Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Dead man's switch" assembly
Had an idea for a type of assembly based on a slight modification to the existing proximity sensor/signaller assembly. I don't often so if this needs some cleanup or clarification, feedback would be appreciated.

The idea being to "reverse the polarity" of the prox. sensor to require the constant presence of a nearby body, else the signal is sent. Specifically, requiring the assembly to be held in hand once secured, with the signal being sent upon leaving the hand. This would mean the only way to safely disarm the device would be to hand it to someone else using the "give item" function, or to have the person holding it disassemble it.

I'm thinking that this could be built by pulsing the proximity sensor with a multi-tool to change its setting before attaching it to the unsecured signaller.
edit: Also realized that there would need to be some kind of lock on the signaller to prevent anyone who gets their hands on a legitimately dangerous one of these somehow from just changing the frequency to render it inoperable.

Applications range from allowing a clown to set off as many signal/horn assemblies as they can manage to build whenever they fall on their stupid face, to allowing high-tension hostage situations centred on explosive threats, bluffs and counter-bluffs (ie: Terrorist:"Stand back or I'll detonate the bomb that I definitely have hidden somewhere" HoS:"We already found the bomb and disarmed it" Terrorist: *throws dead man's switch at HoS* Station: *explodes*)

as I'm not a coder I'm not sure how feasible this would be to implement, I just wanted to share the idea and see if there was any interest, thanks for reading.
i really like this idea actually, could lead to some dumb situations. it'd be neater if you couldn't just disassemble it in hand, like you at least needed a tool (you might with the assemblies i honestly don't remember) so we have situations where a group has to gently pass a bomb around so they can disarm it.
I believe you need a wrench and/or possibly a screwdriver to take apart those sorts of assemblies
Sounds like a cool idea! I can already see the Clown slipping someone holding a beaker assembly bomb and blowing everyone up by that.
Yes please
Useful. Definitely would be nice to have something simpler than sniffing for a specific death packet.
I think a simple way to implement this would just be a feature on the proximity sensor to invert detection - basically just send a signal when the last person leaves its designated range
(02-01-2019, 12:19 PM)aft2001 Wrote: I think a simple way to implement this would just be a feature on the proximity sensor to invert detection - basically just send a signal when the last person leaves its designated range

Not quite the same as having to hold it in hand, but I wondered if having this as a 2nd new option would make any sense.
I just stumbled across this, so here it is https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=2046
Isnt this already doable via mechanics?
(02-22-2019, 02:45 PM)Firebarrage Wrote: Isnt this already doable via mechanics?

You may be able to use mechcomp to reverse the signal, and make it trigger when the proximity sensor doesnt detect anything in range.
But theres no way of detecting, if the assemly is still being held in your hand.