Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Projectiles should not be able to hit their owner (eg taser)
I'm sure many players can attest that using a taser is really dangerous for their owner if there happens to be even a little bit of lag. If you in some way create any projectile, be it by throwing a bowling ball, throwing a butcher's knife or using an e-gun and you go just that little bit too quickly for the game to realize it, it will invariably lead to a really lame situation where you're fucked in whatever high-octane situation you were just in.

It's immersion breaking, its lame, and it needs to be fixed.

There's a simple way to fix it - every player should have a list of IDs from the projectiles that they the player owns. If you discharge a taser, the bolt should have its own ID that is checked on collision and if it ends up that bolt has hit its owner, the owner calls a proc which compares the ID of the projectile to its projectile list and since it will match it should pass through, or at the very least not effect them. There is no reason for any projectile to ever arc around and hit its owner.
The list is purged for the duration that the projectile is in transit, or maybe every 5 seconds.

Another way is to give the projectile itself an ID of who owns the projectile and ensure that it doesn't call on collision effects if it does end up colliding with its owner. I don't know how the collision procs are called, but one of these two methods should easily fix the problem.

Go ahead and add your own story of a super lame self tazing experience. I'm pretty sure everyone has one now!
The only time I've ever thrown something at myself is when I don't realize I have the throw intent on and I click on a door. I've never been fucked by this, but I am like "OHSHIT NO ONE COME IN HERE WHILE IM DOWN AGHH!"

But yeah getting hit by your own taser shots is fucking infuriating albeit it doesn't happen often.
Yup its annoying, my guess is that its pretty hard to code out.
Not really. Projectiles already track who fired them, it's part of how combat is logged. There's probably a way to check the projectile (in motion) when it hits a mob to make sure it's not hitting the person who fired it.
Yup, I've never coded anything in my life. If you can use your voodoo magic to fix this, that'd be great then.
It happens so very seldom that it's hilarious more than a huge issue.
I remember being hit by my own shot, but I don't really remember when. That's how little it happens.
Back when overdose wasn't a thing this was the leading cause of death for hyperzine dose armory-mag traitors.
I dunno, it seems to happen to me quite often.