Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Finish the nuclear engine and add it to Oshan
Seems like the perfect place to do it to me-- underwater, so lots of cooling, and also since it's underwater, there can be huge turbine intakes that suck in fish/unfortunate staff assistants. It's also probably gonna be easier for most people to figure out than geothermal seems to.
I love ideas for new engines, and this sounds really cool especially on Oshan. I wouldnt want to replace the unique geothermal engine, but having both might be cool? Whats the upper limit of power generation possible with geothermal and what would it possibly be for nuclear?
honestly this sounds a lot less like a plea in favor of the nuke, and more like a complaint about geothermal.

Oshan's setting is unique and 100% intertwined with the engine system, just as solars are the bread and butter of the RP ships.

I've wanted to see a nuke, especially one that is fully integrated into mining & smelting radioactive fuels and moderators for 3-Mile-Isles of fun, for a long time, but this aint and won't be it.
Honestly, what I'd love to see is engines be a part of station concept.

Like, a nuclear engine would really fit for a kind of extra dangerous station design, maybe one built around a large concentration of radioactive ore, with unshielded maintenance tunnels.
(11-08-2018, 08:39 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: kind of extra dangerous station design

I should learn mapping and actually make salvagestation some day.
The nuker could be used with the TEG as yet another way to get the hot loop hot.
No more TEG please.
To be honest my main concern with engineering comes down to how effective my powergloves will be on a station. Unfortunately in my experience most engines outside of a TEG hellburn cant instagib the way I love so much. Cog2 and Cog1 I will roll engineer, but as cool as Oshan's engine seems to be the motivation to learn it properly isnt there for me I think. Just food for thought, not a call to change Oshan at all.

Berrik, what parts of TEG dont you like? Is it just that its old hat now, or is there a specific aspect that you find tiresome? Ive been getting into mapping on a basic level so I could maybe see about integrating nuclear into that some how.
The TEG relies on some kind of heat source and some source of cooling. The specific advantages and disadvantages the TEG have aren't something I know, but what I do know is that the TEG allows for a significant amount of tweaking and experimentation. Not only this, but it doesn't matter where the cold and hot gas comes from, only that it is at the desired temperatures and pressures. As such, it can be used in conjunction with any heat source, such as a simple series of furnaces, or a plasma burn chamber, or a nuclear reactor, or even possibly a singularity or some other heat source.

The TEG is indeed old stuff, but in my opinion, the fact that it is old does not alone warrant the replacement of said TEG. Maps without a TEG aren't inherently bad whatsoever, but it is still a useful piece of equipment. Perhaps it could be added alongside the hotspot system in Oshan, and would have gas heated via hotspots (Move them close to the station and anchor them, then hook up some pipes or something to a collector type thing).
I don't like the TEG because it encourages hellburns, which lag the game and can make large portions of the station uninhabitable in the course of normal operations.
(11-09-2018, 12:49 PM)Berrik Wrote: I don't like the TEG because it encourages hellburns, which lag the game and can make large portions of the station uninhabitable in the course of normal operations.

A nuclear engine would probably wind up irradiating large portions of the station too, y'know.
From what little I've dealt with of the Nuclear engine, only the immediate area is really affected.
(11-10-2018, 01:21 PM)Technature Wrote: From what little I've dealt with of the Nuclear engine, only the immediate area is really affected.

But it wasn't finished or even close to being finished.
ok that's fair
The nuclear engine should only be irradiating parts of the station if someone fucks up or if someone causes it on purpose, as opposed to the current TEG setup where being literally the sun is a common occurence.