Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The availability of atropine should be changed a bit
Brick 
Currently one injection slowly sends you into crit, while also making it basically completely impossible for you to navigate to medbay. Incidentially, there's no way to stop someone from using an atropine autoinjector on you!

My suggestion: remove the autoinjectors and bottles from the medivendors entirely and make it craft only. That way it becomes what it's supposed to be, a specialty chem against sarin that you make when you need it, as opposed to something medics can grief people with. 

This stuff's nastier to get injected with than most syndicate poisons, because most of those don't screw up your movement!
You said that its primary use is against sarin, I disagree. It's primary use is more to keep a patient in crit from dying. It tries to cap losebreath at a low amount, heals a good deal of oxy damage when you have high oxy damage, and heals everything other than tox faster than omnizine if you are in more damage than shallow crit.

It does very minor tox damage if you're over -25 health. Like 1 tox damage per tick. it'll take you a few minutes to get pulled into crit from it. You can simply buy a charcoal pill from a medical vendomat if you don't want to go to medbay, those rarely run out. Taking Epinephrine once atropine puts you into crit or after it wears off and you're in crit is will also take you out of crit.

In regards to Medical Doctor grief using atropine, I can't say I've ever seen that happen. Doctors will use it as a weapon, but I rarely see non-traitor doctors stabbing people with atropine when they pass them in the hall.

I think atropine is fine the way it is right now. It's one of the few medical drugs that has nuance to it because it takes a little bit of know how to tell when you need it and when you don't. Though, I will say, it could cut down on the misstep chance after it wears off. You'll still be stumbling around a few minutes after it is out of your system which can be frustrating. Should stop at a minute or two tops.
Doctors have much more horrifying things they could potentially grief with. If they use this to do it, they're probably new or something.
If you cannot go to medbay for some reason, atropine is inevitablly lethal. Try it for yourself and don't go by what the wiki says.
I would be fine removing it from the autoinjectors and only having bottles of it around.
That seems like a good way to balance it. If doctors want to make it in a relative quickly applicable form, they can still make atropine pills out of the bottles.
I did a test on a 15u emergency-injector, since its considered harmful by the hypospray.
By the time it depleted, I had 105.15 toxins damage.
I did not time it but it must have been around 150 seconds since that is the depletion rate. 

So, while very slow, it is lethal in injector amounts. On how debilitating it is, while it hampers movement, you can still ask for help.

Its availability in auto injectors is really low so I don't think its really a problem considering it relies on the victim being completely helpless and unable to ask for help ( and at that point you could very well use quicker poisons).
In this instance I could not go to medbay or ask for help over the radio because showing my face in the open would have led to me being immediately yeeted into the crusher due to crimes against the clown

Also, I was an assistant so I had no access anyways.
(04-02-2019, 11:04 AM)Berrik Wrote: In this instance I could not go to medbay or ask for help over the radio because showing my face in the open would have led to me being immediately yeeted into the crusher due to crimes against the clown

Also, I was an assistant so I had no access anyways.

You don't need any access to buy a charcoal pill from a medical vendomat.
Couldn't get to one cause of screwed up movement. I was literally stuck running in circles in a maintenance corridor until I died.
I say shorten the effects after depletion (its super annoying to be staggering around for so long)

Also atropine has been generally useless at flushing people out of deep crit in my experience. It’s attempt to cap OXY is too weak, its better to shove someone in cryo/sleeper 99% of the time
Yeah my goto solution for people in crit is to stuff mannitol and salbumatol in their face, then fix their other problems.
(04-02-2019, 02:51 PM)Berrik Wrote: Yeah my goto solution for people in crit is to stuff mannitol and salbumatol in their face, then fix their other problems.

Mine was always a sip from a glass of perf and cryomix. But honestly, with crit, all you really need is to treat their oxy and brain damage and hope they dont flatline. No real need for atropine when there are much better and cheaper alternatives, aside from maybe sarin poisoning (but that's nothing a little salb, saline, and charcoal can't fix... eventually).

Now, if atropine actually did something more helpful, such as a much higher chance of fixing heartfuckery or negating random death rolls, that might make it fit better into its place as a deep-crit drug, as opposed to just being epi-but-better-sometimes.
It's specific thing is increasing sarin depletion rates hugely.
(04-03-2019, 02:45 PM)Berrik Wrote: It's specific thing is increasing sarin depletion rates hugely.

So you get hit with sarin, which is lethal, then you inject yourself with an auto injector that will do lethal toxin damage on its own and keep you from being able to reach charcoal... sounds like a great plan.
My suggestion- Reduce the Atropine in Atropine autos, and/or reduce its lethal and disorenting effects so its actually medically useful, the only time I see it being used is when doctors are dealing with a problem person and don't have a flash on hand.