Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Medals and medal rewards!
Lightbulb 
Medals can be fun and cool, so let's make more of them fun and cool. In this thread, please:
  • Suggest removal or modifications for medals that are no longer obtainable
  • Suggest new medals (name, possible description) and the method(s) in which someone would obtain them 
  • Provide icons for said new medals
  • Suggest new medal rewards and which medals they'd be tied to
  • Provide icons for new medal rewards (if applicable)
  • Discuss ways medals and medal rewards and that whole system could be improved on
  • Discuss whether medals and whether how to obtain them should be kept secret like they are now (disregarding suggestions in this thread)
You can view all current medals here, and you can view your own medals by replacing the "Tanhony" in the following link with your own username.

Quote:https://secure.byond.com/members/Tanhony?tab=medals

The attached files are medal templates, which you can use. The only really necessary one, though, is the base template which just gives you the size and the shape medal icons should be.

Attached Files Image(s)

A medal that you get for playing a round as each Head (minus HoS)

The reward gives you a key to a special executive bathroom
Sweet little pills: be addicted to 5 different drugs
Knee-deep in the dead: be on the same tile as 10 dead bodies
Harmacy: have 20 different chemicals in your body
Codeword boombox: kill 5 people using your microbomb(s) in a single round
Most crew objectives have associated medals. "1.21 Jiggawatts" and "This object menaces with spikes of..." are both for a chief engineer objective and miner objective that don't exist anymore and are therefore unobtainable. Perhaps there could be a new objective to have the engine producing X amount of power at the end of the round or something like that. I don't think regular engineers have any crew objectives at all right now so that could be a good one to give them.

A new miner objective is harder. Maybe one for having radiation poisoning and escaping on the emergency shuttle, like that one scientist objective for being on fire and escaping on the escape shuttle? It doesn't really tie into the medal name but it certainly fits the miner role.
(02-24-2019, 08:04 AM)Flaborized Wrote: A new miner objective is harder. Maybe one for having radiation poisoning and escaping on the emergency shuttle, like that one scientist objective for being on fire and escaping on the escape shuttle? It doesn't really tie into the medal name but it certainly fits the miner role.

the medal name is from dwarf fortress i think, so maybe give the medal when accomplishing something dwarfy? (creating a cool alloy, building a wall out of a custom material, digging out a whole asteroid by hand)
(02-24-2019, 11:24 AM)Adhara In Space Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 08:04 AM)Flaborized Wrote: A new miner objective is harder. Maybe one for having radiation poisoning and escaping on the emergency shuttle, like that one scientist objective for being on fire and escaping on the escape shuttle? It doesn't really tie into the medal name but it certainly fits the miner role.

the medal name is from dwarf fortress i think, so maybe give the medal when accomplishing something dwarfy? (creating a cool alloy, building a wall out of a custom material, digging out a whole asteroid by hand)

It is indeed from Dwarf Fortress, and its a possible description of an artifact item. They are created by a dwarf that has a "strange mood", one of them is being possessed. Artifact items always get some special name too.

So my idea for this one would be something like creating a pickaxe out of a mined material and naming it, by putting a label on it.
If you would want to take it even further, you'd have to do it while wearing the obsidian crown (the possessed thing I mentioned).
The icon could be this then (outer border is still blue-ish from the base template):
[Image: higbh0g.png]

But regarding medals in general, a whole bunch of them are missing icons and/or descriptions, to give you a clue as to how to get them.
Also I would like to be able to see the conditions of medals I have already unlocked. Theres a bunch of which I have no clue on how I even got them.

Furthermore, I wouldnt mind medals not being secret, while not revealing deeper secrets of the game. 
Maybe a medal for making Anima called "Its alive!" and it just says "Obtained by creating the chemical Anima". No hint about how to actually obtain it.
That way people could try to go after them, learning new things while doing, rather than just randomly getting them for something they maybe did unknowingly.
Currently, as far as I know, the list of unobtainable medals is as follows:
Shit Fest
OW! MY BALLS!
:ten-bux: [but 'ten' being 10]
1.21 Jiggawatts
This object menaces with spikes of...

It'd probably be a good idea to put them in the first post, so people know which medals need to be reworked?

Also, just a suggestion for 1.21 Jiggawatts. Maybe it should be given to you if you're an Engineer or Chief Engineer, and you get the engine's power to 1.21 Gigawatts?
Since I think they're so integral to the goonstation experience, I feel there should be a medal or medals tied to 'admin rounds'.
(02-24-2019, 05:17 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Since I think they're so integral to the goonstation experience, I feel there should be a medal or medals tied to 'admin rounds'.
"please let this be a normal fieldtrip" - get crammed into the adminbus
(02-24-2019, 05:17 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Since I think they're so integral to the goonstation experience, I feel there should be a medal or medals tied to 'admin rounds'.

My personal problem with these would be, that I feel like I miss out on alot of the admins rounds, since those seem to happend past 10 in the evening for me.
Also Assday seems to often occur on a day where the next one is a working day. On weekends I might stay up till 2 in the morning, just to take part in some admin rounds.

Not like medals are an integral part of the game, but theres people that like to try collect those and obtain the rewards they come with.
"Where no man has gone before"

Visit every adventure zone

Some sort of medal for getting a certain amount of spacebux

"Bigger Fish"

Play a certain amount of hours
"Master of Locking"

Throw every item needed for a sol run into the crusher

Some sort of medal for achieving skate nirvana

"One giant leap"

Step in the footprint at the Lunar history museum
Master of the Arts - Survive 10 Crusher Pokes.
"Trippy"

Have every single drug in your system

"A hearty meal"

Eat someone's heart

Something for greentexting as a traitor without using any TC
"This object menaces with spikes of..." could just be tied to making something out of a custom material at the nano-fab.

"1.21 Jiggawatts" could be re-enabled and tied to having all the station APCs be 100% fully powered as a (Chief) Engineer crew objective again? Not sure why it was removed.

Anyway, a few suggestions. Some of these are really bad puns. Most of them are fairly simple to achieve/fun.

"Millennial": Have someone stick a participation ribbon onto you.
"One-Arm bandit": Lose an arm to the Hell slot machine.
"Damnbuster": Win your freedom from the Hell slot machine.
"Asshat": Wear someone else's butt as your own. (Distinct from "Shit for brains", which is an assistant objective)
"Priyom" ("приём"): Receive your coded broadcast on 148.7.
"Early Retirement": End a round with over 100,000 credits in your account or on you.
"The One Percent": End a round with over 1,000,000 credits in your account or on you.
"Midas? Touch": Use Midas Touch to turn something into flesh.
"Didn't Read the EULA": Get borged by touching an artifact.
"Upgrades Available": Get something replaced by one of those artifacts that rips out things and inserts new ones.
"All That Glitters": Get gold-gibbed.
"I Don't Give a Hoot": Get owl-gibbed.
"Unreal Engine": Visit VR as a ghost.
"Omniscient": Observe a round.
"Death of the Party": Visit the Afterlife Bar.
"Seeing Double": Have two of your character alive in the world. (Stable mutagen and blood, or brain-transplant cloning, for example.) Would need to be delayed for Changelings?
"Disc Jockey": Play some music via the radio station.
"Hot Potato": Get hit by a thrown, armed pipe bomb.
"Survival of the Fittest": Use the workout machines in the gym.
"Shut Up and Jam": Complete a Chaos Dunk.
"Burning With Passion": Be on fire with heat resistance.
"Got a Light, Bud?": Light a cigarette/joint off of someone's burning body.
"Lighten Up": Light a cigarette off of your own burning body.
"Junior High": Get swirlied.
"Thanks for the Ass-ist": Get a Cyberbutt attached to you.
"Free Parking": Unlock a pod that you spawned with the code for.
"Near-Death Experience": Have -150 or less health, and then be healed to 90+ (without any heart conditions).
"Give it Arrest": As Security, place a handcuffed person in the brig.
"Poor Life Choices": Be arrested, and in the brig.
"Half-Baked": Get ejected from the cloner halfway through a cloning cycle.
"Pawn": Get mindslaved. (Awarded at round-end.)
"Out On a Limb": Get turned into a hand/eye/leg thing by a Changeling.
"Grapes of Wraith": Possess some grapes as a Wraith. Total joke medal.
"Overtime": Be in a round for over 180 minutes. (RP1!)
"Out With a Bang": Die and trigger your microbomb implant(s).
"Deja VIIu": Step into the HEPT beam at Hemera-7.
"For Your Ohm Good": Get obliterated by an extremely powerful PTL beam.
"Bee Mine": Hork up a space bee larva.

Visiting Adventure Zones:
"Don't Forget Your Sunglasses": Visit the Solarium.
"Greenhouse Effect": Visit the Biodome.
"Ice Place, Innit?": Visit Outpost Theta.
"Invaders to Mars": Visit Mars Outpost 42.
"Meat and Greet": Visit Installation Eta (Meat Station).
"Apollo": Visit the Museum of Lunar History.
"The Floor is Lava": Visit the Lava Moon.
"We're All Mad Here": Visit the Ainley Staff Retreat Center.
"Cat Scratch Fever": Visit Catmandu.
"Avoidant": Visit the Void.
"Konnichiwa": Visit the Hidden Workshop.
"Fahrt Jokk": Visit Geminorum V.
"Asylum Escapee": Visit Centcom before the shuttle arrives.
The rewards for these should be a postcard from the location with a little picture, sort of like the one in the Solarium right now. It'd be cute.

Adventure Zone actions:
"One Small Step": Ruin the footprint at the Museum of Lunar History. Idiot. (Reward: MoLH shirt, moon b-ball skin)
"Twisty Little Passages": Fall into the ominous pit.
"Seven Days": View Channel 3 on the Ainley Staff Retreat Center camera system. (Reward: a ring)
"Freaky Friday": Get mind-swapped.
"Sol Survivor": Be the only person to escape alive at the end of a post-Solarium Disaster round.
"Safecracker": Enter the Vault.

I do not think that medals or their achievement methods should be secret. The methods of obtaining them, sure (e.g. list "Illuminated" as "Complete the Biodome Catacombs puzzle" rather than how to actually do that).

It just seems silly when a good majority of the medals are in the 2016 codebase and anybody can find them if they want. I've even compiled a spreadsheet of all of them, with some statistics, just for that reason.