Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Port TG musical instruments here
Unlike the instruments we have where they just play one of a few preset ditties, tgstation's musical instruments let you actually compose and play (or paste in from another source) your own custom songs. This is far superior to what we have now.

The only reason I've heard not to do this is that at some point some admin said that people would just use them to play stupid meme songs.
This sort of thing has been suggested time and time again. It's a good idea, but someone would actually have to do it. Also, I think there's a sort of unwritten rule that goon doesn't straight up port things from other servers.
Then we should make our own of a similar nature!

Unless that's too hard, then we break the rule because music is cool
(02-02-2019, 07:22 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: This sort of thing has been suggested time and time again. It's a good idea, but someone would actually have to do it. Also, I think there's a sort of unwritten rule that goon doesn't straight up port things from other servers.

I've honestly never seen an actual coder say anything like this. Often, I hear this from regular users, many of whom were strangely anti-TGstation.

(02-02-2019, 08:14 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Then we should make our own of a similar nature!

Amen. Nothing wrong with that, especially if we improve upon it. I'm particularly thinking some of preset songs that include the ones we already have, so people have something to play while they're frantically bringing up a wiki page.
It's probably more a matter of getting a coder excited about the idea. It's hard to get excited about porting someone else's project. Also tends to feel a bit 'icky'. Not to mention the licensing issues.

I do like the idea of an MML-like input. I very much wish to spam meme-music in fart-major. I also want a hotdog, but I don't have Tom Cruise.
(02-02-2019, 07:22 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: This sort of thing has been suggested time and time again. It's a good idea, but someone would actually have to do it. Also, I think there's a sort of unwritten rule that goon doesn't straight up port things from other servers.

First I've heard of this rule. The people who hate tgstation for no reason can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned. They have a lot of cool stuff that we should have too in some form, and there's nothing wrong with porting/copying a good feature.
My understanding is that it is a licensing issue. Yes, on the whole SS13 licences are rather iffy but those branches specifically run under a license that says 'if you use it, your project must be public' as I understand it. Goon is closed source and as such couldn't make use of that code without going open - which doesn't seem to be entirely desired. If we wanted to up our music game one of our guys would have to codw it from scratch.

At least that's what I've heard.
yeah people don't wanna just steal stuff from other servers. even if someone codes it themself (which would be a bother), in cases like this it'll probably be the exact same as tg and still be stealing which no one wants
How about a keyboard you can record input patterns on?
cram the entire Mario Paint rom and emulator into the code
Well I would imagine that BYOND has support for MIDIs, so why not just make an item that interacts with that? While I have little technical knowledge about any of this, I do know that MIDIs are essentially music sheets for something to play using some pre-set sounds. As such, having an application to convert some text input into a MIDI file - provided you didn't fuck up the formatting when typing the notes - and have it played in-game might work.

The one issue I see with this method is the fact that I don't know if sounds can 'travel'. As in, whether or not a sound's volume depends on your distance from the source of the sound (the instrument), or where the sound started playing (where you used the instrument). If sound can't 'travel', then yeah, someone's gonna have to code an instrument that plays notes as individual sounds whose pitches are based on some string input. This also doesn't sound very difficult, though I'm no coder.
Another idea, make pianos have an onscreen UI where you can click keys. Would have to find another way to implement the rest of the instruments. Maybe just pianos for them all, but they play that note in the style of the instrument.
On a side note, Starbound has a mod with musical butts and musical bike horns. It is a travesty that this has yet to be added. Fix It.
hello i would like to clarify :

We don't like to use code or sprites directly from other codebases. hOWEVER, this doesn't mean we can't implement something just because another server did it first. good ideas are good ideas - don't directly rip any part of their project (make your own menu layouts etc) and we are fine.

i think programmable instruments is a fun idea. i am suggesting it for a community patch because i don't like making HTML/CSS interfaces.
The pink name man said a good thing big grin