Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Wall Fungus Cultivation
You know all that fungus you see growing on the walls?

What if it spread, with random chances to mutate into new varieties? And if you take samples, you can grow more of kinds you like. Some idea of different strain types

Green fungus - Can be consumed for healing
Black fungus - Occasionally releases toxic spores
Yellow Fungus - Provides low level light and power
Red Fungus - Boosts effects of other fungus
Blue fungus - Acts like charcoal in it's normal state, but can be infused with chems for cultivation
Pink fungus - Transmits audio to other pink fungus
Purple fungus - Drips sticky residue that temporarily slows you down
White Fungus - Bursts into flame if exposed to too much light

I feel like this could make maintenance tunnel navigation a bit more interesting creating more risk vs reward scenarios in tunnels, with new resources to harvest or obstacles to navigate around or use to your advantage
i really like this, mabye not so varies but fungus cultivation in general
This sounds pretty cool. My first thought was how is this going to interact with current systems? Right now fungus is just a reagent used to in pathology (maybe) and to make LSD. Should these all have a reagent analog to effect people for harvesting? Should standing next to a fungus tile deposit that reagent in a mob? Should fungus grow on maintenance floor tiles as well? Should it interact with the Botany seed/reagent computers?
Different mutations of the space fungus plant, perhaps?
I like the idea of fungus spreading across walls in the tunnels and then cultivating the fungus you like. It sounds like a whole new job in fact. Mycologist, someone who cultivates and harvests fungus. Let them also spread fungus to other walls as well to make a wider cultivation area. Sounds like a lot of fun
Yesss
In addition to the things mentioned, Im a fan of playing a dirty madman who wears a plunger and trashbag. Rambling about my precious spores and turning the station into a macrosized rainbow coloured petri dish sounds great. I would hope that if implemented I could choose to only cultivate non-harmful ones when not an Antag or potentially very harmful whens when I am.

Idea vomit:

Some could spawn plasma spores
Maybe a traitor item to spawn a special variety that could infect people with various effects? Slowly turn into a Last of Us style NPC mushroom zombie?
(03-26-2019, 12:35 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: This sounds pretty cool. My first thought was how is this going to interact with current systems? Right now fungus is just a reagent used to in pathology (maybe) and to make LSD. Should these all have a reagent analog to effect people for harvesting? Should standing next to a fungus tile deposit that reagent in a mob? Should fungus grow on maintenance floor tiles as well? Should it interact with the Botany seed/reagent computers?

I was figuring, one characteristic of fungus should be that it requires low lighting to thrive, to keep it unique from regular botany and contained in the maintenance tunnels. 

I was thinking that it acts like a chem when harvested, with the red varient reacting to boost effects. I was also thinking that maybe the original orange variety can be combined with others to allow you reapply them elsewhere. Like you scrape one strain with orange, and just splash it onto a wall to grow it there. 

For the ones that have more environmental effects, I figured it could either drop puddles or those mist clouds occasionally, especially when someone walks near them.
(03-26-2019, 07:31 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: .. or those mist clouds occasionally..

Ooo thats a great idea, maybe that could also be used to represent spores/spreading? Maybe my idea of it naturally spreading shouldnt be inherent in most variants though. Maybe a traitor item or dangerous/restricted chemical could be applied that would make it spread voraciously.
Any foods/chem containers in the spray radius would be contaminated
I mean, I've wanted crazy wall fungus for assistants to play with since 2014....
Yes to ghetto botany.
alternative proposal: fungus change type and spread when certain conditions are met and be transplanted somewhere else by scraping the fungus off with a knife
ideas:
wet fungus: spreads when immersed in fluid created by exposure to water, drains fluids
hazmat fungus: needs radiation, produces potassium iodine
meaty fungus: needs blood, produces meat
glowing fungus: needs darkness, produces light
leafy fungus: needs light, produces
crispy fungus: needs heat, sprays firefighting foam
hairy fungus: needs cold, produces hairgrownium
this is excellent