Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artifact Activation Issue
Alright, I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or an intended feature, but I regularly (as in at least once per game) come across artifacts that react to radiation, but require an amount of radiation higher than the x ray scanner can manage. The artifact will react more the higher i turn up the x ray, but the scanner maxes out at a power of 10 before the artifact gets out of the "weak reaction" range. This effectively renders all artifacts in this category entirely unable to be activated. Radioactive chems won't do a thing to the artifacts and all other methods for activation the wiki suggests (EMP blasts) are entirely impractical as they either require a game-spanning quest to start up a singularity or require traitor items.
Artifacts that have a 'strong/powerful response' to radiation at radstrength 10 are the only ones that truly activate via radiation (at which point you go from 10 to 8 to 6 etc. to feel out what'll work). If it gives a 'weak response' at 10 then it's actually activated via some other means, like the elecbox or silicon touch or whatever. It's more a case of the readout being misleading.
Ah, then I've been tricked by that too.

Sometimes, though, hijacking this topic, I run into artifacts that don't react to radiation, heat, electricity, human touch, cyborg touch, or getting smacked by a crowbar. I figure these are the artifacts that only react to BIG hits like explosions and guns, but usually when I get those I get "the <artifact> emits a soft sound" or something like that when I crowbar it, meaning I need to hit it harder. Sometimes I don't get that message. Is that message supposed to only happen sometimes, or am I actually mistaken and there is some other activation method I should try?
(11-04-2018, 08:49 AM)GusHobbleton Wrote: Ah, then I've been tricked by that too.

Sometimes, though, hijacking this topic, I run into artifacts that don't react to radiation, heat, electricity, human touch, cyborg touch, or getting smacked by a crowbar.  I figure these are the artifacts that only react to BIG hits like explosions and guns, but usually when I get those I get "the <artifact> emits a soft sound" or something like that when I crowbar it, meaning I need to hit it harder.  Sometimes I don't get that message.  Is that message supposed to only happen sometimes, or am I actually mistaken and there is some other activation method I should try?

some artifacts can only be activated with activators, iirc. some artifacts also react to cold. if the artifact gives off a message like "emits a soft sound", then it needs force to activate. if you can't get that with melee damage, the most scientist conducive method of activation is an explosion!
(11-04-2018, 02:02 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote: some artifacts can only be activated with activators, iirc. some artifacts also react to cold. if the artifact gives off a message like "emits a soft sound", then it needs force to activate. if you can't get that with melee damage, the most scientist conducive method of activation is an explosion!

All artifacts are (theoretically) able to be activated using the equipment in the artifact lab, with the exception of artifacts that want explosion levels of brute (I'd really love to know if this is a bug, oversight, or just no one understanding how the fuck the pitcher is intended to be used). Hearing a noise from the artifact means whatever you're doing to it is near what it needs for activation; from there you need to adjust numbers up or down to find the sweet spot. I once found an artifact that reacted to being hit with a crowbar but not to being hit by a power hammer, and ended up activating via a screwdriver fired at pitcher power 25.
(11-04-2018, 03:37 PM)sodly Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 02:02 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote: some artifacts can only be activated with activators, iirc. some artifacts also react to cold. if the artifact gives off a message like "emits a soft sound", then it needs force to activate. if you can't get that with melee damage, the most scientist conducive method of activation is an explosion!

All artifacts are (theoretically) able to be activated using the equipment in the artifact lab, with the exception of artifacts that want explosion levels of brute (I'd really love to know if this is a bug, oversight, or just no one understanding how the fuck the pitcher is intended to be used). Hearing a noise from the artifact means whatever you're doing to it is near what it needs for activation; from there you need to adjust numbers up or down to find the sweet spot. I once found an artifact that reacted to being hit with a crowbar but not to being hit by a power hammer, and ended up activating via a screwdriver fired at pitcher power 25.
you can set the pitcher power above ten what
(11-04-2018, 05:58 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote:

it is 0-100 and defaults to 50 my guy
(11-04-2018, 06:11 PM)sodly Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 05:58 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote:

it is 0-100 and defaults to 50 my guy
oh my god i mustve misread the wiki when i first started and never corrected myself
You might be thinking of the xray box, which goes from 1-10 and defaults to 1.
Photo 
(11-05-2018, 08:42 AM)GusHobbleton Wrote: You might be thinking of the xray box, which goes from 1-10 and defaults to 1.

thats probably where i got the idea of 1-10 stuck in my head, yea