Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minor Lights are popping for no discernable reason
Light tubes (and possibly also bulbs), at least on both the station and debris z-levels, are bizarrely breaking of their own accord. No ion storm; no heat; no staff assistants whacking them with crowbars: just singular lights randomly popping on the station and places like the mining and tech outpost. Over the course of the round, this can completely black out some areas.

And a whole bunch of these tubes have fuel tanks beneath them

e: And given this is occurring off the station z-level, we can also cross Super Protector Friend off the list of suspects.
e x 2: The report in the Oshan thread here sounds like a symptom of this bug.
Can confirm, at least on Cog2. In fact, I saw this as an observer who joined before the round started.
I saw at least one happen on Cog 2. Didn't think anything about it at the time.
As far as i'm aware this has always happened. Feature?
(04-12-2019, 04:24 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: As far as i'm aware this has always happened. Feature?

It happened as a result of ion storms. Now it's happening for no clear reason, which was not previously the case: you could have a round running for five hours on lowpop (so no random events) and never have an issue with tubes breaking themselves and blowing up fuel tanks
Is this guaranteed after a sent amount of time, like an hour?
Or is it totally random?
Because if it's the latter then i'd bump this up to Major - while not impossible to fully fix all the lights, it's a huge pain and not feasible if it's not on extended. I spent a round as a ghost drone and it took me a solid 30 mins to fix the main hallways and pressure points (bar,medbay,bridge). It was gruelling. I can only imagine how much of pain in the ass it would be for AI to be viewing things in the darkness.
This effectively adds a timer limit on rounds.
(04-12-2019, 02:42 PM)Sundance Wrote: Is this guaranteed after a sent amount of time, like an hour?
Or is it totally random?

(04-10-2019, 06:50 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: In fact, I saw this as an observer who joined before the round started.

It's random if I'm reading this right
Until this is fixed, a quick tip for light replacement.

You switch out lights if you click a broken light with a new one. Cuts time down by more than half.
According to Cogwerks, it's a feature, and according to ZeWaka, it's a bug. Seems like there's some miscommunication there? Nevertheless, this bug is making things very annoying, especially for the RP server with long rounds, resulting in lots of fuel tank explosions.
This has always been a thing, but I feel like it's been happening more frequently as of late, which makes it more noticeable. Dunno why.
(04-15-2019, 02:33 PM)Flourish Wrote: This has always been a thing, but I feel like it's been happening more frequently as of late, which makes it more noticeable. Dunno why.

But it hasn't? Like Sodly said earlier in the thread, even on the 5 hour long RP days of yore, lights would never burst (besides the occasional Ion Storm, but those never triggered because of such a low population). And with my experience on Goon #2, and the 2 hour long rounds on Goon #1 with high-population (before about a week ago), I had never once witnessed a light break on its own accord.

But regardless, I think that whether it be bug or feature, it ought to be removed or heavily, heavily toned down. Even by an hour into the round, I'd wager that at least 50% of the lights are broken. Where's the fun in that?
I agree that it needs to be removed/fixed -- lights generally don't pop on their own, and it removes the ability to intentionally do it either via flicking them on and off repeatedly or by silicon overloading them (or Wraith shenanigans).
Definitely feels like it's more frequent. During an earlier round on Cog2, a light bursting caused a fuel tank to explode in the Cold Loop within the first 10 minutes of the round. The lights were exploding so often that we thought someone was breaking them; the AI was asked to state laws in case it was the culprit.
(04-15-2019, 02:46 PM)InternetDweller Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 02:33 PM)Flourish Wrote: This has always been a thing, but I feel like it's been happening more frequently as of late, which makes it more noticeable. Dunno why.

But it hasn't? Like Sodly said earlier in the thread, even on the 5 hour long RP days of yore, lights would never burst (besides the occasional Ion Storm, but those never triggered because of such a low population). And with my experience on Goon #2, and the 2 hour long rounds on Goon #1 with high-population (before about a week ago), I had never once witnessed a light break on its own accord.

But regardless, I think that whether it be bug or feature, it ought to be removed or heavily, heavily toned down. Even by an hour into the round, I'd wager that at least 50% of the lights are broken. Where's the fun in that?

No it's definitely been a thing. Sometimes lights explode before the round even starts. Dunno why though.

I agreed that it should be toned down. I volunteer mbc or ZeWaka to look into it!
This is still a problem. I think an attempt was made to fix it, and I've noticed that lights broken by this have a distinct sprite now; however, by an hour in on an extended cog1 round, half the station had burnt out tubes and there had been four welding tank explosions. It's still obscenely excessive.