Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
time played restriction for sec
The HoS can already demote security officers.

Let them give shitlers increasingly embarrassing job names for being shit.
I've played sec a couple of times the last two weeks and it's been awful every single time. I've come very close to arresting fellow officers on a couple of occasions and I'm constantly witness to gross mismanagement of basic space justice, such as "How to not murder your suspects" and "Arresting the rampaging C-saber traitor". I've been saying it in the discord but I think sec needs a minimum four hour hard requirement, and honestly it should be more like ten.
I've played about three or four rounds since the tide started and I have to vehemently agree.
One round today featured three metagaming, griefing Sec players that all joined around the same time and went around beating people up.

Something needs to be done, even if it's just hiding it for new players.
this should be implemented as a temporary stopgap.
They aren’t ruining the rounds of regulars, they are ruining the experiences of new players pretty hard.

The biggest response is “let’s just deal with it ourselves”- right, people are still victimized hard. Why even let that shit happen?

There is a clear difference in the opinions of those who actively play security and those who do not.

edit: this time is a critical period for goon; we have to make sure we retain as many players as possible. I guarantee we’ve lost a few players to other servers because security was terrible, they disn’t realize security was terrible, didn’t know they could ahelp (or even not have gotten a response) and then fucked off forever. Implement this for like, two weeks and see the results.
I have changed my opinion.
I think that we shouldn't have sec pickable for new players at least for a bit now.
Once all the new players calm down we can change it back.
I agree with a 4 hour or more time requirement for security. I have seen quite a few sec officers who have yet to figure out how to pick stuff up, and I even saw a few long before the wave.

I have a theory that brand new players might find security tempting because it sound fun. Action, authority, heroes might be what goes through their heads when they see that Red coloured job in the pick a job screen.

But security is hard. There should definitely be a minor barrier to brand new players. 4 hours is nothing for people who want to play long term. That's like 2-3 rounds on RP1.
I do play Sec a lot, but I'm not completely sold on blocking the role. I think it might be helpful to have a diffculty indicator on the job role, with jobs like Sec being marked as for experienced players, and more new player friendly roles being marked for beginners. Sorta like the wiki, only in game.
The problem with that is that people aren't picking roles based on difficulty, they're picking roles on "what role would be best to fuck up someone's day with", which is why most of them seem to gravitate towards Security (and Boxers).
(03-28-2019, 09:43 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I do play Sec a lot, but I'm not completely sold on blocking the role. I think it might be helpful to have a diffculty indicator on the job role, with jobs like Sec being marked as for experienced players, and more new player friendly roles being marked for beginners. Sorta like the wiki, only in game.

Based on the behaviors I've seen I'm safely going to assume new players aren't "bad" at sec because it's hard. They're "bad" at sec because they're looking to ruin somebody's day.

They're going to ignore whatever soft recommendations we put forth because their principal interest is to power trip over actually playing SS13. A hard block forces them to play SS13 and feel out the server and realize that they shouldn't be assholes.

And if we lose some players who only wanted to be assholes? Good
(03-28-2019, 10:21 AM)OMJ Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 09:43 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I do play Sec a lot, but I'm not completely sold on blocking the role. I think it might be helpful to have a diffculty indicator on the job role, with jobs like Sec being marked as for experienced players, and more new player friendly roles being marked for beginners. Sorta like the wiki, only in game.

Based on the behaviors I've seen I'm safely going to assume new players aren't "bad" at sec because it's hard. They're "bad" at sec because they're looking to ruin somebody's day.

They're going to ignore whatever soft recommendations we put forth because their principal interest is to power trip over actually playing SS13. A hard block forces them to play SS13 and feel out the server and realize that they shouldn't be assholes.

My feelings exactly
After watching the thread more, I'm starting to side with the time block.

Security does have the ability to ruin someone's round, and that's something we desperately need to avoid right now. It's not at a point where they'll pick a random person to murder and in response get reported, job banned, and possibly server banned for being shit. Too many people are new players, and I can tell you from personal experience that first impressions can make or break something for people.

Even if it's temporary to the point that it only lasts til newer players aren't...well, new anymore, and know how to report unwanted behavior, I feel it'll definitely benefit right now.
last counterpoint: the next rebuttal will probably be that the HoS should just deal with it. what % of rounds do we see a HoS? is it even 35%?
Wait, we have an HoS? I thought that it was just a myth spread among staff assistants by the camp fire /s
(03-28-2019, 10:22 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 10:21 AM)OMJ Wrote:

My feelings exactly

But see, if they're picking roles to be an asshole, they're going to be an asshole regardless. Sec might have an easy set of tools for assholery, but so do a lot of other roles. They could just as easily be a scientist or engineer and release plasma in the halls, the Barman and unload the shotgun into someone, or a botanist and chainsaw. Lots of jobs have tools like this by design. Sec is just the least imaginative and laziest role to pick for that reason.

I'm more concerned about the people that are planning on sticking around longer, who aren't familiar with the controls or culture of the server being turned off right away by picking a role they're unfamiliar with