Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Job rewards suggestion post
So I think everyone likes the job rewards and experience that janitor has and that people would like more jobs to be included in the system. I've heard that the biggest issue with expanding it to other jobs is not knowing what should grant experience and what sorts of rewards should be given for specific jobs. 

In an effort to help things along, Frank Stein and I decided to draw up some lists of prospective job rewards and what sorts of actions should generate job experience. Below are some links to pair of google docs for job experience and job rewards respectively that we'd added some stuff to:

I think I've thought up all I can about it so now seems like a good time to open it up to more suggestions and critiques. We've sorta been operating under the idea that job rewards should not be direct buffs for quintessential parts of the job (with a few exceptions), but should add things that will remove maybe a bit of tedium or gives you items that can be used in fun ways. So there would be some new items suggested as well as some existing items just to allow someone get that item. 

Job Rewards:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VbKe...sp=sharing

Here are a few examples of job rewards in the docs:

- Medical Doctor: Upgraded Prodoc Health Glasses
- Botanist: Strange Seed
- QM: Appraisal tool - Use it on stuff to find it's going rate on the market
- Security Officer: Police Hologram - creates a flashing blue and red hologram of various signs or wanted posters

There are some jobs we didn't think of any good rewards for like mechanic, scientist, and Detective.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Job Experience: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FX84...sp=sharing

Perhaps more important than naming reward suggestions in terms of actually adding jobs to the job rewards system, we have a doc for actions a player might take in a certain job to give them experience. 

Examples:

- Medical Doctor: Heal a certain amount of damage on crewmembers with patches, spread a beneficial pathogen, give someone elective surgery (cyberheart, cybereyes).
- Botanist: Attach a synth limb to someone
- Genetecist: Create/Inject someone with a beneficial mutation, get max research (biotic dampeners)
- Security: Beat clowns.
- Clown: Get beat by security, Die.

Add any suggestions if you have any in the comments in that doc or here if you want please.
For Medical Doctor..

If the glasses will function akin to the upgraded health scanner in that it can detect diseases and the like, then it would be worthwhile.

However, a ranged patch gun that fires patches sticky side down would also be useful. Akin to the janitor's wave spray that cleans multiple tiles, it gives the medical doctor a way to apply ranged healing?

Or adding a PDA defib program and allowing the PDA to apply defibrillator effects, circumventing the need to carry one around when you have a PDA handy?
(01-29-2019, 07:23 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: - Security: Beat Harmbaton uncuffed clowns.

Robotics: Put heads on spikes; make new AIs; do anything the borgs won't do themselves three minutes into the round
Security: Give traitors swirlies; hit multiple people with a flashbang
Clown: Dodge taser shots; lube the floor
Personally, I'm not a fan of job experience giving too much of an advantage to players that consistently play the same role because it gets people stuck in that cycle of maxing one role and not really experiencing the others.

But...COSMETIC ITEMS big grin I love the thought of job experience earning players consistent job outfit variants that wouldn't really fit anywhere else, plus we could run a huge community spriting jam for them.
I think cosmetics and Quality of Life items, or items that can create a new playstyle (not necessarily enhance/make stronger) would be fantastic. If you play TF2, think of the weapon drops; the Kritzkrieg is no better than the Stock Medigun, but rather it's a sidegrade - it prioritizes damage output over damage resistance, whereas the stock is the other way around.

For example, a job reward which replaces a mop with a vacuum - it can't clean up spills and stuff, but it quickly picks up trash and litter!

Mechanics could get a MechKit - a special toolbox which can store some amount of MechComp components. Makes setting stuff up much easier!
Since I noticed Tourist was in the doc, here's some suggestions for them. It's all just a reference, so shoutouts to anyone who picks up on it.

- Platinum Member's Card: A fancy, shiny ID card with sliiightly more access than the tourist normally has, for quality of life. Additionally, they start with even more money.
- Expensive Camera: replacement for the default camera with a powerful flash bulb that has effects similar to an area flash when used on harm intent. Intended to help tourists be a bit less useless. Overusing it can burn it out (it's intended for self defense) but the camera can still be used regardless, and should look nice to boot.

Edit: in the interest of giving cosmetic alternatives:

- Platinum Member's Card: A fancy, shiny ID that has custom text about just how garish it is when flashed.
- Expensive Camera: Looks like a much fancier, modern camera to really capture that tourist aesthetic. Maybe let it be worn around the neck on the outerwear slot, can't really imagine how that could be any sort of functional benefit beyond looking proper touristy.
I like a lot of these ideas. but I don't think we should add job rewards to other jobs until we've fixed the problems with the janitor job rewards.

mainly, it's that the tsunsmi is an example of an awful reward: if I like janitor enough to earn the rewards, why would I want my reward to be "you no longer have to do your job"?

and just in general, I don't like the idea of job rewards giving older players a mechanical advantage over newer players; things like starting with weapons or extra access or a pda defib program or a patch gun are a no go for me. this isn't call of duty. personally, I don't even play janitor anymore because the other janitor always tsunamis away all the messes before I even get a chance to bust out my mop and bucket, and even if I wanted to try to compete with them for mess cleaning, making it a competition where the other side has an overwhelming advantage just ruins the whole feng shui of the janitor job.

the tsunsami and defib pda cart and that junk would be better suited as rewards on z5 and trench. the job rewards should be solely cosmetics and novelties, like buffer skins and the holographic signs

edit to add:
basically, I think that no job reward should offer anything more mechanically powerful than the existing medal rewards.
(10-22-2019, 07:55 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: [snip]

Agreed whole-heartedly
The only things in the document I think belong as rewards are the police holograms and the AI skins that Kurt suggested (which I do like a lot!)

Also, I have to say, a lot of this sounds like it would be really cool as just normal equipment, like the appraisal tool, or Aft's vacuum cleaner
Why do these cool Quality of Life things need to be gated behind a certain amount of time spent without a Life of Quality?
after discussing in discord, I actually don't think any items should be job rewards. job rewards should be cosmetic skins and outfits only; any item cool and fun enough to be a job reward should just be added as standard equipment available to the job or, if that's too powerful, made into a z5 reward.
Allow medical doctor to get the blue medical lab coat

Currently this is only obtainable by admins
idk i have bad opinions ok? i am dumb
that being said

i think that xp rewards should be mostly cosmetic
like holo signs is good
and what if a sec xp reward was redeemable shouty mutation?
and what if a captain xp reward was the really cool looking red centcomm captain gear?
just stuff like that i think
like, idk, i feel like maybe its a bit bluh if like, med docs get doctors bags for playing 50 doc rounds or whatever, right? idk, maybe im dumb but i feel like it devalues the mds bag, and encourages people to solo one job to get the ultima reward, and i feel like it could be better if it was something for like a z5 reward or a new locked loot crate reward. better to add variety to already existing systems

also its what i dont like about some stuff like first person shooter games. yes if someones better than you and they kill you its your fault, but a lot of the times straight up better weapons are locked behind playing 50 or 100 games so, which means that anyone with access to those regardless of skill is better than you? idk if that makes sense but it kinda unevens more of the playing field kinda, like... idk.

im rambling at this point and not making sense. i just know that id enjoy it a lot more if the rewards were cosmetic because it wouldnt give me a free mechanical advantage for nerding a job out hardcore, when i think the efficiency that comes with nerding out the job is part of the reward.

suggestions for rewards:

sec - redeemable sec clothes into police outfit
sec - redeemable shouty mutation
sec - redeemable any food into a donut (cop magic)
sec - redeemable wanted posters but theyre holo and they shout at passerby the reward for capture (maybe op/too cool for an xp reward)

captain - turn a bottle of booze into stinkeyes
captain - turn your stuff into the red centcomm variant
captain - performs the grog transformation on you (patch, beard, name)

detective - engraved zippo (set a desc for your zippo)
detective - engraved revolver (set a desc for your revolver)
detective - enable noir vision for yourself only (is this even possible? listing 4th if it isnt)
detective - skin for audio recorder thats the old radio ship sprite

mechanic - cool multitool skin (tech nerd)
mechanic - cool pda skin (tech nerd)
mechanic - an eng robuddy skin that has the name "mechfriend" (<3)

janitor - i made a purple janitor themed biosuit skin add that
janitor - i like the holo wet floor signs actually
janitor - allow you to name the buff-o-matic whatever u want
janitor - redeemable long yellow jani gloves (they have the same stats as like boxing gloves that might be problrmatic cos its like redeemable insuls)

doctor - redeemable doctor backpack skin (the white with a plus, works for satchels or backpacks)
doctor - recolour their standard medkit to any colour and name (no contents change)
doctor - some sort of happy bandaid stickers to give to good patients

scientist - dumb redeemable goggles that look like mad scientist goggles but do absolutely nothing
scientist - science pal robuddy skin named "research buddy" (<3)
scientist - labcoat but... its trench coat
scientist - albert einstein wig? (maybe not cool hides hair)

botanist - redeemable leather gloves skin
botanist - turn a seed into a strange seed (seems fun & harmless)
botanist - turns a cigarette into a joint (they smoke the big weed ha ha ha)

random bad thought: what if completing crew objectives added like a 1.1x multiplier to your xp for each one you got? could be fun but idk someone point out why my suggestion is bad and i suck
(10-22-2019, 09:22 AM)Sov Wrote: Allow medical doctor to get the blue medical lab coat

Currently this is only obtainable by admins

I've been rallying for this for a while. A matching pair of blue shoes would be nice, too, the red ones clash with the alternate jumpsuit a lot.
(10-22-2019, 09:39 AM)Adhara In Space Wrote: idk i have bad opinions ok? i am dumb
that being said

i think that xp rewards should be mostly cosmetic
like holo signs is good
and what if a sec xp reward was redeemable shouty mutation?
and what if a captain xp reward was the really cool looking red centcomm captain gear?
just stuff like that i think
like, idk, i feel like maybe its a bit bluh if like, med docs get doctors bags for playing 50 doc rounds or whatever, right? idk, maybe im dumb but i feel like it devalues the mds bag, and encourages people to solo one job to get the ultima reward, and i feel like it could be better if it was something for like a z5 reward or a new locked loot crate reward. better to add variety to already existing systems

also its what i dont like about some stuff like first person shooter games. yes if someones better than you and they kill you its your fault, but a lot of the times straight up better weapons are locked behind playing 50 or 100 games so, which means that anyone with access to those regardless of skill is better than you? idk if that makes sense but it kinda unevens more of the playing field kinda, like... idk.

im rambling at this point and not making sense. i just know that id enjoy it a lot more if the rewards were cosmetic because it wouldnt give me a free mechanical advantage for nerding a job out hardcore, when i think the efficiency that comes with nerding out the job is part of the reward.

suggestions for rewards:

sec - redeemable sec clothes into police outfit
sec - redeemable shouty mutation
sec - redeemable any food into a donut (cop magic)
sec - redeemable wanted posters but theyre holo and they shout at passerby the reward for capture (maybe op/too cool for an xp reward)

captain - turn a bottle of booze into stinkeyes
captain - turn your stuff into the red centcomm variant
captain - performs the grog transformation on you (patch, beard, name)

detective - engraved zippo (set a desc for your zippo)
detective - engraved revolver (set a desc for your revolver)
detective - enable noir vision for yourself only (is this even possible? listing 4th if it isnt)
detective - skin for audio recorder thats the old radio ship sprite

mechanic - cool multitool skin (tech nerd)
mechanic - cool pda skin (tech nerd)
mechanic - an eng robuddy skin that has the name "mechfriend" (<3)

janitor - i made a purple janitor themed biosuit skin add that
janitor - i like the holo wet floor signs actually
janitor - allow you to name the buff-o-matic whatever u want
janitor - redeemable long yellow jani gloves (they have the same stats as like boxing gloves that might be problrmatic cos its like redeemable insuls)

doctor - redeemable doctor backpack skin (the white with a plus, works for satchels or backpacks)
doctor - recolour their standard medkit to any colour and name (no contents change)
doctor - some sort of happy bandaid stickers to give to good patients

scientist - dumb redeemable goggles that look like mad scientist goggles but do absolutely nothing
scientist - science pal robuddy skin named "research buddy" (<3)
scientist - labcoat but... its trench coat
scientist - albert einstein wig? (maybe not cool hides hair)

botanist - redeemable leather gloves skin
botanist - turn a seed into a strange seed (seems fun & harmless)
botanist - turns a cigarette into a joint (they smoke the big weed ha ha ha)

random bad thought: what if completing crew objectives added like a 1.1x multiplier to your xp for each one you got? could be fun but idk someone point out why my suggestion is bad and i suck
Honestly? I like these ideas, plus I was going to be making satchels for Science and Engineering already, might as well add a few more ways to get em. And, I know other servers have B&W visions, so, it's *probably* possible here, but I am by far not a coder, do not take that as gospel. I like the engraving, that honestly is a good reward for niche jobs experience, because it allows you to be swag without mechanical benefits, but you get to make it personal to you.
condensing stuff from discord:

1) exp based titles/ranks for doctors/scientists/security

2) the secret to double frying and michelin stars for chef

3) more silly stuff in general, less QoL or mechanical stuff (although interesting interesting sidegrades like the old mop could still be cool)
Sound synthesiser for clowns, so they can spam annoying sounds and honk faster.