Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arts 'n crafts time: Art Studio?
I feel like the recreation area could use a little extra something. A way for the greysuits to express their creativity. An art studio!

This is a loose collection of ideas that may be terrible individually or as a whole, but some of it might have potential. I don't know, you tell me.
  • Bronzer / electroplater: You know how people will get their kid's baby shoes bronzed? Imagine if you could do that with someone's arms. (I imagine this being something like a modified deep fryer.)
  • Paints and canvases: Not the tint-anything sort of paints. Paint a beautiful picture! (Or graffiti up the bathrooms.) I'm not really sure what the mechanics for this would be like but it'd be great if there were a way to paint portraits of people.
  • Glassblowing station: Create fine wares for trade or aesthetic value, definitely don't hiccup and inhale molten glass or anything like that
  • Pottery wheel and kiln: Make a ton of clay mugs for the QM to sell, or to add that special earthenware charm to the bar, or set up a stall as a 'smash therapy' room for a fee. Glaze them with pretty colors or the blood of your enemies!
  • Sculpting: Might be more interesting than the pottery wheel? Not really sure how this would work though.

Printing t-shirts would be fun but probably tricky to implement. Honestly I have no idea how feasible any of this is.

I'm imagining some of these being able to create valuable items for trading through the QM but really I'd expect it to be used mainly by bored assistants.
Someone is probably going to request the ability to make bongs.
Oh man, that sounds incredible! Bongs for glassblowing, Electroplater for when you have too much money and want to turn all of your items into golden items, painting to cycle through gang signs, and put them on a canvas you can then hang up around the station, and pottery to make a fuckton of breakable mugs, fill them with space lube, and throw them at people all over the station.

I am 110% behind this.
God, if you add this near the brig so the HoS can reform criminals through art...best station ever.
Oh wow! This seems like a lot of fun! No doubt, someone is going to be making something! I love the bronzer and canvas ideas the most. Imagine emagging the safety locks on the bronzer and then frying the bronzed victims. Mmm...
BlackPhoenix Wrote:God, if you add this near the brig so the HoS can reform criminals through art...best station ever.

I'm getting visions of prisoners being made to staff a Dwarf Fortress style sweatshop eternally cranking out tacky tourist bait that the QM sells to suckers with more money than sense somewhere in space.
Daeren Wrote:
BlackPhoenix Wrote:God, if you add this near the brig so the HoS can reform criminals through art...best station ever.

I'm getting visions of prisoners being made to staff a Dwarf Fortress style sweatshop eternally cranking out tacky tourist bait that the QM sells to suckers with more money than sense somewhere in space.

mr traitor masterfully crafts a mug how the fuck did he get a gem to put on the side
this is a "Mining colony 1800000" keychain. it is of horrible quality.

it is made of bauxite.

It menaces with spikes of elf bone.

It is adorned with a large gem of Chreysoberyl.

it menaces with strands of human hair.

it is engraved with a picture of the great hero: Jasmuk Fishcandy.

this is a great idea.
i had a semi? related idea about giving money a bit more use by letting folks buy gaudy hats, accessories, jewelry, bling, etc. of varying quality

one problem is that if the stuff has an in-game benefit or use it seems like you'd end up with the HoP draining the budget every round to deck himself out, which would probably stop being funny around the 100th time. so I was thinking that beyond the small change to your ingame sprite you'd get from wearing this stupid stuff you could have a harmless but noticeable benefit based on the aggregate quality of the shit you're wearing. maybe like a green glow or access to a custom emote or something harmless that just denotes your superiority

also just as grabselfing has different actions depending on whether or not you have a fake mustache it could respond to such useless accessories as well:

X shows off his/her meager display of swag. What a chump.
X shows off his/her moderate display of swag.
X shows off his/her impressive display of swag. Whoa!
X shows off his/her staggering display of swag. Goddamn that's Gucci.
If you could only get those swag items by crafting or whatever itd remove the greedy HOP problem.

As Macklamore would put it:

That gucci that hella tight.
(But) $50 for a tshirt?
Shiit
PeacekeeperPete Wrote:If you could only get those swag items by crafting or whatever itd remove the greedy HOP problem.

As Macklamore would put it:

That gucci that hella tight.
(But) $50 for a tshirt?
Shiit

yeah I was thinking money would mean access to better materials == better final product but I dunno what the crafting process itself would be, like a minigame or.. what. the easier to code the better
Why not make it so that you progress through the qualities via time and material?

i.e. Craptastic Coffee Mug > Shitty Mug > Poor Mug > Mug >Nice Mug > Good Mug > Great Mug > BEVERAGE CONTAINER OF THE GODS

Each step can take more and more material, and maybe also a bit longer than the last step. Maybe drop the longer and longer proc times, I dunno.