Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Enhancing nerdery in Afterlife Bar
It has come to my attention that Afterlife Bar has no terminals - I would very much appreciate a DWAINE terminal in Afterlife Bar so I can do something useful while dead. Cheers!
The whole point of the afterlife bar is that you can't actually do anything useful that impacts the round. You're dead! You don't get to help!
I'm not suggesting a terminal networked with main station grid - talking about one exclusively for the afterlife bar so you can mess with whatever you want in DWAINE - be it writing scripts, making documentation, whatever - and it will be a lot more interesting than just spectating random people smile
I do not know what a DWAINE is other than that it's really fuckin nerdy, please add this to the afterlife bar asap
As far as I'm aware the only things you'd have to watch out for are teleport components and wifi components, as well as wireless computing stuff, in terms of not letting things escape.
a DWAINE terminal could be doable if as long as theres no mainframe radio, but that also means you wouldnt be able to do really anything packet wise, especially without mechcomp, so dwaine scripts would be completely reduced to wired data manipulation which isnt really that useful, but its still doable lol

also stg machine in afterlife bar plez? :P
I always thought the whole point of nerdery is that you have to do it with the rest of the crew trying to stop you.
(04-05-2019, 10:25 AM)AwkwardDryad Wrote: dwaine scripts would be completely reduced to wired data manipulation which isnt really that useful, but its still doable lol
That is still a very challenging thing to learn during the average round, yet something people would do well to be at least vaguely aware of. So perfect for doing while you have nothing live for.

Some things that you can learn in the 'After-life PolyTechnic':
  • How to navigate and operate in a command prompt interface.
  • Using a printer.
  • Using a scanner.
  • Using 'peripherals'
  • Using MedTrack, the Medical Records program to see if that person you are about to clone is a puritan.
  • Using SecMate, the Criminal Records program to sic securitrons on unsuspecting monkeys.
  • Using COMMaster to call a dummy shuttle.
  • Spoofing calls to a dummy shuttle.
  • Artifact research stations, with random normal stuff placed in the machines.
  • Controlling guardbuddies.
(04-10-2019, 09:24 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 10:25 AM)AwkwardDryad Wrote: dwaine scripts would be completely reduced to wired data manipulation which isnt really that useful, but its still doable lol
That is still a very challenging thing to learn during the average round, yet something people would do well to be at least vaguely aware of. So perfect for doing while you have nothing live for.

Some things that you can learn in the 'After-life PolyTechnic':
  • How to navigate and operate in a command prompt interface.
  • Using a printer.
  • Using a scanner.
  • Using 'peripherals'
  • Using MedTrack, the Medical Records program to see if that person you are about to clone is a puritan.
  • Using SecMate, the Criminal Records program to sic securitrons on unsuspecting monkeys.
  • Using COMMaster to call a dummy shuttle.
  • Spoofing calls to a dummy shuttle.
  • Artifact research stations, with random normal stuff placed in the machines.
  • Controlling guardbuddies.

Using the afterlife as a training and testing ground is actually a really good idea. No stressing dying and losing progress.
I wonder if it would make sense at some point to just have one of the extra servers be respawn-enabled Extended or something -- don't know how well that idea would go over, but it'd give people a relatively safe place to experiment and work on things. Basically, what the super lowpop hours are, but official, in a way. Maybe like what Sandbox used to be.
I like what Zammy says, please do that in some way. Bonus points if the budget gets refilled every 30 minutes.
(04-10-2019, 07:58 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: I wonder if it would make sense at some point to just have one of the extra servers be respawn-enabled Extended or something -- don't know how well that idea would go over, but it'd give people a relatively safe place to experiment and work on things. Basically, what the super lowpop hours are, but official, in a way. Maybe like what Sandbox used to be.

I've been wishing we had something like this for ages. So many adventure zone runs got interrupted by antags or early shuttle calls.
Also being able to test stuff out that may kill you without having to wait 50 minutes for the next round to start.

Also on super lowpop, if the antags do decide to kill, it just takes like 3 to die for an autocall. So that one hasnt worked too well for me either.
I've been interested in a sort of endless infiniround, if only to see what would happen to a station after a day or so of constant use. Respawn waves every hour or so, fix what gets broken, replace what gets used up, that sort of thing.