Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.86 Average
weldfueltank explosions need to be nerfed into the ground
this is stupid

[Image: ixTYTly.jpg]

a few seconds on top of a lit welder and you create a giant fiery explosion that is larger in area than a max strength TTV, oh also it penetrates walls
it also does next to zero damage to organics, barely damages the walls it ignores, and does negligible damage to floors.

very much against this, feels kneejerk
However it absolutely slaughters blobs, who have zero methods of counterplay since the explosion just appears on all the tiles around it instantly. So putting up fire resistant cells, for example, won't help them. Moreover due to the wall penetration they can be set up on the other side of a wall where the blob can't even get at them.
Yeah I fucking owned that blob with welding tanks. I hunger for blobs.

Anyway you gotta see is that round I also had an Egun AND allaccess during that. So anywhere you spawned I woulda blown your shit wide open. I think if anything blobs should be slightly stronger against fire. Also the problem was that the AI saw you right as you spawned so you were caught with your blob pants down. Later in that round when you spawned in the AI core I needed three full fuel tanks to kill you.
If you get passive fire resist and place a bunch of mitochondria around (two things you should be doing anyways) weldertanks basically stop being a problem. The solution is to build mitochondria, they're very good and will keep you alive through things like hellsmoke and welderbombs. This nerf is really kneejerky and not needed imo as welderbombs against blobs are funny because the crew often fucks themselves over and discouraging them in favor of less fun attacks would be bad.
The aspect of them passing through walls is kinda weird. Would be neat if it spread out from the source, with a certain amount of tiles it was trying to cover. Whenever it hit solid walls, it would try to find another direction to spread out in, and barring that, intensified for each tile it couldn't use
I wasn't the blob that round, I just happened to be spectating and caught the explosion when it happened. I'm the pile of gibs in front of the crusher :v
(03-08-2019, 03:48 PM)Flaborized Wrote: This nerf is really kneejerky and not needed imo as welderbombs against blobs are funny because the crew often fucks themselves over and discouraging them in favor of less fun attacks would be bad.

Hellchem smoke is just as fun because the smokers often catch other people in it in their rush to blast radium everywhere, leaving the station horribly irradiated and a bunch of people end up dying due to it.
Changing welder tank explosions wouldn't have stopped me either because I would have just opened the door and left the tank on the other side instead of where I put it
Yeah, as stated above, the whole point of welderbombs is that they ARE indiscriminate. Yeah you clear some blob, but the depth of the AOE is limited because it's centered on the tank, and it's gonna put a hole in the station regardless which is not what the crew should be doing.
Welderbombs are an issue if you're caught so early that you occupy a single room and not much else. Even if they do work, it's a hole in the station that people have to work around (especially nasty as engineers rarely do their jobs properly if at all), and it generally means either dealing with the second blob is potentially a bit more of a hassle or there's a room devoid of oxygen for the rest of the round.

There's no real way to balance it since nerfing it would just mean one less somewhat reliable thing to take a poorly placed blob down.
Blobs rounds generally leave the station uninhabitable anyway so might as well blow shit up
The reactions to this are a bit knee-jerk, as if you're caught in the inferno, you still have to stop, drop, and roll. It's not a very intense fire, but it's enough to leave a mark.
Is this just about their effectiveness against blobs, or how powerful they are in general?
Because the effectiveness of flamethrowers against it seem ok to me, plus blobs can make the fire resistant membranes to counter them.
The explosions going through walls with this large of a radius im not a fan of either, but maybe this could be atleast somewhat improved by reducing the amount of fuel in the tanks.

Every action on a welder costs you 1 unit of welding fuel, and the only application I can think of, which would need enough fuel to justify them containing 4000 units, would be refilling your flamethrowers. 10 times even. Do we really need 4000 units of that, in a mobile tank, about 10 times scattered throughout the station?

(03-08-2019, 12:09 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote: it also does next to zero damage to organics, barely damages the walls it ignores, and does negligible damage to floors.

very much against this, feels kneejerk

I am very sure that I have lost limbs to welderbombs, but I would have to test if that wasnt just a chain reaction from something.
(03-10-2019, 08:20 AM)The Gorog Wrote: Is this just about their effectiveness against blobs, or how powerful they are in general?
Because the effectiveness of flamethrowers against it seem ok to me, plus blobs can make the fire resistant membranes to counter them.
The explosions going through walls with this large of a radius im not a fan of either, but maybe this could be atleast somewhat improved by reducing the amount of fuel in the tanks.

Every action on a welder costs you 1 unit of welding fuel, and the only application I can think of, which would need enough fuel to justify them containing 4000 units, would be refilling your flamethrowers. 10 times even. Do we really need 4000 units of that, in a mobile tank, about 10 times scattered throughout the station?

Unless I made some mistake while reading the code, you need about 80 units to produce a max size fireball (7x7) and 800 to produce the max size explosion (4x4). So most of those units don't really affect the blast.