Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
time played restriction for sec
(03-28-2019, 03:15 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 10:22 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 10:21 AM)OMJ Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 09:43 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I do play Sec a lot, but I'm not completely sold on blocking the role. I think it might be helpful to have a diffculty indicator on the job role, with jobs like Sec being marked as for experienced players, and more new player friendly roles being marked for beginners. Sorta like the wiki, only in game.

Based on the behaviors I've seen I'm safely going to assume new players aren't "bad" at sec because it's hard. They're "bad" at sec because they're looking to ruin somebody's day.

They're going to ignore whatever soft recommendations we put forth because their principal interest is to power trip over actually playing SS13. A hard block forces them to play SS13 and feel out the server and realize that they shouldn't be assholes.

And if we lose some players who only wanted to be assholes? Good
My feelings exactly

But see, if they're picking roles to be an asshole, they're going to be an asshole regardless. Sec might have an easy set of tools for assholery, but so do a lot of other roles. They could just as easily be a scientist or engineer and release plasma in the halls, the Barman and unload the shotgun into someone, or a botanist and chainsaw. Lots of jobs have tools like this by design. Sec is just the least imaginative and laziest role to pick for that reason.

I'm more concerned about the people that are planning on sticking around longer, who aren't familiar with the controls or culture of the server being turned off right away by picking a role they're unfamiliar with

These people feel like they're protected by being security for them being shit. Giving people a taser and a baton is a lot more major over them figuring shit out as an engineer.

Everything what you just mentioned isn't happening. What is happening is security being poorly consistently. People know that if they release plasma, if they unload the barman's shotgun, etc etc that they'll be bwoinked. It's more of a gray area with security.
"I can't play the hardest, most frustrating and meta-intensive role in a game I've never played -- I'm never coming back!"

I understand how the Nays feel but I just don't see the drawback. I say this as someone who's gut-response is Nay. I mean, how many people here would recommend Sec to a new player? Anybody?

I say this days late and 2 cents short.
(03-28-2019, 03:15 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 10:22 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 10:21 AM)OMJ Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 09:43 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I do play Sec a lot, but I'm not completely sold on blocking the role. I think it might be helpful to have a diffculty indicator on the job role, with jobs like Sec being marked as for experienced players, and more new player friendly roles being marked for beginners. Sorta like the wiki, only in game.

Based on the behaviors I've seen I'm safely going to assume new players aren't "bad" at sec because it's hard. They're "bad" at sec because they're looking to ruin somebody's day.

They're going to ignore whatever soft recommendations we put forth because their principal interest is to power trip over actually playing SS13. A hard block forces them to play SS13 and feel out the server and realize that they shouldn't be assholes.

And if we lose some players who only wanted to be assholes? Good
My feelings exactly

They could just as easily be a scientist or engineer and release plasma in the halls, the Barman and unload the shotgun into someone, or a botanist and chainsaw. Lots of jobs have tools like this by design.

To be fair, the Barman's shotgun does little more than stun damage and the Normal chainsaw is...it's just bad.

Someone getting attacked will realize what's happening, start fighting back, and likely overwhelm the dumb bastard through sheer passerby's alone.
It's not that the various jobs and roles have the capacity to be shit, it's that Security screams "I get to be a cop and harass people, just like cops in real life". (Again, see the boxers, too.)

Security is also generally understood to be the one role on the station focused on keeping the peace, and letting people abuse that position by being shit makes the crew not trust Security, and by extension makes keeping the peace harder.