Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Bodytemperature Damage
Exclamation 
Simply put, have bodytemperature being above/below certain thresholds cause burn damage to the mob in question.

Currently, burn damage happens if the mob is exposed to a gas, hotspot, or other temperature source directly, but merely having your bodytemp above/below a certain point doesn't trigger this.

As such, it's possible to have silly situations where your body temperature is 0 kelvin, or several hundred thousand degrees, yet you're not taking any damage from it. Just about anything you do of a high/low temperature incurs burn damage, except for directly adjusting bodytemp.

This would, of course, require a few changes to a number of chemicals; cryostylane would likely be overpowered if it was anything other than an extreme slow; likewise, being turned into a burnt husk merely because you ate a warm hamburger would be equally as frustrating.

Of course, it is rather funny to eat a 100,000 degree hamburger and it doesn't do jack to you, but everything else about temperature and reagents implies that it should.
Nooo. Don't change this. I like to walk around on the catwalks with no protection on and only internals. Its fun.
(03-09-2019, 03:53 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Nooo. Don't change this. I like to walk around on the catwalks with no protection on and only internals. Its fun.

Light yourself on fire before you go into space. The cold space will cancel out the hot fire, and your body temperature will be a comfy medium
The way people change temperatures is currently so fucking weird that I wouldn't really enjoy any kind of additional interactions with them. For instance, not going outside the station and operating under normal conditions, I find my spaceman's sitting temperature is usually well below freezing; if anyone hellburns in toxins or the engine for any length of time, even with the proper gear, they'll end up with a temperature in the millions. You'd have to rebalance mechanics around taking constant damage from just working in your own department.

(And while you might not take damage from a burger on its own, a food that has any reagents inside it will cause some burn damage if they're above 100C or near absolute zero. Not a ton, but enough that you might dip to orange if you keep trying to pound your Very Cold Beer.)
For clarification on this, what I'm suggesting isn't that bodytemp causes *additional* damage, I'm proposing that the interaction with fire, hot/cold gas, space, chemicals, and the likes, instead alter your body temperature, then the damage you're dealt is related to how high/low your body temperature is. Again, obviously, would require adjustment of a few things to prevent insanely low or high numbers.
(03-09-2019, 09:26 PM)Fox McCloud Wrote: For clarification on this, what I'm suggesting isn't that bodytemp causes *additional* damage, I'm proposing that the interaction with fire, hot/cold gas, space, chemicals, and the likes, instead alter your body temperature, then the damage you're dealt is related to how high/low your body temperature is. Again, obviously, would require adjustment of a few things to prevent insanely low or high numbers.

I think that the core idea here is sound. But for this to work well it would basically amount to a huge rewrite to body temperature.

You see, clothing with heat/cold resist properties doesn't actually lessen or hasten the rate at which your body temp changes. Well, I think it kind of does, but it's nearly inconsequential. Gameplay wise, you need to either have 100% resist or you might as well have nothing. That's because the temperatures you're exposed to are so insane that anything short of 100% effectiveness will only give you a few extra seconds of respite from the hot/cold.

Todd mentioned the same thing, you're commonly exposed to insane highs and lows, and that can't really just go away. So what you're proposing is a lot more involved than changing a couple values. Doing something like that could be a sort of stopgap solution.

I while ago I made a post on this topic, I can't find it after looking for a couple minutes, proposing a change to how body heat changes and how clothing resistances/genetic resistances might effect it. And I thought that the solution was more along the lines of making clothing protect you from temperature changes in a more logical way, but exaggerate the values to make it account for the extreme temperatures.
 So you would effectively have several properties regarding body temperature: Your core body temperature, an ideal body temperature, a safe temperature range, a specific heat for the body(this may already exist in some fashion to what I imagine), and something for keeping track of the temperature right on your tile(this might be redundant or just not useful). And clothing would have a value or two rating how insulative they are against cold/heat in addition to the flat percentages of fire/cold resist. I think fire resist should be a seperate thing from heat resist, but I'm not sure how exactly. So those insulative ratings would change how you your safe temperature range. It could open up options for things like personal heaters/coolers to let you stand in a hellburn where the safe temp range is too low to keep you from chaning your core temp while in that hellburn.

But I haven't really put much thought into the actual implementation of it so maybe the whole aproach is flawed.
"Our bodies are genetically engineered to resist extreme temperatures."

Makes sense. I don't really like sense though. I like how our bodies are cartoonishly damage resistant; it fits goonstation's 'chaos'. Besides, it'd make lots of jobs practically unplayable without 'fixing' atmos or introducing a lot of dirty hacks.
I always assumed the damage you take from space tiles is due to radiation. I can't really say why the freezer tiles hurt though. Maybe the freezer is at UNTOLD levels of cold
SS13 space is fucking freezing, which is how the cold loops work.

E: Also worth mentioning that you already take burning damage from inhaling too-hot atmospherics.