Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] A couple small genetics effects/abilities and one big one.
So I made up just a bunch of boring, but less boring than accent, bioeffects. Some I think will be fun to use or at least for genetecists to have on hand besides the current good ones. I added what I think are a few actually decent harmful mutations, such they they will be bad for you, but strike a good middle ground between annoying and absolutely terrible (looking at you obesity).

- Nectar Perspiration - Sprite from Azungar. Regular old Earth bees are attracted to you. They'll sting you on occasion, and people that punch you.

- Electromagnetic Field - 1 Tile EMP bursts will appear around you within a small radius. And has a higher chance to hit the tile you're on with the EMP. 

- Physically Un/fit - Boring stamina regen/max buff/debuff.

- Tinnitus - You have tnnitus. Don't worry, the sound isn't going to be a real tinnitus sound. Just the phone ringing sound from Adrian Clarke's telephones.

- Anemia/Polycythemia - you'll lose/gain blood if your blood level is above/below 400 or 600. You'll need to bleed yourself or take some chems if you have one of these.

- Hemopoiesis Overdrive - Basically the above, but it's only good for you. Mostly... You get a great deal of blood as long as your blood volume is below the standard ideal value (500). It's 5 or 6 per tic right now. Pretty powerful ability, stability -15 or -20

- Vestigal Ballistics - Suggested by Slacker Magician in discord once, HUD button sprite by Flaborized. Use it and one of your limbs with fly off and hit something for considerable damage. Also, will make it easier for explosions to de-limb you and can make your ability trigger if not used in a long enough time.

- Apparate - Ever see Harry Potter? I made this a while ago mostly and had it sitting around. This ability is a good bit more involved than any of the others. But if added, it would probably end up being one of genetic's most powerful abilities. -35 stability.

Here are some sprites:

[Image: y1uH2u3.png] Vestigal Ballistics.

[Image: cWGH9pc.png] Apparate.

[Image: swarm.gif] Bees.

Video demo of some of them (it's pretty long and boring, shows the apparating and limb shooting early though): https://streamable.com/6kqc9

-------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

- I didn't include any combo recipies in my PR, I thought those might be more fun to keep secret. I made up like 3 or 4 combos for some powers. If someone decides to merge and wants those just pm me or something.

- All the sprites are in a file icons/effects/genetics2.dmi. So just move em back to where they should be. Either mob/genetics_powers.dmi or effects/genetics.dmi.

- I included a sound file in there for the apparating ability, but it wouldn't work, it's still in the PR, but w/e.

- I made a change to proc/do_teleport in teleport.dm for the apparating ability. Basically just a parameter for if you want to make sparks when you teleport. I'm not a fan of those sparks, always burning out lights, so now there's an option to not have sparks.

- The apparate ability also has a 10% change to make you lose a random limb or organ "splinching". This should be moved to be a stability loss problem, but that stuff isn't in 2016.

- Another merging note. If you ignore the two powers I made, teleporting and shooting limbs, all the other abilities are very simple adds. Just in harmful.dm and beneficial.dm. The only exception is the buzz mutation, whcih has a change in melee procs.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...6/pull/118
Haven't looked at the code yet, but the lesser powers do seem fun.

Vestigal(Vestigial?) Ballistics seems absolutely hysterical. And it will be a great application for the new synth-limb auto-staple buff.

Apparate... iirc, teleporter wand artifacts were nerfed because they were OP. On the other hand, 'synchronized Self Biomass Manipulation' is essentially the wizards 'Phase shift' ability. So what is balance really?

Anyway, can you post a compare differences link to your branch and the master-branch?

Edit: looked at some of the code. 'Apparate' looks like it works more like a the teleport spell, set a destionation on 1 cast, teleport to it with the second. Is that correct?
In that case, it has the same possible destinations as a handheld teleporter, which is an average grey-tide power. Very Balanced.
The part where you can grab another person to teleport with you... is AWESOME, but probably also OP?

But also: I don't know how many teleport-code there is, but it might be worth to collate and refactor some of it.
"Nectar Perspiration" only adds stuff to the player, it doesn't interacte with the actual bees on the station (like Heisenbee). That makes it slimmer, but I'd imagine that people would be disappointed they can't herd a flock of them. Perhaps replace every reference to 'bees' with 'hornets', so people know they can't try to milk their swarm o honey.
Here's that compare link on github:
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...-additions

I'm fairly sure that it is basically the same thing as the commits and files changed sections of the PR though.

I'll correct that spelling error for Vestigial Ballistics, good catch.

As far as the apparate power goes, it works how you describe, but after the second cast (where you actually teleport) it resets your destination to null and then goes on cooldown. This way you have to wait before setting your next destination so you'd have to wait there for the cooldown to finish before you reset the destination.

Also, you can only bring people with you in the teleport if the ability is empowered so that means -35 stability if you want to use it for murder. I forgot to mention that in my video or post. Perhaps I should set it so that you can't set a space tile as a destination or something?

About your comment on teleport code, the ability uses the do_teleport() proc in obj/machinery/teleport.dm. As does most everything afaik.

The hornets sounds like a good idea. I had thought about letting you lure regular space bees or making them want to protect you when I first made it, but I was going for "simple" on these abilities.
(02-22-2019, 01:22 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Here's that compare link on github:
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...-additions
Thank you, I hadn't noticed with the new layout that the original page now has a diff-tab.

On a more serious not: in the code/obj/item/mob_parts.dm, on line 66, the return-type off proc/remove is changed form <null> to the <limb> that is falling off.
That could cause problems, if BYOND was a bit of a strange coding language. Unfortunately, BYOND IS a bit of a strange coding language. On the bright side, if is also very forgiving. I don't think this change is going to break anything, but I haven't tried merging the code and testing it.
And I can't really suggest a good quick fix either.

Other than that, code looks good.
Yes, that was something that might be a little circumspect. I tested a bit with it and noticed no problems though.

I usually try not to make changes outside of what is necessary, but this was rather useful. See, I couldn't just set the var/obj/item/thrownlimb to one of the limbs and then call the remove proc like this:

thrown_limb = H.limbs.l_arm
H.limbs.l_arm.remove()

Inside each conditional. Because that remove proc both changes information on that limb before it is removed and removes itself from its holders limb variable.

Also, it's a rather common practice to do things like return a removed value or object when you have a function doing that. We don't really throw exceptions so much. And afaik, returning a reference to that object is basically the same in terms of performance as a primitive.

Edit: Wait that middle part isn't right, idk why I wrote that, it woulda worked just as well. I think I was just trying to reason why I did it that was and defend it, but I honestly just don't remember what my thought process was. Probably thought it was just cleaner and wished more procs in the codebase bothered with returning true/false and references related to successes/fails or something.