Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mapvote change feedback
Destiny #1

I wouldn't mind weighted maps, they sound cool!

Also a straight up revamp of doughnut would be nice
Make map voting happen at round end instead of roundstart. Please tell me if there's a good reason not to do this because I don't know what that might be.

I don't know that this would alleviate a lot of the same maps being picked, but personally I barely care at all about voting on the next map knowing it's 20-60 minutes away. Plenty of times I'm not sure if I'll even be in the mood to play in the next round after that time depending on what happens and then my vote was cast for someone who won't be playing that round. I'll usually know if I want to play the next round in the 3 minutes between round end and server restart.
(01-29-2019, 02:25 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: Make map voting happen at round end instead of roundstart. Please tell me if there's a good reason not to do this because I don't know what that might be.

I don't know that this would alleviate a lot of the same maps being picked, but personally I barely care at all about voting on the next map knowing it's 20-60 minutes away. Plenty of times I'm not sure if I'll even be in the mood to play in the next round after that time depending on what happens and then my vote was cast for someone who won't be playing that round. I'll usually know if I want to play the next round in the 3 minutes between round end and server restart.

I might be comepletely wrong here, but doesnt it compile the map that was voted for during the round? I know that theres another map loading/generating process at the start of the next round. Maybe thats why the vote is at the beginning.

But otherwise, I also think it would be better to vote at the end of a round, so that people who will actually play that next round, or joined the last one later, get to vote.
Yeah it's because the map vote triggers a compilation. This used to be a 3-5 minute task and I didn't want it holding up the end of a round for that long. Nowdays however it's a bit more feasible as Byond updates have resulted in a 1-2 minute compile time.
I'm for weighted votes, and altering map votes depending on population could be tried, but it shouldn't be too influent.
Against vote by majority, because if a lot of people set one map (say cog1) as their preference it could be reached pretty often ?

People wanting to play on unpopular maps shouldn't have it denied just because more than half of the players autoselect a single map every round. With weighted vote the majority already gets to play on their favorite map the majority of the time.
I would like it at the end of the round even if we had the 5 minute wait. Rounds are usually 45 minutes minimum, 5 minutes is NOT a long time to wait and chat between rounds and could be used for toilet breaks, food or other irl stuff.
Maybe put the vote in when the shuttle reaches the 2min mark and can't be recalled? About 3min should be enough for it to compile, right?

Oh wait, there still needs to be time for people to vote. Nvm.
This one was brought up before and decided against because some antags can end the round before the shuttle is called or prevent it from coming entirely.
Once the round has ended and everyone is back at the menu screen, then do the compile. Yes it will take a bit but again, after a round that lasts a whole hour everyone should probably get a breather break so they can A. Decide if they wanna play next round B. Set up any new characters n stuff and C. Go do IRL things between rounds. The vote should be up for say 2-5 minutes to chat, every vote brings the timer down by a % of the players present (If 10 players are present and 3 vote the timer is brought down by 30%). Or just run it for 2 minutes and start loading right after.
If the shuttle is called, launch mapvote at the 2min mark.
If no shuttle is called or it's not past the 2min mark and the round ends, launch mapvote now (Or delay by a few seconds).
No 2-5min wait most of the time that way.

Or better, let people mapvote for the entire round with no time limitation and have the compilation start at those moments.
There's no need for a time limit if it only compiles at the end of the round. That way you may not miss the vote if you go AFK for some time after dying yet don't want to set an automatic vote.
I like the open for most of the round bit, not gonna judge the shuttle call thing because I'm FAR too biased to be fair in any way.

That's not to say I don't like it, just that I like mine on a golem level of obsession