Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minor Lights are popping for no discernable reason
I hope this just gets removed entirely because it's ridiculous and doesn't really add anything, and like was said above, it really ruins the ability to use welding tanks for nefarious purposes when they tend to go off on their own.
this was never a feature, bromatos! It just popped (heh get it) up recently.

Flourish decreased the chances EVEN MORE like 1.5 weeks ago so this should be solved, leaving open tho
Shift time: 0 minutes
It is still happening.

[Image: 6f595c2223c7f78e12dba252fa631bff.png]
(05-12-2019, 09:43 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: this was never a feature, bromatos! It just popped (heh get it) up recently.

Flourish decreased the chances EVEN MORE like 1.5 weeks ago so this should be solved, leaving open tho

Forgive me for my ignorance but why decrease the chances and not remove it outright?
It wasn't me who made the changes, but maybe so people will have something to fix? Not sure.

Anecdotally, though, I can confirm that this has always been a thing. Recently, the frequency seemed drastically increase for some reason, but I have no clue why.
Do lights themselves generate heat now? While a wild stab in the dark, it's the only thing I can think of that would be leading to lights committing suicide, as any sort of heat source will make a light pop on its own.
I think it's just to simulate lights don't last forever and what not, and eventually they burn out.

The problem is that lights that burn out tend to not be placed next to things that explode for looking at them wrong in real life.

Osha just doesn't care about space stations. Not in their jurisdiction.
The simplest solution would to just make burning-out bulbs not emit sparks everywhere, which is what causes the main problem of lights igniting welder tanks.
Why not remove the random burn outs entirely but keep the sparks, so that rogue AIs and borgs can still pop them on purpose.
The short out option causes light bulbs to straight up break, not burn out, so it would make sense for them to still emit the sparks.
(05-18-2019, 09:56 PM)sartorius Wrote: Do lights themselves generate heat now? While a wild stab in the dark, it's the only thing I can think of that would be leading to lights committing suicide, as any sort of heat source will make a light pop on its own.

Seems plausible. If the lights do generate heat, then maybe some kind of server lag might be preventing that heat from spreading between heat cycles. Might be testable with a tiny room and a lamp.

How does heat work? Do hot objects heat up the atmos in the tile, and if so, how often? And can this heat transfer back into the thing that made the heat?
if lights made heat then every light would break, not just some, randomly
(05-20-2019, 04:20 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: if lights made heat then every light would break, not just some, randomly

Not necessarily! If they pop at a certain temperature, and generate heat below that temperature, then with proper dissipation and ventilation they shouldn't pop. If the atmos thing doesn't spread the heat properly, then heat could build up rapidly and pop the light.

this also depends on atmos being able to bungle up on certain tiles, though.
Singh and Azungar have since confirmed that this is an intended feature distinct from temperature-related lights popping. Azungar toned it down to tolerable levels a couple weeks back, so I guess this is resolved?

Though the burning out still creates sparks that can randomly detonate welding tanks, which remains something that could probably be changed,
(05-20-2019, 06:19 PM)sodly Wrote: Singh and Azungar have since confirmed that this is an intended feature distinct from temperature-related lights popping. Azungar toned it down to tolerable levels a couple weeks back, so I guess this is resolved?

Though the burning out still creates sparks that can randomly detonate welding tanks, which remains something that could probably be changed,

It's not resolved if people still hate it.

Edit: Just realized this was under bug reports, so it's technically resolved, but still an annoyance.