Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The availability of atropine should be changed a bit
Hmm yeah, you guys make some good points and I'm coming around. The missteping lasting too long goes without saying of course.

I still like how it does toxin damage to you when you are over a certain amount of health because it makes the drug more situational for stopping death and as use as an easy poison for doctors in need. But the present value for that is a little ridiculous. If you're above -25 health, you take 1 tox damage per tick. The problem with it leaving you in crit is that it is sort of an rng roll at death due to how shock and heart failure work.

I think that making the drug more effective as a life-saver and making it less able to put you into crit from tox damage might be the way to go. So here's what I'm proposing for how atropine should function:

- Retain its original dizziness, collapsing, sarin counting abilities, and heal all while under -25 health.
- Fix the misstep chance so that it only lasts 1 or 2 minutes after the drug is out of your system as opposed to the 5 or so minutes of how it works now.
- Only do Tox damage when health > 10 or 15.
- Heal 3-6 total brain damage per tick while health(which does not include brain damage) is under -25.

The brain damage heal will make it extremely useful for keeping people alive who are in crit. As any doctor will tell you, 9 times out of 10, it's the brain damage that kills the patient. Plus, this will make it the only other metabolizing chem aside from mannitol that actually can heal brain damage.
Big thumbs up to suggested changes in Kyle's post above. The chem would remain useful in being a viable way to disorient someone who's being a turd to medical, while not being theoretically lethal in itself. Adding some brain-damage healing to it will mean it's useful even in low crit, so will see more usage in dealing with crit in general, meaning it's viable to produce prior to realizing it's a nuke ops round so you may even have a small stockpile by the time the sarin starts rolling in.
I was wondering if maybe it shouldn't do tox damage, but another kind of dehabiltation like temporarily making your stamina at a lower cap. That way, it'll save your life but you'll be more helpless in a fight while under its affects. People can still weaponize it to weaken someone, and it won't kill you in and of itself
That's a good point there about the stamina frank. That seems like a logical thing to add to atropine. And currently, it does exist, but it only lowers max stamina by 5. Which doesn't have much effect.

Maybe increase that a bunch so that it will lower your max stamina by 40 or so. But I think that the tox damage at higher health should stay. Maybe causing damage at healths higher than 15 is too low a number. Or what could be done is to cap the amount of tox damage it could do. Like you'll take tox damage when health > 15 and total tox damage is < 50.
Atropine emergency autoinjectors are only 10u, and do ~50 tox damage. The disoriented movement is annoying, but really isn't that debilitating. Given that there are only four autoinjectors in the portananomed, I feel like this is okay.

I think a lot of you may be testing this while taking the Slow Metabolism trait, in which case the increased side effects are the responsibility of whichever player that picks that.