HoS Application: Readster
Usual Character Name: Edison Lootin
BYOND Username: Readster
Recommended by (if applicable): Sundance
Times Available: Usually between 2-12pm GMT, sometimes earlier depending on the day.

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): What purpose does a HoS serve? Protecting the crew? Stopping the syndicates? No, a HoS is there to make security fun for everyone. A HoS is there to say 'Hey, instead of putting that traitor into the brig, why not take off his shoes and send him through my maze of glass?', because that is what a HoS is for.
People have come to fear the role of security. They fear judgement for doing a poor job, punishment for abusing their power, over-reacting to minor crimes. A HoS reassures them that they are doing a good job, tells them if what they are doing is wrong or right, helps them understand what is suitable. A HoS helps people to enjoy security, and to enjoy being arrested by security. I too want to be able to stand before a security force and tell them that they should not fear their job, but be proud of it, to celebrate their ability to interact directly with the antagonists and make their mission more difficult (but not impossible).
When I play security, I often hang out around the brig and talk to those who have been arrested. I make sure they haven't just been left to rot for 5 minutes because they were found with an emag. Far too frequently does this happen to Syndie Joe, whose only crime was possession of illegal goods. As HoS I would ensure that Joe was given a slap on the wrist and polite request to not break the law, because what fun is there in just arresting a traitor. And when it does come time to arrest them, why simply settle for locking them in the brig? Why not set them to community service, or cut off one of their arms as compensation? Because cruel and unusual punishment is much more fun to watch.
Put simply, the HoS is not the big boss of stopping antagonists, but rather the person who makes sure sec is fun for everyone involved. I want to be one of those people who make sure of this, I want to serve both the crew and the antagonists in making a round fun, and, most importantly, I want to wear that damn fancy beret. That thing is snazzy.

Security Experience (300 word minimum): I've spent a reasonable amount of time playing as sec. From my early days of rolling it at random and promptly getting myself beaten to death with my own baton, to the recent and more experienced days of patrolling the halls and promptly getting myself beaten to death with my own baton. I've spent a lot of time sat in the brig talking to prisoners and writing out customer feedback sheets for them to fill out, and I've spent even more time in the halls chasing down criminals or responding to reports of two assistants beating each other outside the bar. Every day is just a blur between the assistants breaking into and ransacking sec, and the syndicates blowing up everything including myself. I always try to make the arrests where needed but I never push it to far and in most cases just let them go because I have donuts to eat and assistant brawls to break up. Never abusing my power and rarely pissing people off, I play security responsibly and unrobustly.
Then there's my time as the detective, one of my favourite jobs on the station. I usually co-operate closely with security and the HoS, when available, ensuring that the forensic evidence is evaluated and that every arrest has conclusive basis instead of just circumstantial evidence. Not to mention the amount of time I've spent sat in the interrogation room, smoking a cigarette and giving the suspect mean looks across the table. Nothing compares to the fun of grilling a suspect before the HoS loses their shit and charges in with an E-sword to 'move things along faster'. And don't even get me started on how much I stand around in dark maintenance tunnels by myself just spying on people and lightly hinting over the radio that something might be up if I see something criminal.
I also occasionally play a sec HoP if security is ridiculously understaffed and needs me to, but that's only when they really need me to and I don't play it much differently than if I was just a security officer to begin with anyway.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc): The actual brig itself doesn't see much use and when it does it's never any fun. As much as I like the idea of the current setup, a better brig system would probably help a lot. Not having an easy place to put and return items to a prisoner is also a pain at times.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): The first one was great, the second was awesome, the third was meh and the fourth had it's moments.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): I have a day ban from a while ago for being an idiot and then explaining myself poorly.
Seems fine to me.
Yes.
Mr. Lootin, you're pretty cool guy. Yes.
A level-headed, calm guy, HoS material right there.
Of course he'd have to be if he was recommend by me. hehhehheh..
He's not a HoS yet?

Hell yes.
Sure. He's cool.

Sundance Wrote:A level-headed, calm guy, HoS material right there.
Of course he'd have to be if he was recommend by me. hehhehheh..

I thought that was grounds for rejection?
Seems have a good grasp on what his role would be as an hos, yes.
Last-minute yes before the twelve hours end.

I've seen him around lately and he's a good guy.
Conor12 Wrote:Last-minute yes before the twelve hours end.

I've seen him around lately and he's a good guy.

Yeah these time warp twelve hour things are hell on my brain
Yes.