Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Loot UI 2.0
I have made a newfangled loot ui. (The window for interacting with somebody's inventory)

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...6/pull/116

EDIT: Removed the blue background, added to chui
EDIT 2: huds are shown under items for a given slot

Pros
- uses item icons
- tooltips on hover
- empty slots use player's preferred hud style
- slots are in the area you expect to see such items on a player (left hand is on the left side spider )
- a few extra triggers (such as pickup/drop (unless these were fixed in the latest already (in which case, please ignore this line)))
- ID, pockets, and belt are disabled if no uniform is equipped
- integrated into the chui subscribe system
- grid based layout for modularity

Cons
- no constant labels (might be slightly unclear to a new users)
- my awful ? icon for pockets
- my awful disabled icon when no uniform is equipped
- no hud icon for handcuffs

[Image: loot-v3.png]

[Image: loot-v3-2.png]
Looks pretty good, I've been waiting for someone to make this change. Lots of menus need to stop looking like shit and this is an excellent one to change considering it's one of the most used.

I've got a couple questions though, I only did a short look through what you wrote so I might just be misunderstanding somethings.

- Why did you need to make changes to chui/window.dm? This seems unnecessary and general bad practice at first glance.

- Why is the chui window attached to the client? I think it makes more sense for it to be attached to each mob if you want to do it the way I'm thinking you do. But that looks a bit like bloat storing that on all clients or mobs when all the window actually does is display the mob's inventory. It's like storing all that information twice. Thay could be good if there were some more features on it maybe.

- You change chuiclose in window.dm and null the lootui var in the client. That is counter to how chui closing windows works, where it just unsubscribes the client from that window, it doesn't actually destroy that object.

- I'm fairly sure that your updateLootUI proc is unnecessary. You're basically re-implementing one of the key features of chui, which is displaying the same page to all subscribed clients to that window. Might have to ask Somepotato to be sure.

- This is just a suggestion, you can display the images of the items in the inventory as a composite image with the item appearing on top of the HUD image using javascript instead of just replacing it. Might look a bit cleaner. Edit- also you can just make a composite image of those two images and byond and send it to the client with a browse call. But it's probably better to delegate that task to the client since they'd be getting the same images anyway and that's very very very slightly less work for the server.

- Your first con isn't really a con. The inventory menu never did that before so doing do would be a new feature. You might be able to do it with that chui proc, callJSFunction or whatever it's called.

- This last thing is just a personal thing, "Loot" seemed not very descriptive imo, I didn't know what this was about until I saw the screen . I think that it was called "character inventory" or something inventory before and I kinda like that better. But that's open for debate.

Good stuff on this, I don't mean to knitpick or offend or anything, just trying to be constructive.
Blue background icky
(02-16-2019, 07:07 PM)qwertyquerty Wrote: Blue background icky

Yeah, I'd just make that the same color as the border, and then replace the "Loot" text with who you're looting
(02-16-2019, 03:49 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: - I'm fairly sure that your updateLootUI proc is unnecessary. You're basically re-implementing one of the key features of chui, which is displaying the same page to all subscribed clients to that window. Might have to ask Somepotato to be sure.

How would a chui window trigger an update on external actions?
For example a player unequips their hat.
How does the window know to update the UI?
I think the menu could be made a bit smaller, and I think that the little outline around the inventory slots is a bit unnecessary.
(02-17-2019, 11:27 AM)InternetDweller Wrote: I think the menu could be made a bit smaller, and I think that the little outline around the inventory slots is a bit unnecessary.

The window is resizable, although it's not clear in the screenshot. It is normally smaller.
(02-17-2019, 10:50 AM)Tombi Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 03:49 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: - I'm fairly sure that your updateLootUI proc is unnecessary. You're basically re-implementing one of the key features of chui, which is displaying the same page to all subscribed clients to that window. Might have to ask Somepotato to be sure.

How would a chui window trigger an update on external actions?
For example a player unequips their hat.
How does the window know to update the UI?

It wouldn't. I meant the part of how it tries to keep the screen snyched for all people viewing the html page. You have a for loop of viewers of the mob in question. Chui has a list of clients that view the window and updates them all. With the chui subscribe/unsubscribe procs you can do what it looks like you're trying to do(updating the page for all users). It's just that that's handled for you with the chui stuff.

But also, I guess I'm not sure why those calls are added in the action_controllers and whatnot when they weren't there before too. Unless, is that supposed to be a new feature? Even so, you're remaking the entire html file on any update and sending the whole thing to the client, instead of just sending what information has been changed.
Make the blue text white

Also get rid of those white backgrounds behind the items, and just put the slot images
I love it!

Btw, I know it has nothing to do with this UI update, but is it just me or does the left-hand icon show the back of a right hand and the right-hand icon show the back of a left hand?
if there's no icon for handcuffs, how are they handled?

disabled icon is fine, could use better shading

question mark icon is atrocious and needs replacing though
(03-11-2019, 11:47 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: if there's no icon for handcuffs, how are they handled?

disabled icon is fine, could use better shading

question mark icon is atrocious and needs replacing though

If the mob is not cuffed there is no icon displayed.
If the mob is handcuffed it will display the handcuff's icon (but there is no underlying hud icon).