Poll: Based on the post and replies, what do you think of the general concept suggested in this post?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Terrible - do not implement
0%
0 0%
Bad
0%
0 0%
Alright/indifferent
11.76%
2 11.76%
Good
41.18%
7 41.18%
Very good - please add this
47.06%
8 47.06%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drilling for oil! Oil drilling, refining, burning, and selling on Oshan
So while an overhaul for Oshan isn't necessary, this seemed like a good enough of a concept to discuss.

Essentially, there would be a large oil field under Oshan (whether or not this is physically in-game or just drills that make oil) which would supply a big central pump with oil when it's being operated (maybe with additional mechanics to make it interesting and possibly its own job?). Crude oil is then transported to a holding tank, where it can be directed to either barreling machines to make crude oil barrels for selling at Cargo, or to a refinery.

The refining process would result in a variety of products. Some potential ones are more liquids that can be sold at a higher price, such as gasoline and diesel fuel, or even blocks of tar which could be sold or used as a material. Other products include plasma, plastic, and rubber. As this is a very initial concept, the thoughts for the refining process aren't particularly developed. This process could be so small that it just adds a new job or is just a part of the engineer's job, or is complex enough to be its own department (so, a single wonder-machine that does the entire refinery process, or a series of machines such as distillation tubes, pressure tanks, aerators, etc.) that requires several jobs operating in tandem for full efficiency and productivity.

The results of the refining process (such as burning oil spilling into the halls) would be useful for a variety of jobs, and outright selling of the products. For example, bottles of oil (not the crude kind) could be made and sent to Chemistry, welding fuel can be made (so, less welding fuel tanks around the station are needed), and the diesel can be used by Engineering as a fuel to burn. It's theoretically possible for a liquid burn chamber to exist, as a pool of flammable liquid can be set on fire and heat the surrounding air, which would heat heat exchangers. So, a TEG can be added to Oshan (alongside the geothermal engines) if so desired, but it would require the oil industry department to be operational and competent.

To play Devil's Advocate, this is a completely new game mechanic system, not just game mechanic, and as such would require lots of effort. It may also affect the dynamic of the game in unforeseen ways if it's a large enough addition.

Regardless, I think that this is a concept worth discussing. After all, there aren't really any jobs that produce anything, at least not in bulk. The closest thing to a producing department would be hydroponics, and they have the potential to supply a lot to the station (food, synth limbs & organs & meat for medbay, synthbutts for robotics, various useful reagents, wolfsbane, etc.). Why not more jobs that make stuff? Also space oil can be a thing, maybe shipments of the stuff can arrive regularly via shuttles that dock and fill up tanks for maps in space (so, most of them).

Do vote on the poll if you have an opinion on this but don't feel like typing a whole response!
I like it, please do
I'd been hoping for something like this for plasma on the space stations for ages.
(12-14-2018, 01:50 PM)Erev Wrote: I'd been hoping for something like this for plasma on the space stations for ages.

Yeah, when I read this post I first thought that as well. But fluid plasma can work into gaseous plasma. After all the ss13 lore is that the station is mainly a plasma mining and research station.

Maybe this would be better served if you could drill for  "freshly discovered" liquid plasma on oshan, and that can be used similarly to how aft suggested.

It reminds me of a similar suggestion post from a couple months ago that wanted more uses for gaseous plasma and toxins. Like selling them in qm, or using them as fuel for pods. (Currently plasma is pod "fuel" but it doesn't really do anything)
I'd love to see more fluid fuel used.

Could be plasma for pods, gas for vehicles and tools like the chainsaw, or maybe even radioactive waste that leaks out of reactors
Maybe instead of breaking chainsaws could run on this liquid plasma, that way getting surgery for a chainsaw arm isn't absolutely useless for anything but coolness
Only if there is a massive, overly complicated hydrocarbon distillation and modification processing line.
sounds amazing tbh
This sounds like it could be a complicated safety and ecological nightmare.
I love it.
I quite like the idea of plasma instead of oil. Either one would work great, really.

Naturally this would require the implementation of fluid transport mechanics, specifically pipes and pumps (similar to atmos) as well as objects that can interact with fluid in a fluid system. Holding tanks, distillation tubes (not towers, this is a 2D space station, nerd), centrifuges, burn chambers, coolant distribution, etc. as examples of various components.

How big of a scope should this project be, if anyone is willing to do it? It's up to whoever is doing it, but should it be simple or complex, or somewhere in between? Like I described in the original post: simple would be some magic machines that just make the stuff and say they're drilling, and a magical machine that just processes the stuff and makes the products directly; complex would be a whole assortment of various machines and bits and stuff that can be played with and perfected and horribly explode if you know how to use it and overload safeties or whatever (if any, this IS Goon, after all).