Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
time played restriction for sec
a lot of new players are playing goonstation which is great! a lot of them are also playing security immediately to be colossal shitstains. i’ve seen a lot of unnecessary violence and malice and i think we should restrict sec to being available to people who only have four hours of Goon played to familiarize themselves w the rules/mechanics.
Disagree with "elitist bullshit".

I think the idea is sound, but we'd rather deal with the bad eggs than limit player choice.
(03-25-2019, 11:47 AM)Wonkmin Wrote: elitist bullshit

no thanks

i’ve previously (and still) advocated removing the app for HoS and making it up for everybody which is pretty non elitist. as someone who’s been playing HoS a decent amount during this bump of pop there has been a LOAD of terrible behavior that could be curtailed by this.
this is a knee-jerk thread but of all things to criticize w/this elitist isn’t it.
i’ve seen new security beat people into red/crit for having a zip gun, pointing people out as antagonists when they had no traitor gear and simply didn’t know that a murder happened and flat out grief other new players. giving new people batons & guns & cuffs immediately when their behavior has consistently been like this isn’t the right move.

(03-25-2019, 11:51 AM)Spy_Guy Wrote: Disagree with "elitist bullshit".

I think the idea is sound, but we'd rather deal with the bad eggs than limit player choice.

sure, but why let new players who are still figuring out the mechanics + generally wanna power trip roll out into a round breaking role? there should be some sort of soft block against this, even temporarily. 4 hours is five rounds- what about two hours?

Other people who have been playing sec/HoS please chime in- I’m confident my opinion isn’t an unpopular one.
Nah. If someone's going to be a power-tripping fuck as Security they may as well get that out of the way immediately, instead of giving them the idea that they've earned the position which could lead to other complications.
[quote pid='132385' dateline='1553543234']
edit: this was harsh and a flippant response but honestly tying something behind hours played is a terrible idea because your time played means nothing against the experiences you've had. Might as well make it 10/20/50 just to make sure you can do it "properly", right?
[/quote]

i posted before I saw the edit: and 10/20/50 just sounds terrible. a two-four hour restriction just so someone can familiarize themselves w/basic rules & mechanics isn't a bad idea. this is not a "make security a position with prestige" it's a "minimize the tide of people with malicious intent". i didn't include head positions/captain in this thread for a reason.
If officers are being shit then people need to start Ahelping them more often. Thats how you fix it.
(03-25-2019, 12:03 PM)Kubius Wrote: Nah. If someone's going to be a power-tripping fuck as Security they may as well get that out of the way immediately, instead of giving them the idea that they've earned the position which could lead to other complications.

joining a server to power trip is an impulse thing- i don't think people would want to wait a couple rounds/hours to do this. that's where this comes into play.

it lowers the amount of people power tripping. what other complications? power trippers will power trip. this reduces the amount of people who immediately will. if they're still shit after the wait they'll be dealt with swiftly; there's just gonna be less to deal with
Here's an idea for both sides: Start with Sec deselected and display a big ass pop-up when you re-select it letting you know that power tripping and general police brutality will be dealt with swiftly and painfully, along with linking you to some pages on how to not be a dingus at security.
Give new players (for their first few rounds) "Trainee" suffixes to their jobs and allow everyone else to optionally pick them when (late?)joining as a way of saying "I'm new at this". Turn it from an elitism thing to a "this person is new and might need some coaching" tool. Want to learn a new job? Mark yourself as a trainee!

It'd be nice to have (optional) titles like "Experienced" or "Tutor" as well, maybe if the Job XP system ever gets finished, as a way of saying "I know a lot of shit about this job and you can ask me for help" -- strictly cosmetic, though.
^This needs it's own thread, as it is a very good idea that would coincidentally also solve this problem^
(03-25-2019, 12:37 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Here's an idea for both sides: Start with Sec deselected and display a big ass pop-up when you re-select it letting you know that power tripping and general police brutality will be dealt with swiftly and painfully, along with linking you to some pages on how to not be a dingus at security.

this seems alright. also yeah 4 hours is like 3-4 rounds, which is enough to potentially learn how to actually play and not be a shit, so i think that works well, but any more than that would be a lot
(03-25-2019, 12:37 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Here's an idea for both sides: Start with Sec deselected and display a big ass pop-up when you re-select it letting you know that power tripping and general police brutality will be dealt with swiftly and painfully, along with linking you to some pages on how to not be a dingus at security.

that's not going to stop or dissuade people, something hard needs to be set. a 3 round halt is nothing serious.
Someone who wants to sign up to be shit isn't going to be dissuaded by not being able to pick Security, they'll just have to have a slightly harder time getting the tools to be shit. Hell, right now the one I see most often is Boxer, and Staff Assistants just grab wirecutters / glass / whatever.
(03-25-2019, 03:30 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: Someone who wants to sign up to be shit isn't going to be dissuaded by not being able to pick Security, they'll just have to have a slightly harder time getting the tools to be shit. Hell, right now the one I see most often is Boxer, and Staff Assistants just grab wirecutters / glass / whatever.

Yeah...definitely not slightly. It's a lot harder getting stunning weapons + armor as an assistant. especially if you don't know how to hack doors. A regular assistant going out of their way to terrorize people will generally be neutralized after the second or third person they hassle; a shitty security officer can ruin the rounds/experiences of a lot more people without even coming close to being stopped. The only thing that can reliably stop bad officers is a HoS/very good officer and the ratio of those to people who wanna power trip isn't 1:1.
Id honestly just hand out some rewards to the people who had their round ruined and dish out an IP ban for the offender, you can't stop every jerk via hard mechanics.