Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Weaken radiation, or change it somehow probably
This is me just spitballing really. I was thinking about some realism junk earlier about how radiation in any real amount is basically assured death within a minute or two in the game, but in real life that will basically never happen. Radiation kills you very slowly, and has more to do with destroying your immune system or causing cancer than anything else (I think).

I don't mean for this to be a "add more realism" post. It's just that I think radiation is rather tedious and shunted off to the side for only a certain number of things that are "instant kills". 

For one thing, If you're caught in a radstorm for more than 2 seconds, you're dead. Period. Unless you already had some Pentetic Acid in your hand, some omnizine and some Potassium Iodide, or an injector belt with SR. Same with most poisons. If you drink so radium and unstable mutagen it gives your rad damage too and a lot, but it fades quickly after you take some calomel and remove those reagents. The one thing that I think uses rad effectively is the rad crossbow.

I'm not super tied down to any of these, but I think these might make radiation a bit more interesting:

- Lower radiation damage flat out. Have the RAD amount to damage scale logarithmically and a very high cap for RAD amount.

- Make the radiation amount a person has in them last much longer. With the damage lower. That way being irradiated with a moderate timer turns from "I need to sprint to medbay RIGHT NOW!" to something along the lines of having food poisoning or a low tier harmful path symptom where you have time to get it checked out.

- Remove the Irradiated indicator from the standard HUD. Leave it for people with sec or health implants. Maybe only display it for regular people if they have a very high amount of RADs.

- Maybe add a couple different ways of dealing with radiation. Currently, there are really only 2. Pentanic Acid and Potassium Iodide, and you can't even use them at the same time really because Pentanic just flushes out all other chems super fast... Maybe a machine or procedure that can lower RAD damage.

It's just that I think RAD damage is so boring right now. It's either an instant kill, or a mild inconvenience and no middle ground for fun.
Actual damage from Rads should be lowered. Instead, maybe it should instead focus on adding mutations that are debilitating or deadly, or decreasing your overall genetic stability.

Radiation should turn you into a Fallout ghoul, and sometimes but rarely, Spiderman
I'm really not sure about the amount of actual toxin damage that you take but there doesn't seem to be a max cap. During one of my gimmicks, I forced a player to have radioactive mutation on them and they easily outhealed it with just basic anti-toxic medication. They just had a ton of it in their bloodstream. That being said, I think the amount of tox it does to you really varies on the source.

That being said, I think logarithmic scaling would be a good way to go about it. Not really sure if it'd be worth the effort since I think our radiation damage sources are rather limited. (One event, one super dangerous place, one material, a couple chemicals.)
It is true that the amount of radiation sources are only a few, but Ive got to agree with a need for reducing the damage.

Especially as a miner I very often came into contact with radioactive materials (Cerenkite, koshmarite and plasmastone are all radioactive).
I know that the industrial mining suit will protect you from this, but I have ran into about 5 times more radioactive ores than the Uqill you need to make that suit.

Another source I come accross occasionally is radioactive people from mutations, either from genetics or being irradiated themselves.
I have stopped trying to rescue these people when I find their bodies in the hallways.

Maybe radiation only seems that strong, because it stacks very fast when in range of it and toxins/radiation medication being a lot less common than the more accesible brute/burn healing from the first aid kits/patches.
Lower the damage at lower radiation levels but keep the possibility to get radiated enough to get as much damage as you can get now when fully exposed.
Ores like cerenkite apply radiation for each individual object that's radioactive each time you move over it, so it can stack up FAST. Awhile ago while I was playing as miner, I noticed that being exposed to radiation while wearing the industrial armor irradiated you but didn't actually hurt you, so I decided to stack up as many rads as I could. I eventually managed over ten hours on the radiation effect timer before I just took the suit off and died almost immediately.
Yeah, it would be nice if radiation was a ranged thing. The further away from the source, the weaker the rads
I think mining needs an easier way of handling radioactive things early on. Some tox/Rad meds, a low level space-safe rad suit, or some tongs to pick up the ore.
Because its safe once its in a satchel, which I believe is some easy drag and drop of the ore. But if you want to further use it, you NEED to pick it up to place it in the manufacturers. Unless theres a way which i dont know off.
(02-22-2019, 11:24 PM)The Gorog Wrote: I think mining needs an easier way of handling radioactive things early on. Some tox/Rad meds, a low level space-safe rad suit, or some tongs to pick up the ore.
Because its safe once its in a satchel, which I believe is some easy drag and drop of the ore. But if you want to further use it, you NEED to pick it up to place it in the manufacturers. Unless theres a way which i dont know off.

This is somewhat unrelated, but really is an excellent point so I have to emphasize it. I don't play miner that often, every week or so. And it's incredibly annoying that they have a regular first aid kit, but no tox kit. A tox it would be infinitely more useful. It's especially bad on Cog1 where you have to walk all the way to medbay to get some tox meds.

There is no use for a regular med kit unless you accidentally get caught in your own explosion.
As a mostly roach main... Rad damage doesnt do much to me (wich is the point)

But... let me add this...
This is a goofy space game and while rad damage has become more common due to the nuclear reactor going all crazy.

In the past this was a rare occurance that only miners get frequently, but anyone else doesn't unless someone makes a Radium bomb or a relic weapon.

So this topic is about changing rads and I mostly agree to it.. but...
I think rads need to be abit more whacky then as it is now.

Lowering damage is a good thing. I actually think dieing of "RAD DAMAGE" only happens if exposed for too long or hopping into a nuclear reactor.
What I think rad damage should do more is the following:

- I like the idea of food poisoning aka RADIATION POISONING in this case. 5/5 idea

- If the rad levels get higher.. you start taking organ damage. (We don't have enough organ damage ways)
Thus those who work a lot with rads may want to give your local robotcist a visit.

- Chance of getting random effects. Not mutations "yet' that happens on higher levels. But things like LSD hallucinations or developing Space Madness.
This is not on low levels this is on medium/high levels. These are very low chance though...

- At high levels have extreme mutation effects... maybe even some new ones genetics can't find out.
Lil bit of that Saturday morning / comic book style mutations. This is a "RARE" occurance.
Heck maybe even add a "Cosmic Radiation" event... where the outside of space is irridated insted of the inside just for funsies.

----

We may also need to get some more ways of combating rads as Kyle said.
But also some more goofy ways of preventing rads.

Can we add alluminum foil to the crew quarters and kitchen then?
If used on food it prevents ants from getting to it if it's on the floor.
But you can also fashion it into a coat and hat wich will "Somehow" protect you from the rads to a degree (and block off any pesky psychics too! NEAT!)
Can also reflect flashes if someone uses the flash on them? Thus creating an AOE flash? Eh dumb ideas.

Now even the average joe schmoe can be shielded to some degree to rads if the reactor goes crazy.
Note: It won't protect you as well as actual gear but it does raise rad resistance by a certain degree.
You still don't want to be caught in a rad storm with it... it will still kill you like it can kill roaches, but atleast it's effect has been diminished.
Lol those are bots bumping this years old thread

Edit: banned em
I could understand the damage cap being dropped. I got hit with some moderate rads a few shifts ago and only made it to the medbay lobby in time to be treated because I was seconds away from a teleporter. I'd say it should be worse than a malady like liver failure though.
Hooligan this is a 4 year old post♡
IT WAS A NECRO?! Kotdang I was half asleep a hour ago (I have sleeping problems)

...Didn't check the date.. *hides in a corner of shame*
(09-06-2023, 03:38 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: Hooligan this is a 4 year old post♡

i don't read (heck)