Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raise amount of traitors
As the best HoS ever I am running out of dudes to murder/hunt/gimmick to death since traitors were lowered, could we raise them above the previous levels to keep me busy as a HoS? Maybe a DIFFICULTY slider for HoS enabled dudes that may raise the amount of traitors in a game. From default to EXTREME: 0-11.
number selected may not reflect an actual amount of traitors and is likely a percentage multiplied by a number like 1.5 or 2 or something
game mode idea: everyone is a traitor except the HoS and everyone has a goal to prevent the HoS from realizing it
IMO Traitor counts were far too high previously. While I understand wanting to have more chaotic rounds and less peaceful rounds, when every round is chaotic you lose the contrast between chaotic and peaceful; and therefore a lot of the tension near the beginning of the round speculating on whether this round will be quiet or mass hysteria is lost (since you know every round will become mass hysteria).

Plus it also makes it much, much harder, if not impossible, for traitors to choose to be subtle; because you can almost be sure that there will be a number of rampagers and unless you're a rampager yourself (so you can defend yourself, or make it obvious that you're a traitor to other traitors) you're probably going to fall victim; and in any case there's not a lot of fun in subtlety when the station is already in panic.
Hey wabash, did you know that the HoS isn't the only one that is allowed to have fun? I know, its a little bit of a crazy idea, but maybe people aren't too appreciative of having to deal with tripping over the other 20% of the crew that happens to be an antagonist of some sort?
Nautilus Wrote:Hey wabash, did you know that the HoS isn't the only one that is allowed to have fun?

This from the hos who wouldn't call the shuttle because not all traitors had been captured yet.

Increased traitor rates were great. Nearly half the traitors goofed up, yet more were around to make the late round eventful. And very often traitors murdered each other for items or carelessness; it was not THAT MUCH of an added burden.

We're back to low rates, round timers are going up, and less chaos is happening. Boring, stretched out uneventful rounds.
I'm not going to disagree here that the previous rates caused a lot of chaos. If even one competent dude gets traitor with the current rates the same chaos can (and will) be summoned again, otherwise, all traitors just get killed within the first 20 minutes or don't even do anything. The traitor rate change was because too many people are incompetent and there are usually no traitors left by late-game, and really, who the hell can come up with a unique non-traitor gimmick that lasts at least 40 minutes and makes it fun for EVERYONE each round?
God damn, man, if there is one thing wrong with this game, it's the community's tendency toward public displays of hubris. How about learn how to have fun in the game instead of trying to win it?
Clarks Wrote:
Nautilus Wrote:Hey wabash, did you know that the HoS isn't the only one that is allowed to have fun?

This from the hos who wouldn't call the shuttle because not all traitors had been captured yet.

Increased traitor rates were great. Nearly half the traitors goofed up, yet more were around to make the late round eventful. And very often traitors murdered each other for items or carelessness; it was not THAT MUCH of an added burden.

We're back to low rates, round timers are going up, and less chaos is happening. Boring, stretched out uneventful rounds.

I'd argue that with rates decreased there's more round variety. Instead of every round being a murderfest you get some quiet rounds where people just do there own thing or conduct group activities that don't involve bloody murder; while still having rounds that quickly devolve into murderfests.

Not being able to predict how a round will turn out is part of the fun. When every round is predictably "X has an Artistic Toolbox" and "HoP just got murdered by Y" and "HALP ROGUE BORGS" it actually gets quite stale, despite the chaos of individual rounds themselves.
I was really disapointed when I saw that there was an adjustment down on the ammount of traitors each round.

I think it's really fun when you have to watch your back constantly because that assistant following you around probably doesn't just want to fart on your face. It brings back a good feeling when that server message was "You may be toolboxed/murdered/killed for someones amusement" instead of the lame old "traitors amusement" it is now.

Hecticity is fun imo
Clarks Wrote:

confused
Are you seriously confusing me with someone else right now or are you making up shit on the fly, it's getting really hard to tell!

Keep the current traitor rates. The current surplus crate drops work god damn amazingly with it and keeps things fresh each round, not knowing what kind of exotic object could lead to your demise. Its not so much of a deathmatch as it is suspenseful now
I loved it when the amount of traitors was higher. It allowed all kinds of interesting situations and gave security and medical stuff more to do.
Embolism Wrote:I'd argue that with rates decreased there's more round variety. Instead of every round being a murderfest you get some quiet rounds where people just do there own thing or conduct group activities that don't involve bloody murder; while still having rounds that quickly devolve into murderfests.

Not being able to predict how a round will turn out is part of the fun. When every round is predictably "X has an Artistic Toolbox" and "HoP just got murdered by Y" and "HALP ROGUE BORGS" it actually gets quite stale, despite the chaos of individual rounds themselves.

I'm going to frankly claw the skin off my face for saying this, but:
The lack of variety was mostly caused by surplus crates usually coming with a high value item (as in telecrystals), and let us go through the high value items - artistic toolbox for 10, cyalume saber for 7, chainsaw for 7. It's easy to see that the crate usually forces a rampaging behaviour purely because you'll want to use the items it yielded. I, for one, had a 25% artbox rate with the surplus crate. This behaviour was outright removed in the same update traitor numbers were reduced to (apparently below) the value it was 2 months ago. All-in-all, this update far overshot the mark of reducing chaos and collapsed it into boredom.
I like it better when dealing with one or two people going on a murder rampage at a time. Any more than that and the game just gets boring having to avoid, hide or fight them all the time.
And with more traitors you can pretty much guarantee that the AI will be some shade of rouge every round.
It gets boring even for AI players having to kill people all the time.
Honestly I think we could benefit from less changelings too since it seems like once you get rid of one, two more show up.

tl;dr I'm a boring person who dislikes conflict
You'll probably have one or two fewer traitors than before depending on how the randomizer part of scaling falls. I doubt you'd have really noticed if I hadn't put the thing in the changelog.

Currently G1 has 39 players and 5 traitors. G2 has 20 players and 3 traitors. 13-15% traitor rate seems pretty reasonable to me. The scaler was a bit too high before, but it does have a chance to still dump a whole bunch of traitors into a round. If it really is too low, I can adjust it a bit more again. There were far more people complaining about a quarter of the damn crew being traitors before.
I like the higher traitor rate when those traitors aren't all off on a rampage. The rampage gets tedious and I'm super excited to try the new syndiecrate options considering I almost always go for the syndicrate since that got implemented. it's quite a challenge to try and integrate them into your goal sometimes.
Sleepy pen + moonshine with a Get Credits objective? get the captain/hop piss drunk!

Anyway. Back on topic: I think Higher traitor count makes for more entertaining rounds and fewer long dragouts.

The only time this has been odd was the other day when on #2 just after the server came back up there were three of us in the lobby. I was captain, with a HOP and CE. Both of them were traitors.
But really those sorts of tiny rounds it hardly matters if there's one or two traitors, either way it's too many.