Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mapvote change feedback
So since the change it's pretty much always been on Cog1 and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.  How can we make it better?  I think it just should make it more LIKELY that the highly voted for map is chosen instead of it being guaranteed.  It would allow for other maps to happen even with the weirdly large bias towards Cog1 all day every day forever
yee
No thanks. Don't cheapen my vote for a chance at something ill suited (cog2 during lowpop) or just striaght up unfun (oshan).
This has been previously discussed and a variety of voting system changes were created. However, I think that there's another major issue which compounds the over-popularity of cog1:

There isn't a lot of maps to choose from. Cog1 seems to be popular due to it being a subjectively good map but also because the other maps are too big or too small, or have admittedly awkward layouts or are prone to certain issues (like flooding). While creating a new map is time consuming, it would be worthwhile to create maps similar to Cog1 in terms of having a roughly linear layout (the main hall doesn't branch or loop) with a healthy dose of maintenance shafts, useful equipment/items scattered around the station, and departments that are not too cramped but not a vast sea of nothingness.
In my opinion, a vote is a vote for a reason. It’s not the players’ fault or system’s fault for Cog1’s popularity. In fact its not even a fault. It’s just the way things are. It’s not an accident that Cog1 is the most popular, so if the most players want to play cog1, then why stop them?
weight it please.

51% vote for cog1 : 51% chance of selection.

as is, you've got a worst case where as few as 21% of players could have cog1 set as their preference, and it'll still end up running 24/7 under the right conditions.
(01-28-2019, 10:11 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: weight it please.

as is, you've got a worst case where as few as 21% of players could have cog1 set as their preference, and it'll still end up running 24/7 under the right conditions.

Oh! How about this compromise:

If there is a majority favor for a map, e.g. Cog1 75%
That map is selected.

If there is no majority, e.g. Cog1 40%, Oshan 30%, Cog2 20%, Destiny 10%
There is a random & weighted selection
(01-28-2019, 10:25 AM)Prichard Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 10:11 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: weight it please.

Oh! How about this compromise:

If there is a majority favor for a map, e.g. Cog1 75%
That map is selected.

If there is no majority, e.g. Cog1 40%, Oshan 30%, Cog2 20%, Destiny 10%
There is a random & weighted selection

Consider yourself officially GoodIdea™
I don't mind the weighted selection sans overwhelming majority bit, but I'd like some statistics on how many people actually vote.

I get the feeling that stuff like destiny only ever pops up because 2 people voted Destiny, 1 voted Oshan, and another 1 voted Cog1.
Why not just make auto votes worth half as much as normal votes
I'm slowly working on a comet map and there's a couple other projects other folks have going to fill in more of the low-medium pop needs.

I sorta regret designing cog2 for 40-50ish players. It's a dang city and our populati0on isn't high enough for it at this time.

Using the votes to weight a probability roll sounds good to me.
Cog2 is great. We needed a high-pop map and it's perfect for that as well as the chaos that comes with it.
maybe if more people are present the higher pop maps should get more weight?
(01-28-2019, 04:15 PM)poland spring Wrote: maybe if more people are present the higher pop maps should get more weight?

interesting concept actually, assigning actual designed loads to the maps and weighting against that too ?
cog2 is my favourite map but it never gets played cause its made for too high pop and it makes me the sad, but anyway, i think the weighted thing is good, but ultimately this'd be largely fixed by having more lower-pop maps, which cogwerks said is already in the werks wink