Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fellow medical doctors/medical directors, whats your round start set-up routine like?
belt:
menders, defib, syringe, Iodide, large beaker of Synap/atropine, epi/manni/salbu mix hypo
pockets:
emergency o2, analyzer
backpack:
one medkit with niche & defensive med autos (2xfilgra, 2xmutadone, 2x calomel, 1x atropine)
NT syringer loaded with 2:1 Saline/iodide
docs bag with large beaker of epi/manni/salbu mix

if things are real fucked i'll load a second medkit with 2xepi/2xsalbu/2xmannitol/atropine for general handling of space victims

also a platform for me to scream from the rooftops - charcoal is a wasteful, slow way to stabilize a deep-crit toxin patient, use synaptizine/atropine/iodide and get them to the bar/cryo instead
(10-05-2020, 05:39 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: also a platform for me to scream from the rooftops - charcoal is a wasteful, slow way to stabilize a deep-crit toxin patient, use synaptizine/atropine/iodide and get them to the bar/cryo instead

Why do you choose iodide over charcoal? On the wiki charcoal cures better than iodide.
(10-05-2020, 07:00 PM)gleb09 Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 05:39 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: also a platform for me to scream from the rooftops - charcoal is a wasteful, slow way to stabilize a deep-crit toxin patient, use synaptizine/atropine/iodide and get them to the bar/cryo instead

Why do you choose iodide over charcoal? On the wiki charcoal cures better than iodide.

I assume because charcoal also pushes out the other healing meds as well and then it becomes a fight to heal the person while the charcoal is trying to push out everything. Atropine does the same but faster I think so might as well use that if someone is in toxin crit.
(10-05-2020, 07:00 PM)gleb09 Wrote: Why do you choose iodide over charcoal? On the wiki charcoal cures better than iodide.

exactly as kiki said, you gain +2 TOX heal/tick at the cost of having to repeatedly refill them with literally everything else. if you want to fix someone who is in deep crit from poison, they will most likely be rolling for death at some point, so you need three things:
1: something to prevent death long enough for tox to heal. synap/atropine will buy you a lot of time 
2: something to fix what could already be 100+ O2, which can stack fast based on RNG. Defibs aren't always fast enough to pull out of death rolls
3: something to cure the TOX - this will take a long time to heal, TOX chems are so weak you're easily expecting 30+ ticks to heal already. 

for every tick charcoal has to work, you waste, on average, 0.5 units of *every* medicine inside them. this means you need between 2.25x to 3.5x as many units of every other chemical. (based on their depletion rates being between 0.4~0.2)
then consider how long charcoal takes to pull someone's health up on top of that, and you will lose out on a lot of expensive deep-crit medication, all for an extra couple TOX/tick
The trick with deep-crit TOX, I've found, is to use everything. Potassium iodide, atropine, ephedrine*, cryo if possible, bilk if you can get your hands on it.

*better mid/deep-crit healer than epinephrine, simply by virtue of healing outside of epi's rather narrow range. Shame it's not hypospray white-listed. Would make more sense than meth at least.
(10-06-2020, 04:28 AM)TDHooligan Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 07:00 PM)gleb09 Wrote: Why do you choose iodide over charcoal? On the wiki charcoal cures better than iodide.

exactly as kiki said, you gain +2 TOX heal/tick at the cost of having to repeatedly refill them with literally everything else. if you want to fix someone who is in deep crit from poison, they will most likely be rolling for death at some point, so you need three things:
1: something to prevent death long enough for tox to heal. synap/atropine will buy you a lot of time 
2: something to fix what could already be 100+ O2, which can stack fast based on RNG. Defibs aren't always fast enough to pull out of death rolls
3: something to cure the TOX - this will take a long time to heal, TOX chems are so weak you're easily expecting 30+ ticks to heal already. 

for every tick charcoal has to work, you waste, on average, 0.5 units of *every* medicine inside them. this means you need between 2.25x to 3.5x as many units of every other chemical. (based on their depletion rates being between 0.4~0.2)
then consider how long charcoal takes to pull someone's health up on top of that, and you will lose out on a lot of expensive deep-crit medication, all for an extra couple TOX/tick

Usually enough chems to not worry about it, but if depletion got you down, on top of the potassium iodide have the barmen make you two or three glasses of triple citrus and mix those in with your iodide pills. You'll get a light chem healing bump on that to compensate.
(10-06-2020, 06:41 AM)vampirate Wrote: Usually enough chems to not worry about it, but if depletion got you down, on top of the potassium iodide have the barmen make you two or three glasses of triple citrus and mix those in with your iodide pills.  You'll get a light chem healing bump on that to compensate.

(not sure if you're implying that i'm using enough chems, or that the station has enough chems to justify purging waste, going with the latter)
atropine is comparatively limited for messy extended rounds (~6 bottles & ~3 injectors iirc) and is an expensive pain to craft, it is not common but is still very real that it becomes a 'worry about it' amount of waste, especially if any other doctors raid it and you're using purgers so having to use more than 1 needle to stabilize someone

additionally you only need 1 unit of tripcit in an entire iv bag to do the heal, or just 1 glass you refill with water as it runs close to empty, and if tripcit/chilled beer are on the table, you dont even need anything other than like 5 units each of synap/atropine to stop them dying
I tend to avoid Medbay, get a beakers worth of perf, epi and charcoal, hypos of the same, a med kit with an assortment of essentials like calomel, mannitol, automenders, mutadone and a bandage and then I just roam. If I'm on Cogmap1, I take over the booth by the bar and just idle around there.
How do you guys manage the chaos that medbay eventually decends into? Since I haven't really played most other roles apart from MD, why do people actually come into medbay? From what I read earlier on, Miners get into radiation trouble a lot, so it's probably a good idea to give them antirad early on.  I think putting some brute/burn patches/menders outside does a little bit as well but medbay always ends up messy/busy/chaotic until eventually there's a bomb just because of how busy it is.
Tox damage is best saved for last anyway, but pent is quite wonderful it.
On the other hand I feel like potassium iodide is so trivial to make in bulk, you could possibly just mix is with charcoals to get something fast at cleaning tox with just the chelation as a downside. Does it matter if the charcoal flushes the iodide when you can make beakers of the stuff in seconds?

As for the chaos, I don't have much aside from cleaning up litter when you have downtime. Organising cloning well is probably the most important part and you might just have to stick around until all corpses are dealt with if you get started. Also don't leave bodies lying around as a doc, reclaim or shelve them so they don't stink up the place. and confuse people making sense of what needs cloning. If need be, the chap's crematorium is a better place to dump stinky people than any of medbay is. :P
Also wrt leaving stuff out - I see a bunch of peeps do it and it's fine I think, but you may have to keep in mind the crew doesn't always share well.
I find medbay at its most fun when I have to balance my healing among people to save all their lives. That's when you can have all the medicine in the world, but it won't matter without good application
I have a pretty simple one.

Medical Belt:
2x Brute/Burn Automenders
1x Charcoal or Penetic Hypo
1x Epinephrine Hypo
1x Defib
1x Bandage (or a Hypo of Omnizine if I'm MD)

In my bag, I'll keep a Medkit with a syringe and less-common stuff like atropine, saline-glucose, potassium iodide, calomel, and as many patches as I can fit in the extra slots. Don't forget the compulsory gun and cuppa tea if playing MD.

In my box, I'll take refills of charcoal/penetic and epi, as well as some perf if I'm MD.

It's not very "meta" but I usually stay in medbay anyway, so I grab anything I don't need from the vendors. Feedback appreciated.
I don't roll doc that often, but when I do, I usually experiment with odd mixes, where the crew are my subjects. My mixes aint perfect, but by golly do they work. 

Deep Crit Cocktail
Synap + Atropine + Mannitol + Salb/Perf (ratios eh? huh? uhhh?)

Poison b gone
Pentetic Acid + Triple Citrus (normally "water" down the pentetic with triple so it goes further)

I'd often combine the above with Smelling Salts if the user is knocked out from neuro or otherwise. Or use calomel and the deep crit cocktail shortly after if there's an absolute ton of chems, followed by pure pentetic. 

Or a cold beer IV drip, although I haven't used this very often. I really should though.

Depressurized medz
Teperone (or Yobihodazine if I can get my hands on it) + Perf (or salb + epi) 

Sec Officer's delight
Synap + Meth (meth being watered down, inject an officer if a fight breaks loose in medbay). I'd use this normally outside of being a doctor.

Saline-Gluc is my go to chem for light damage as practically on tap on most maps and can be injected via Hypo aplenty. I'd also use Mannitol pretty extensively, and opt for synthflesh automenders if someone's dinged up pretty terribly. I avoid "Chill pills" as they've been nerfed and I also find them incredibly boring.

Some questions actually to the crowd: 

1. Would carrying a robo heart to do a quick transplant before using SR be of any benefit? I feel it theoretically it should be of great benefit, but I also feel it may backfire.

2. Anyone got any decent medical use outta Bilk? It seems like it could be used in a cocktail somehow, but seems rather too weak to be considered.

3. Anyone add beer to the Cryo chamber so it becomes Cold Beer? Heh. I feel that probably doesn't inflict INGEST so it's likely you're just making the patient swim in booze, but one does wonder.
(10-13-2020, 05:37 PM)Sundance Wrote: I don't roll doc that often, but when I do, I usually experiment with odd mixes, where the crew are my subjects. My mixes aint perfect, but by golly do they work. 

Deep Crit Cocktail
Synap + Atropine + Mannitol + Salb/Perf (ratios eh? huh? uhhh?) 

Poison b gone
Pentetic Acid + Triple Citrus (normally "water" down the pentetic with triple so it goes further)

I'd often combine the above with Smelling Salts if the user is knocked out from neuro or otherwise. Or use calomel and the deep crit cocktail shortly after if there's an absolute ton of chems, followed by pure pentetic. 

Or a cold beer IV drip, although I haven't used this very often. I really should though.

Depressurized medz
Teperone (or Yobihodazine if I can get my hands on it) + Perf (or salb + epi) 

Sec Officer's delight
Synap + Meth (meth being watered down, inject an officer if a fight breaks loose in medbay). I'd use this normally outside of being a doctor.

Saline-Gluc is my go to chem for light damage as practically on tap on most maps and can be injected via Hypo aplenty. I'd also use Mannitol pretty extensively, and opt for synthflesh automenders if someone's dinged up pretty terribly. I avoid "Chill pills" as they've been nerfed and I also find them incredibly boring.

Some questions actually to the crowd: 

1. Would carrying a robo heart to do a quick transplant before using SR be of any benefit? I feel it theoretically it should be of great benefit, but I also feel it may backfire.

2. Anyone got any decent medical use outta Bilk? It seems like it could be used in a cocktail somehow, but seems rather too weak to be considered.

3. Anyone add beer to the Cryo chamber so it becomes Cold Beer? Heh. I feel that probably doesn't inflict INGEST so it's likely you're just making the patient swim in booze, but one does wonder.

deep crit:
you want 2:1:2:1/2 if you REALLY want to dilute your synatropine mix, but i usually find that you can easily run out synap mix and the rest is easy to get from port-a-nano

poison b gone:
yeah, good idea with the dilute pentetic. you could just do triple cit + pentetic diluted with water too for ease of refill

1:
i mean... you give them a cyberheart, you cant defib cyberhearts if theyre in crit on revival and its not often people want that for fear of tasing etc. a lot of fuss

2:
bilk is incredibly useful if you're barman pulling folk out of shallow crit, and it depletes insanely slowly.

3 could be worth a quick investigation but im pretty sure it works like a hypo