Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove Atmos Analysis Function From PDAs
So that Atmos Analysers actually have a reason to exist. Maybe let PDAs access this function through a cartridge instead of having it built-in to every PDA.
End the glut. Make all analyser programs provide the same info as their analyser counterparts.
Make PDAs less useful? No thanks.
The Atmos Analysis function is not often used except by Engineers and Toxins Scientists, and when it is used it is always through PDAs. If you do not wish to make this function not built-in to every PDA then you may as well remove Atmos Analysers (the ones found in toolboxes), for they have no use other than wasting space.
Except that they're not hurting anything by existing and people often drop or lose their PDAs, but might need to check atmos later in the round - like the time I was the only person working on hull breaches and ensuring that the station had oxygen throughout, but my PDA had been bombed earlier in the round.

This is really a strange thing to care enough about to post in the first place, and even stranger still to keep arguing after getting an admin response.
You can easily get replacement PDAs. If you lose your first one (an unusual occurrence, especially if you take precautions) you're better off getting a PDA with more functionality.

It's an issue of something doing everything something else does and more, and is not restricted by rarity; which makes the thing with less functionality worthless.

Besides, what I'm thinking of is making Atmos Scanning a scanner function, much like T-Ray Scanning, Medical Scanning, Plant Scanning and Chemical Scanning are. So the functionality is still there (should be default for Engineers, which works out since Engineers currently don't start with a PDA cartridge) but won't be universal as to making the non-PDA equivalent worthless.
Why not make it where you can use an atmos analyzer like an igniter/prox sensor/timer and attach them to things, activating them when the air becomes deadly?

For example, you could attach an analyzer to an air pump, and have it automatically activate the moment the air goes bad, or attach it to an air filter thing (Can't think of the word right now, tired) and have it turn the filter on until the air is back to breathable.

I dunno how useful it would be, but it could be interesting and it would give the scanners a little bit more functionality, while not messing with PDAs.
enforcer9 Wrote:Why not make it where you can use an atmos analyzer like an igniter/prox sensor/timer and attach them to things, activating them when the air becomes deadly?

For example, you could attach an analyzer to an air pump, and have it automatically activate the moment the air goes bad, or attach it to an air filter thing (Can't think of the word right now, tired) and have it turn the filter on until the air is back to breathable.

I dunno how useful it would be, but it could be interesting and it would give the scanners a little bit more functionality, while not messing with PDAs.
Scrubber, and I love this idea. Engineers setting up safety precautions around the engine would especially like it.
I actually use the PDA analyzer once in a great while, specifically if I need to make sure my oxygen tank has enough air. Sometimes it's important knowing that you didn't hook yourself with carbon monoxide.

Plus PDA's get a bad rep from half the crew as it is.

The other half is smart enough to know what pda's are good for.

PDA's should be more functional, not less functional.

If anything, Enforcer9's idea sounds better. Make the toolbox analyzers more useful instead of messing with pdas.
Fair enough. I just want Atmos Analysers to be something other than a complete waste of space.

... Having said that I don't see why Atmos Analysers should be built-in, why can't they be on a cartridge like every other PDA scanning function.
Embolism Wrote:Fair enough. I just want Atmos Analysers to be something other than a complete waste of space.

... Having said that I don't see why Atmos Analysers should be built-in, why can't they be on a cartridge like every other PDA scanning function.
I guess the same reason the flashlight is built-in.
This idea is dumb and I'm too lazy to quote cogwerks on this.

Also, flashlights stack so the built-in flashlight module is pretty handy.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
enforcer9 Wrote:Why not make it where you can use an atmos analyzer like an igniter/prox sensor/timer and attach them to things, activating them when the air becomes deadly?

Scrubber, and I love this idea. Engineers setting up safety precautions around the engine would especially like it.
Yay someone liked my idea big grin