Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does Goonstation not time lock jobs?
For example, /tg/ makes it that your account has to be like a month old in order to play an AI or X amount of hours as doctor to be eligible for chief medical officer. Similar systems in place for colonial marines so new players don't get these roles. Is there any particular reason why Goonstation does not do things like this?
There's a lot less pressure for those roles to do their job, and station performance isn't impacted too badly by a vital role wandering into space. All that really matters is if they follow the rules, and that's not something that needs a certain playtime to understand.
People have argued for sec to have at least like a couple hours of playtime timelock but the powers that be said no.
(04-12-2019, 08:06 PM)Superlagg Wrote: There's a lot less pressure for those roles to do their job, and station performance isn't impacted too badly by a vital role wandering into space. All that really matters is if they follow the rules, and that's not something that needs a certain playtime to understand.

I see, why is the pressure a lot less?
(04-13-2019, 12:09 AM)Singularitymell Wrote: I see, why is the pressure a lot less?

Well- Most of the goonstation Servers are Low RP, which has a result of almost everyone quickly picking up the basics of most important jobs to improve their own chances at survival (Eg almost anyone can do truly basic attaching or removing surgery- name and sometimes make the basic medical chems- and hack open doors), as well most of the heads don't have any more real responsibility then those below them, just more toys to mess with- WITH EXCEPTION for the HOS and Captain, the first has control and may pass judgement over a majority of the defences and combat potential of the station while the latter is a glorified staff assistant with all access. in addition the stations generally start off with enough power to last an hour long round- longer if someone runs around swapping power cells in high priority areas so even without anyone with engineering access and knowledge things usually won't go too wrong there.
theres not really any reason to put a time restriction. when i played tg i just played it once, left for a month, then came back to play AI, so it was an unneeded time stop.

and yeah goon is less intense on doing your job perfectly, the only job that would maybe need time restriction is sec which has been recently debated, but denied
Only job I see a use for it is sec. A full team of sec makes the game more fun for everybody, even if they're only at mallcop level. Only real requirement is that they know how law and order works on goonstation. Problem is that takes time and experience. You permabrig someone for having poison or think it's funny to stun and strip everybody for no reason and you're gonna get an admin or a mob.

That itself might be why we don't have em'. We're kinda self regulating. We see any stanford prison experiment shit going on and it's usually taken care of in ooc or ic if necessary. A regular rolling chaplain could easily trounce some abusive newguy captain spouting racist remarks. It only really became a warranted idea recently with all the new players.
The sec timelock debate really only came up because of the huge influx of new players, many of which flocked to security jobs just so they could be assholes to other people.

(04-13-2019, 12:09 AM)Singularitymell Wrote: I see, why is the pressure a lot less?

Outside of the RP server, there's no requirement or even expectation to do your job, or only your job. If you know how to do something, and have the tools to break in, you can, and there's no rule saying that you can't be a know-it-all spaceman even as a Staff Assistant.

Plus, having newbie or incompetent staff opens up opportunities for teaching people, or getting experience in not being entirely reliant on certain departments, which is useful when said departments turn out to be evil or nonfunctional.