Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Come roast on this tentative design
I'm seeing improvement here, neat!
Some stylistic suggestions, if i may:

- use department-color coded edges for the hallways, or at least some sort of system to identify different wings. This is the main issue with having long, twisting and branching hallways - if i place you in a random corner of a random hall, can you immediately tell me where you are, without moving? If the answer is ever less than "yes", more theme coding is a good idea. (it also gives us more of an idea of where youre planning to put certain departments in later- a big yellow hallway is a clear indicator that this is gonna be engineerey or mechanical in some sense)

- reduce the amount of grey inside the departments, rooms and lobbies, to again help distinguish from the halls (lookin' at you, botany)

- theres a set of decals called Tile Edge that are incredibly useful for blending and edging rooms, check them out

- show us some screenshots from inside the game, it's a good idea for you to see what the product is. Trust me when I say things do not look the same as they do in DM.
(04-16-2019, 06:08 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: I'm seeing improvement here, neat!
Some stylistic suggestions, if i may:

- use department-color coded edges for the hallways, or at least some sort of system to identify different wings. This is the main issue with having long, twisting and branching hallways - if i place you in a random corner of a random hall, can you immediately tell me where you are, without moving? If the answer is ever less than "yes", more theme coding is a good idea. (it also gives us more of an idea of where youre planning to put certain departments in later- a big yellow hallway is a clear indicator that this is gonna be engineerey or mechanical in some sense)

- reduce the amount of grey inside the departments, rooms and lobbies, to again help distinguish from the halls (lookin' at you, botany)

- theres a set of decals called Tile Edge that are incredibly useful for blending and edging rooms, check them out

- show us some screenshots from inside the game, it's a good idea for you to see what the product is. Trust me when I say things do not look the same as they do in DM.

First point - that is a great idea. I already have an idea of what i wanna try.

Second point - absolutely. Most of my departments are just colored edges for the time being. I've been bitten in the ass too many times when i've started on some detailing then realized some aspect of the room needed work, so for now most things are just drab gray. 

Honestly i was just afraid to start compiling the map cuz i don't know what the hell i'm doing but i think you're right that looking at it ingame would help with quickly figuring out what works and what doesn't. So i'll put new room work on hold and try to cordon what i have into a test-able environment.

In order to test it i assume i'll need to place lights first though.
[Image: Untitled.png]

off the top of my head, uh

- more nip/tuck done. i think botany is slightly smaller now. janitor's north room got downsized at some point. law office is slightly smaller now i think as well.
- a bit more polish on rooms. botany still is on my shit list but it's improving. 
- added some lights and air monitors. i like how you can create some really eerie lighting if you just space em out more. maintenance is nice and creepy with reduced light.
- added dividers in the hallways and also retouched the hallway tile color scheme. i think to imrpve it even more, the center grey stripe could have the color of the room it leads to at the point of each branch. not every room has its own alcove though so idk.
- started medbay which is kind of a daunting task.
- not happy with security yet. still need to gut all the thindows out of it.
some minor changes to sec, mostly removing thindows and revising some of the rooms. i don't like it in its current state, it still seems too labyrinthine.

medbay first pass is complete. the colors kind of are a bit excessive maybe. might remove the room trim and just make it so the doors have trim.

[Image: 356C6Z8.png]

zoomed out shot

[Image: 3jG8qBB.png]

i decided to keep the shuttle in its current state. air bridges let you set whether they are on or off, so only the bridge connecting to the station starts on. kind of removes the issue of players unknowingly moving north to the empty section, though you can still adventure up there if you want if you engage the air bridge. there's a storage area for engineering up there that contains some powered off floorbot, firebot and some other junk.

i revised botany again and made it so the main entrance is on the south side. 

i need opinions on a few things

- are 4 tile wide hallways too spacious? i feel like 3 is too cramped and 4 is too much, there's just no winning.
- should i recolor medbay to be a bit less rainbow-y?
- how bad is security? should i just gut it and start over? is anything there salvageable?

i redid security because it was a mess. even after that i still think security needs another revision. still a bit clunky in its design, particularly in the southern region. it's slowly improving.

first pass on science is done. most of the major rooms are there. i wanna have some maintenance shafts around it.

also not sure about the bridge design. it's airgapped in the middle of the station so busting into the AI upload is not an easy task but a well placed pipebomb could cause problems for both medbay and the command room so maybe i need to revisit that.
You're gonna be a mapping god some day

chapel, qm, merchant dock, pool, owlery, mechanic, some spare engineering storage, civilian podbay

i need to go back and tidy up the other pod bays and make them a bit less cumbersome. science wing needs a second pass, some rooms are poorly positioned
I kind of don't like the relative scarcity of maintenance corridors. That makes it difficult to get across the station sneakily.
I know what you mean, the medbay/sec/R&D/command sections are basically self contained with no intersecting corridors.

The south end has a lot more maintenance access now as i'm working on it, i'd like to make the north side have a bit more maintenance corridors intersecting it as well.

on a scale from 1 to 10 how utterly stupid is this twin singularity engine

[Image: jkkrBFB.png]
whats the worst that could happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
well, here it is. all the rooms have been 'finished'

i need to go through and place lights now so i can do a visual inspection ingame

disposals, APCs, maintenance air supply stuff hasn't been done yet but i'd rather hammer out the problems with the layout before i commit to those, no sense in placing all that stuff then having to tear it up if i make a change to a room.

solar arrays need doing as well, but since i plan on them being attached to maintenance on the exterior it won't be hard to shoehorn them in
been a while since i updated,

[Image: 0shb2QY.png]

doing all the nitty gritty stuff. area markers, disposals, mail, backup air tanks, lighting, solar panels, networking and wiring in general are all done

need to finish

- tourbot beacons and stuff
- firelocks
- APCs

and then test all this crap and make sure it works.

the northeast thing with the wizard and syndicate spawns is part of the backstory for the map which is just a page or 2 of writing to give the map a bit of zazz factor, i'll post that when i actually release this as 1.0
Incredibly expansive, but I like the look it's taking on now. 
I'll try to take the time for a full nitpicky review when you're ready to show a full-resolution screenshot for your 1.0 
[Image: 71-VJl3EnvL._SL1000_.jpg]
I used cogmap as a reference for size, you can see 4 white tiles on the corners of this station that denote the rough boundary of cogmap. I expected i'd probably exceed the footprint a bit, i don't think it's too bad.

There's a few things i'm not happy about but it's a bit late for any major changes. I don't even know if i'd have the energy to make changes once it actually gets examined, i imagine there will be plenty of things that would need tweaking.

For now i'm just trying to tick all the boxes for a 1.0 release. I think the final things on my todo list are firelocks and access modifiers for the doors.
Lookin good nerd

Keep it up