Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Killswitchable Robo-organs
From here

Allow robo-organs (ie robutts, eyes, hearts) to be killswitched similar to borgs/ai.
Personally I think the process should involve taking a robo-organ to the robotics control terminal and linking it somehow.
Of course killswitching them should give some indicator that it is happening.
"Your <robo-ogran> begins buzzing oddly." or more direct "You feel like your <robo-organ> is going to explode!"
Think of the possibilities.

Exploding hearts?
Exploding limbs?
EXPLODING ASSES?

This has to happen.
This is a stupid idea. No one would ever take robot parts ever again.
(03-04-2019, 01:42 PM)Berrik Wrote: This is a stupid idea. No one would ever take robot parts ever again.

Just like nobody uses lightswitches, light tubes, power cells, defibrilators, extinguishers, fruits, foods, drinks, the cloner, medibots, beepsky, just in case someone tampered with them before hand. 

I don`t think adding the ability to premeditatively introduce a backdoor kill into organs that already provide massive gameplay advantages is going to suddenly eliminate them from the meta. It takes as much work as rigging any of the above items to be deadly, and has to be done before surgery, so just manufacture a fresh one for yourself and watch it.
I am not suggesting that normal robo-organs have this capability.
In fact my initial idea was to have normal robo-organs and killswitchable robo-organs be two different objects. Ideally with distinct sprites, names, and descriptions.
I assume there's levels to kill switching these things, such as just turning them off, and hooking them up to explode.
(03-04-2019, 01:49 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:42 PM)Berrik Wrote: This is a stupid idea. No one would ever take robot parts ever again.

Just like nobody uses lightswitches, light tubes, power cells, defibrilators, extinguishers, fruits, foods, drinks, the cloner, medibots, beepsky, just in case someone tampered with them before hand. 

I don`t think adding the ability to premeditatively introduce a backdoor kill into organs that already provide massive gameplay advantages is going to suddenly eliminate them from the meta. It takes as much work as rigging any of the above items to be deadly, and has to be done before surgery, so just manufacture a fresh one for yourself and watch it.

none of these things are literally a part of your body that you cannot get rid of in a hurry/avoid except by not using them

also cyber parts already have a downside: EMP grenades/electric stuff messes them up
Oh, in that case I'd just suggest adding a remote controlled microbomb or two to the armory
I don't like killswitching as a concept in general, I think it's dumb, makes rogue borgs/Ais too easy to counter, and can be too easily abused by a bad/short-tempered captain. I don't see why adding killswitching to more things would improve those things.

also, if the killswitchable organs were clearly distinct from regular ones, why would anyone go 'yes, please shove this heart that can be remotely blown up by a complete stranger into me'
(03-04-2019, 04:27 PM)Roomba Wrote: I don't like killswitching as a concept in general, I think it's dumb, makes rogue borgs/Ais too easy to counter, and can be too easily abused by a bad/short-tempered captain. I don't see why adding killswitching to more things would improve those things.

also, if the killswitchable organs were clearly distinct from regular ones, why would anyone go 'yes, please shove this heart that can be remotely blown up by a complete stranger into me'

They wouldn't. Exactly my point. Like I said in my original post:

Quote:Imagine catching an antag, giving them robo-organs (heart, butt, eyes) then reluntantly recruit them as extra muscle for security.
(03-04-2019, 04:27 PM)Roomba Wrote: I don't like killswitching as a concept in general, I think it's dumb, makes rogue borgs/Ais too easy to counter, and can be too easily abused by a bad/short-tempered captain.

To be absolutely fair, from what I've seen people only use the killswitch if there is absolutely no other way to fix an AI or Cyborg related problem (as a non-antag at least).

Or if the AI is being absolute shit Server Rule wise and asking an admin to intervene simply won't get them to stop.
Better idea: no killswitches, instead screwdriver open a cyberbutt and attach a remote signaler

Then signal it to make that person fart whenever you want, like some sort of horrid, robotic brown note

edit: cyberbuttbots like this could also fart as opposed to just beeping "butt" occasionally