Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Monkey Controlling Helmets (Antag Item)
i don't know why but i thought those monkey helmets from ape escape would be really neato to be a thing that exists in the game (or failing that, a knockoff item).

These kinda cute helmets are nasty things.  They can dramatically increase the intelligence of a monkey.

[Image: 0f34122db27fa505164adada1355f373.jpg]
Okay, maybe only a little bit of an increase, but they're still quite a pain if they should ever get loose with one of these on.  To help better control these monkeys, it would be a good idea to pay attention to the top of their helmet, as it's capable of picking up the monkeys thoughts, changing from Blue to Yellow to Red the more agitated they get.

[Image: full_882004955.jpg]
[Two monkeys wearing helmets.  Despite their activity, their helmets indicate they are relaxing.]

There is also a misleadingly named "Helmet" you can strap around your head.  The monkeys wearing helmets seem to respond positively to whoever wears this.  As such, it contains a radio frequency to all helmets being worn, though it is admit-tingly pretty useless for the user...you don't understand monkey speak, right?  As such, it can only be used to give orders to said monkeys to follow, though a clever user can give their monkeys other ways of communication.  It should also be noted that while this can be worn by anyone, the helmets only have a noticeable affect on monkeys.  Humans have shown no signs of alteration or increased intelligence of wearing them.

[Image: tumblr_pph90zeSqF1rpf6nso1_250.png]
[Picture of the strap "Helmet" in use.  Its design allows hair to grow through, as shown here.]

It has also been noted that monkeys already with noticeable intelligence only benefit further from this helmet.  Such monkeys have been shown even capable of human speech.  It is important to show caution when giving a helmet to such a monkey.

All right, enough with the flavor text, what's this shit do?

Exact Details:This helmet can be given to a monkey.  When placed on their head, the game picks a random ghost and asks for their permission to become a mind slave for the wearer of the Control Helmet (exact wording, details later).  They must acknowledge that cloning or borging after accepting this will be impossible, and that everything they know of their playthrough so far is game wise completely forgotten (think the becoming Santa thing).  Players will effectively then have their brain tied to said helmet.  The helmet only works on monkeys, though a human player can use it if they want.  It does nothing on Human NPCs.  If the monkey is already a player, they also gain a few benefits, including the ability to speak to humans, but will effectively be mindslaved to whoever wears the control helmet.

The wearer of the control helmet effectively has basic control over any monkey that has a helmet on.  All rules with mindslave apply, with the exception that the monkey can deny an order if they feel it will put them in grave danger.  This may or may not include attempting to save whoever wears the control helmet.  The helmet itself is extremely difficult to remove by anyone other than the wearer, and requires the wearer to be incapacitated or otherwise unable to stop someone from taking it off (handcuffing them, for example), so as to prevent someone hiding and snatching it while you're not paying attention.

Monkey Helmet:
Pros:
+Can bring players back into the game.
+No need to make a borg or separate someone from other people to implant.  Just slap the helmet on and you're good to go (Wanna do it fast?  Friendly intent the monkeys head with the helmet in hand!).
+If you're a living monkey receiving the helmet rather than a ghost being attached to the helmet, you gain extra benefits, like being able to speak. (Clarified)
+Can choose to use a new or previous player if the helmet was removed for the monkey being an annoying shit if placed back on a monkey by someone wearing a control helmet.
Cons:
-Impossible to clone or borg once you join as a ghost even if you die as the monkey (Monkey Players exempt).
-REALLY FUCKING OBVIOUS!
-Your helmet indicates your current intent (Blue=Help, Yellow=Disarm, Red=Grab or Attack)
-Easier to "kill" than the average monkey (Removal of the helmet removes you from the game, unless you were originally a living player).
-Require outside help to remove your helmet.
-As a monkey, people can order the AI to kill you, and it will have no qualms doing so on its own. (Added)
-Space travel can be difficult as the helmet takes up a vital slot for this. (Added)

Control Helmet:
Pros:
+Command a small squad of monkeys who will (mostly) do your bidding.
+It's basically a mask, so you can hide it under a hat.
+Easy, unique, and undetectable comm frequency for all of your monkeys.  Humans can't hear it, even with a helmet on.
+Are you already a monkey?  Do you speak monkey?  Congratulations!  You can understand your minions!
+Impossible to remove unless you're basically already down.
+If you're a monkey, you can speak perfect english...mutated traits not-withstanding.

Cons:
-REALLY FUCKING OBVIOUS if you're not hiding it under a space helmet or equally head concealing hat.
-Monkey loyalty goes to whoever wears this helmet.  DON'T LOSE IT!  (Don't take it off in front of your monkeys either.  Their loyalty will drop amazingly quick until you put it back on.)
-Monkeys still have free will to an extent.  Don't expect them to do something suicidal on your behalf.

I can only imagine this would be a nightmare to code but I figured I'd share it anyway.  Seems like a goony thing.
seems like a really interesting idea! how much TC are you thinking? Maybe one item set that has controller helmet and monkey helmet, then individual other monkey helmets can be bought? Also if multiple people traitors chose control helmet being able to identify which monkeys are yours would be great, maybe similar to rev with the blue and red Rs indicating leader and followers? But with M's?

This would be especially neat to see if the banana patch was implemented where bananas can act like meth for barrel monkeys or as healing for normal ones.

Also maybe it could work as a janky mindslave for already-player-controlled monkeys?
(04-05-2019, 04:54 AM)Recusor Wrote: seems like a really interesting idea! how much TC are you thinking? Maybe one item set that has controller helmet and monkey helmet, then individual other monkey helmets can be bought? Also if multiple people traitors chose control helmet being able to identify which monkeys are yours would be great, maybe similar to rev with the blue and red Rs indicating leader and followers? But with M's?

This would be especially neat to see if the banana patch was implemented where bananas can act like meth for barrel monkeys or as healing for normal ones.

Also maybe it could work as a janky mindslave for already-player-controlled monkeys?

(04-05-2019, 12:17 AM)Technature Wrote: It has also been noted that monkeys already with noticeable intelligence only benefit further from this helmet.  Such monkeys have been shown even capable of human speech.  It is important to show caution when giving a helmet to such a monkey.

Monkey Helmet:
Pros:

+If you're a living monkey receiving the helmet rather than a ghost being attached to the helmet, you gain extra benefits, like being able to speak.

TC Cost is pretty tricky, as you have what's basically easy to apply permanent mindslave implants usable only on the potentially most robust players in the game that can be murdered by the AI or cyborgs without law changes, easily removed, easily detected, and potentially even turned against you if things go bad enough.  It should at least take up enough that you can't order it twice I think, as well as a smaller package you can order once after to give a couple more helmets.
Because I loved Ape Escape I tried to sprite Spectors controller helmet. How do you think?

[Image: Ht4VTnr.png]

Im not sure how hair works but I hope that it can like have the hair show on the side top parts?

Also monkey helmet

[Image: aN2Pbwt.png]
This is amazing and I love it.

I figured the controller helmet would just count as a mask to help make it easier for hiding, as it is a pretty interesting "helmet" design.

Anywho, after thinking about it I think the traitor items should be:
Monkey Controlling Helmet crate: 1 Controller Helmet, 3 Monkey Helmets, 3 random colored Shorts cause fuck it. 7 TC.
Monkey Controlling Helmet supplement crate:3 Monkey Helmets, 3 random colored Shorts. 4 TC

I feel the helmets should grant antag status as well, since the helmets less control monkeys and more make them smarter and able to do more complicated things for causing mischief. It basically means that, unlike the mind slave implants, monkeys are more free to do what they want if they're not specifically told to do something or can take detours (while mind slaved have to focus exclusively on their chosen task). This makes them less reliable than said mind slave.

The helmet increases their intelligence, not their attention span.
This should probably be priced to be mutually exclusive with the monkey barrel.
(04-08-2019, 05:45 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: This should probably be priced to be mutually exclusive with the monkey barrel.

I very much so agree with this. The monkey barrel monkeys are already extremely aggressive and robust, and additional robust-ness would be far too devastating.

As it has not been mentioned yet, this item would probably be best in the hands of those only with access to large quantities of monkeys. And staff assistants. So, geneticists, maybe the chef, assistants, and definitely test subjects, for the latter desires to exact its vengeance.

Oh and, perhaps ghosts can control the monkey? The ghosts would be explicitly told before entering the monkey that they must follow certain rules (e.g don't harm yourself, generally follow your master's orders, etc.)
(04-09-2019, 03:46 AM)aft2001 Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 05:45 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: This should probably be priced to be mutually exclusive with the monkey barrel.

I very much so agree with this. The monkey barrel monkeys are already extremely aggressive and robust, and additional robust-ness would be far too devastating.

As it has not been mentioned yet, this item would probably be best in the hands of those only with access to large quantities of monkeys. And staff assistants. So, geneticists, maybe the chef, assistants, and definitely test subjects, for the latter desires to exact its vengeance.

Oh and, perhaps ghosts can control the monkey? The ghosts would be explicitly told before entering the monkey that they must follow certain rules (e.g don't harm yourself, generally follow your master's orders, etc.)

(04-05-2019, 12:17 AM)Technature Wrote: Exact Details:This helmet can be given to a monkey.  When placed on their head, the game picks a random ghost and asks for their permission to become a mind slave for the wearer of the Control Helmet (exact wording, details later).  They must acknowledge that cloning or borging after accepting this will be impossible, and that everything they know of their playthrough so far is game wise completely forgotten (think the becoming Santa thing). 

Ya'll don't like readin?

I do agree with the jobs, except maybe the staff assistants (it feels like they have plenty of exclusives honestly) and prooooobably the chef.

Definitely the monkey though.  Only makes sense considering the inspiration has a monkey for the main villain.  Specter 2.0 baby.
(04-09-2019, 09:11 PM)Technature Wrote: Ya'll don't like readin?

i dont read
This raises many questions.
The answers to all of them are likely yes
I would absolutely love having the Peak Point Helmets in game.

However I think we need a simpler approach to what their function would be.

My suggestion for a simpler approach would be to have the Monkey Barrel monkeys wear the Peak Point Helmets by default instead of the bandanas they wear now
and make the Specters helmet a separate syndi item purchase.
As for how Specters helmet would function with the normal Peak Point helmets i would suggest that any monkey wearing it would be aggressive towards anyone like the barrel monkeys are now but not towards a person wearing the Specters helmet and if a player monkey is wearing a Peak Point helmet they become a slave to the Specter helmet player as long as they have the helmet on and won't be able to remove it by themselves.

I can imagine a geneticist with the Specter Helmet on stuffing people by force into the genetek and turning them into monkeys and then forcing them to wear the helmet they looted off a barrel monkey.