Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Cutting wires breaks the power grid seemingly at random
Was hotwiring a hellburn on Cogmap, and after cutting the SMES input, all wires everywhere ceased to accept power. The >1TW engine was now a useless decoration, as no power could flow out.

According to others on the Discord, this is a longstanding bug and appears completely random if and when a cut wire will just crash the entire power grid.
Possibly related, but Ive had it before where as I get the engine going the electricity grid just never seems to work - stays at 0 the whole time meaning that the station is guaranteed to run out of energy.

Ive never been able to determine cause necessarily. When I notice the issue its after the engine is just turned on and I either try to turn on SMES or use a multitool on a wire and see it come back as 0.
welcome to the magical world of floating point math errors
I'd imagine that there should be, at the very least, something that occasionally checks to see if the powernet is bugged out (having to indirectly test or directly test, I dunno how it works. Probably just seeing if things are getting power or not, and if nothing is getting power but power sources are still connected, then the game 'knows' that the powernet is fucked). If it is, then there's probably some way to force it to restart. I know that the admins on Aurora can do this when power stops flowing between Z-Levels, but I dunno if selectively restarting the powernet and only that on Goon is a thing.

quick edit: not 100% sure if this is breaking that rule of thumb on replying to bug reports, so if it is then yeah just delete this reply or PM me to delete this reply
(11-16-2018, 04:38 AM)aft2001 Wrote: then there's probably some way to force it to restart

i'm almost certain there's an admin button to reset the power network, but at the same time it might be a button to fill the power network. either way, having something check for breakage every like, 5 minutes, would be good