, stay grounded, and then pull out a weapon to stun the bad guy. They wouldn't have any idea you were able to attack yet unless they counted the stun timer in their head.
It also may make RESTing under taser bolts a super dominant combat option (because there's no punishment for trying to evade the shot if you dont drop your weapon)

FOR : expands the applications of items and movement, i'm imagining situations where a doctor can play dead in order to heal their wounded crewmembers.

maybe, as some sorta compromise to my 'AGAINST' points, there could be some sort of interaction debuff while you are lying down. Weakened attacks, worsened gun aim, usage delays, etc.

also re : self surgery i made it so you can perform it while standing on an optable now, no need to do the janky rest stuff at all

edit : i was typing my post at the same time as you, looks like you offered some of the same compromises i mentioned
Very good points, I’m especially interested in the “resting under taser shots” aspect.

First, harm intent hits people on the ground anyways.
But second, that actually sounds awesome. Hitting the deck to dodge shots sounds like a whole lot of fun, a reaction based dodge like what the matrix flopout trait was supposed to do but more controlled and less opaque on when it actually works
Getting stunned and staying down wouldn't be as much of an issue, since you would (or should) drop your items when stunned, no? You'd have to pick them back up to use them while laying down.

Possibly make flopping add a debuff that prevents using items for a second or three? Maybe also when moving? So if you lay down you can ambush, but if you're trying to use it to dodge or otherwise flop around you can't just spring up and shoot someone.
(04-16-2019, 11:30 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: Getting stunned and staying down wouldn't be as much of an issue, since you would (or should) drop your items when stunned, no? You'd have to pick them back up to use them while laying down.

Possibly make flopping add a debuff that prevents using items for a second or three? Maybe also when moving? So if you lay down you can ambush, but if you're trying to use it to dodge or otherwise flop around you can't just spring up and shoot someone.

Hoooot damn this is fire. I’m excited to play just thinking about all the epic things this makes possible. Crazy chases involving diving under plastic flaps. Capulettium plus fueled ambushes. Functional dodge!!
You could use different sprites for lying down. Face up where you are able to use items, and face down for being unable to use things. Roll to get from one position to the other

Maybe crawling is only possible on your stomach, while using items on your back, so you trade movement for item use

Additionally, this opens the door a bit for surgery, as you could have different results depending on whether the patient was on their back or stomach
you can already dodge taser shots etc. by ducking under them, this change would just remove the downside of doing so (you drop held items). Which i was thinking might be a little strong / make tasers too weak.
Another idea: Rolling while prone (probably with the *flip hotkeys) gives you a short little speed boost at the cost of stamina. Roll away from danger or underneath some flaps
(04-16-2019, 12:11 PM)mbc Wrote: you can already dodge taser shots etc. by ducking under them, this change would just remove the downside of doing so (you drop held items). Which i was thinking might be a little strong / make tasers too weak.

That's where my idea of a debuff that prevented you from using items came in, since while you could do that you also wouldn't be able to fight back. Maybe add a slight speed penalty upon flopping as well? As it is, you can get up and immediately go full sprint (unless you start moving before you get up in which case welp)
You can use items while laying down with the P hotkey. You just have to use them fast before you redrop them
This method always felt like jank cheese. Very useful but jank cheese nonetheless
Making it not jank cheese sounds good, perhaps if you get stunned add a second status effect that makes you have shakey hands after you get unstunned.
I'm not a fan of this. We'll see two people lying down shooting at each other with tasers and having everything miss eventually. It's a good idea but I think it might suck in practice.