Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
QOL changr - High Capacity Air (HCA) canisters
Hello! I have returned from the grave. 

This current suggestion is more of a mapping change than coding change.

1. Change all normal (white) air canisters to HCA canisters
Normal air canisters are functionally useless if their function is to re-pressure a room. It's akin to blowing up a balloon with a keyboard cleaner.

2. Give QM a gas extractor. Give the gas extractor the ability to produce HCA canisters.
You know that gas extractor that's in engineering that's barely touched because of the surplus of canisters? Give QM that, without any mats. QM will have to order mats (or Mining) to produce HCAs. Yes this also means they can make plasma canisters if Gragg or Mining is willing, but c'est la vie. 

3. Rejig "Atmospheric Supplies" to contain HCAs
Currently it contains an Atmos jumpsuit, scrubbers and gas tanks. This isn't very useful, there's plenty of air scrubbers and gas tanks on the station. Change it so that it contains x2 HCAs, x2 HVACs and an Atmos suit. And reduce the ridiculous 8000 credit pricetag, 5000-6000 would be more reasonable. 

These minor changes would allow players to actually combat depressurized rooms. It should still be a challenge, but not impossible as it is currently.
welcome back from the dead sundance, and some great ideas
This would be very good, do add please
Welcome back.
I like points 1 & 3, but point 2...
Since it's 'Enginering's job to repair and restore the station, and 'Mining's job to provide materials, placing the 'restore air'-materials in the QM makes little sense.
Yes, the QM can buy the materials, or redirect them from Mining surplus, but he has no role in station restoration other than his usual "I buy the stuff that people ask me to buy"-part. His only contribution would be to be the brains of directing resources, which is actually the responsibility of the engineers themselves, especially the CE. It's their job to use the Canisters to re-pressurize a room, to notice they have run out of HCAs, to pester the Miners for Molitz, to notice the miners are MIA, and then redirect their needs to the QM.
The QM usually has his hands full skimming the market and trying on novelty hats, he doesn't need the extra work of making Canisters, especially PLASMA canisters, which are made in the same machine! Those should not be part of the loot-haul for the scoundrel that breaks into the Quartermastery Office very round.
[Image: sZN4z9m.jpg]

@The Grim Sleeper:
I think your misinterpreting point 2. I'm not looking to give QM responsibilities for repairing the station.
Check out cog2 ^^^^
It has a robotics, medical and mining manufacturer. This doesn't mean QM will suddenly become a doctor, etc. It just means a wise QM can manufacture things at a fraction of the market price if they spend a marginal amount of time collecting materials. It gives QM means of production (Marx is rolling in his grave at the idea) so that they can sell it like the hawks they are. 
Regarding your point about plasma: the manufacturer starts out empty or with basic mats. This requires them to actually order expensive plasma stone (either by hoping Gragg sells or by flying out to the Martian Outpost) or rely on mining. You see where this is going - this is rather prohibitive if you're a traitor/shithead, it would be far quicker to break into research or engineering. Still, as a unintentional side effect, the advantages of the provision of a gas extractor far outweigh the cons.
QM usually has all the various fabricators, no reason they shouldn't have this too. Slap some money on the counter, get a can of air in exchange.

I'd suggest that instead of removing scrubbers / gas tanks / gas masks from the QM, the price of them should be greatly lowered, and then the high-cap air tanks should be their own crate. Being able to order more scrubbers is always a good thing since leaks can get extremely out of hand given the heat+ = pressure+ rule.
It would be nice if atmospherics piping was more widespread, rather than only being available to supply air to a few rooms.
(04-08-2019, 05:36 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: It would be nice if atmospherics piping was more widespread, rather than only being available to supply air to a few rooms.

Atmos piping (to re-pressure rooms) is a functional relic, because if you stop to think why it would be used (breaches), the fact that breaches delete the pipes and when you repair a breach you're left with supplying air to burst pipe - a dead complete end. It's far quicker to just open the HCAC and drag it around. The atmos supply canisters (the ones that are anchored) on Destiny (and some lying forlornly around Cogmaps) would be a much better approach but they too have caveats - you can't refill a HCAC to its maximum capacity due to pressure mechanics.

A topic for another thread as it's rather complex.
(04-02-2019, 12:35 AM)Sundance Wrote: Give QM a gas extractor.
(04-06-2019, 01:16 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: Misinterprets 'Give' as 'Move to'.
(04-02-2019, 12:35 AM)Sundance Wrote: You are misinterpreting that.
Uhm, indeed I did.
And while I still had concerns about plasma, you have fully refuted those.
5/5 Would live with quality again.