Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Ideas for new MechComp components
Lightbulb 
There was a time where I would play as a Mechanic regularly and came up with a few new components, but never bothered posting them here. So here they are now!

The Counter:
A component that will simply add the value you send it through an input. The amount could also be negative or zero.
I tried doing something like this with the relays and arithmethic components, but they seem to have a delay and would sometimes skip a number, somehow. 

The Container:
It can hold a small amount of items (maybe depending on their size) and eject them, possibly in a specific direction, or atleast onto its own tile. It would either have options similar to the Selection Component (meaning a "cursor" with next, previous, random, eject selected) or you can send the slot number to eject throug an input.
I saw a post some not all too long ago, where someone suggested vending machines, which could be filled by players. But it seems like that idea didnt make it. So I thought of something that would atleast take some effort to make.

The liquid and gas detectors:
2 seperate components that would trigger when the tile they are on comes into contact with their respective stuff. Might also have an option to set the amount of liquid/pressure for it to trigger.
The gas detector could also be set to a type of gas (since there are only so many), where as the liquid detector would trigger on all types.
The liquid detector would be especially useful on Oshan.

The item scanner:
Similar to the handprint and paper scanner, you click it with an item and get some information about it. Something like its name, size and whatever else might be useful.
Make a door that only Gnome Chompski can open!

The ID scanner:
Using an ID on it will give you the persons name, job and access levels.
Could be used to make teleporters to the bridge, only usable with a head ID.

Pipe blockage:
Not sure if this is the right name for it, but its a pipe that you can open, close and toggle with input signals. Maybe also add an option for the amount of items to pass into before it toggles back open.
I noticed when doing some science on the loafer, that every loaf would be processed individually, even if multiple are sent into it at the same time, resulting in over 50 of them. To make them all into one loaf, I had to eject them all, collect them in one spot and flush them from the same flusher.

The end:
So what do you think? Could you see any of this being useful, or even better, actually being used for more than just one week or so? (*cough* chest implants, synthlimbs attachment, phones *cough*)
I've always wanted circuits to come to goon. The current MechComp components would be really tiny and could only be put on a PCB (apart from obviously large things like flusher). Then those PCB could be scanned a replicated. So you could create complex components and then bunch those together into more complex machines or hand out private walkie talkies to the crew or something.
When are we gonna get a not gate
(02-01-2019, 07:58 PM)qwertyquerty Wrote: When are we gonna get a not gate

we are not

Some banjo thing somebody bought for some great re
(02-01-2019, 06:48 PM)gleb09 Wrote: I've always wanted circuits to come to goon. The current MechComp components would be really tiny and could only be put on a PCB (apart from obviously large things like flusher). Then those PCB could be scanned a replicated. So you could create complex components and then bunch those together into more complex machines or hand out private walkie talkies to the crew or something.

Also a nice idea, but that would be a whole remake of mechanics, and it doesnt seem like it is used by that many to make it worth the effort.
I was just thinking about some things we can add to the current system.

I have yet to create or see a construction that actually uses the AND and OR components.
Wish i could see a few creations others have made. You dont really see anything but teleporter hubs/traps and flusher traps being built.
(02-02-2019, 04:52 AM)The Gorog Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 06:48 PM)gleb09 Wrote: I've always wanted circuits to come to goon. The current MechComp components would be really tiny and could only be put on a PCB (apart from obviously large things like flusher). Then those PCB could be scanned a replicated. So you could create complex components and then bunch those together into more complex machines or hand out private walkie talkies to the crew or something.

Also a nice idea, but that would be a whole remake of mechanics, and it doesnt seem like it is used by that many to make it worth the effort.
I was just thinking about some things we can add to the current system.

I have yet to create or see a construction that actually uses the AND and OR components.
Wish i could see a few creations others have made. You dont really see anything but teleporter hubs/traps and flusher traps being built.

I use AND and OR gates, I used them in a creation just a few days ago.
I want a sorter-sensor for things in pipes. Grab all things from [list of things] or [list of thing types] and push them to output 1, 2 or 3. It's okay if it's slow. I don't expect it because I seem to remember the idea being rejected before 'cuz PITA.