Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RP: Please change the Motive system
^^^^^^^^^^

Please do this
What if there's an unseen damage that slowly-quickly rises over time, depending on the motive (or not if that's too complicated)? Once the motive hits zero, you receive the message stating you're Starving to death/Too dehydrated to keep living/Too tired to go on? So that it's not something that can be kept back by Charcoal.

Smelling badly should just slowly give you diseases I think and bladder should still instantly kill you, stating your bladder exploded violently from the liquid because it isn't that hard to take care of.

Bonus if a small urine puddle surrounds the corpse.
Dying from bladder on 2 should pissgib you and flood the room with more urine than any one spaceman should be associated with.

Fatal levels of hygiene should instead hurt people around you from the smell, and cause any critter nearby to attack you. Also spawn flies, space botflies, and cause your limbs and flesh to rot off.

Starvation should make you eat yourself.

Dying from boredom should make you cry until you get dehydrated. Bonus meta if you can drink your tears.
Also, I don't want this to be super duper public information but certain chemicals and certain boozes are almost on par with poisons in terms of killing you through the motive system. If you drink a bottle of tequila, it's almost impossible to survive unless you are literally standing next to a water tank and chugging constantly. I like the motive system but it really needs to be adjusted.

EDIT: I should also probably learn to read when these things are posted originally.
At this point I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an RP1 player who hasn't died to motives in ignominious fashion at least thrice, so absolutely any change at all to stop hunger and thirst from being instant, undiagnosable death would be super welcome. In addition, a reduction to the thirst caused by drink and drugs would be great, because Azungar is very right in comparing them to poisons; as I recall, a single sip of Bo Jack's will straight-up kill you from thirst unless you're able to keep drinking water.
Yeah, Bo Jack is lethal in one sip. I'd recommend adding an actual lethal alcohol as a bartender traitor item, maybe Everclear (Everclown?) would work
I mean, traitor moonshine already exists...
remove motives, they're just an annoyance
random sleep deprived thought from last night that i havent actually thought through: why not just reduce the annoyance by giving positive reinforcement for catering to motives rather then negative reinforcement for ignoring them
That positive reinforcement could be nice, yeah, and a reduction of the severity of the negative consequences. Death should really just not happen (except if you're on Goon2 of course), but rather just being slowed down when starved/thirsty/tired, your text being smaller and making it difficult to speak into radios when thirsty, randomly falling asleep when tired (for like a few seconds at a time, and you're still standing usually?), and pissing yourself when your bladder is full.

However, your motives probably shouldn't start at 100%, but rather maybe between 60 and 80%. The higher your motives, the more buffs you get. Being fully rested makes surgeries much less likely to be botched; being full should give you a movement bonus (though if you eat a bunch at once, maybe a temporary movement debuff due to a full belly?) as well as healing faster; being hydrated gives you a bonus to healing rates and helps you fight any disease; and having an empty bladder should make you move faster, on account of not being full of piss.
Even if someone doesn't agree with the proposed buffs/negatives, this is definitely the correct direction to go in. Rates for all should be halved when unconscious and cryo should heal say 25% of your stats when entered
Yeah, the proposed buffs and debuffs I described were entirely arbitrary. I agree that it's a seemingly viable direction to go in, of course.

As for the difficulty in implementation, I don't think that these mechanics would be all too hard to add. As far as I can tell it's simple checking of some values and changing other values based on that (checking the percentage of a motive and adjusting, say, movement speed based on that, or natural healing rate of most damage types).
I don't know code well but I could easily make a mockup in scratch, meaning it's probably pretty simple
Yeah, just a basic flowchart depicting the process for determining buffs/debuffs would be relatively easy to make. Hopefully this will entice coders looking for small projects to work on!