Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] Lawgiver gun for HoS's (Judge Dredd gun)
Inspired by this old post by Frank Stein. As well as Judge Dredd.

Frank Stein made the sprite with a bunch of recolors, and I used it for the object but added a few different colours.
[Image: 463RTb1.gif]Here are the main features of the weapon:

- These are only usable by HoS's or someone with their fingerprints. (or with an emag sort of). Anyone else trying to fire it will have a bad time.
- All HoS's spawn with this weapon on their belt slot instead of spawning with a taser. The lawgiver that spawns with them is already keyed to their fingerprints.
- Has several different modes (like eguns taser/laser) but is a bit more versatile. It has a self charging power cell with a 300 units max and recharges relatively slowly for the cost of each type of projectile used. It cannot be inserted into a cell charger to speed up the charging. I think it should take a couple minutes for it to recharge itself after expending it's charge. Modes:
     - Detain - 50pu - Fires a taser bolt that detonates after traveling several tiles or hitting something and applies an AOE slow to adjacent tiles
     - Execute - 30pu - Uses the detectives lethal .357 ammo. (additionally I could change this to be the Armor Penetration detective ammo)
     - Smokeshot - 100pu - Fires a smoke grenade
     - Knockout - 150pu - Fires a syringe of halperidiol
     - Hotshot - 60pu - Fires a regular old flare
     - Bigshot - 150pu - Fire's a small explosive round.
     - Clownshot - 30pu - When I first said I'd make this I joked that it should have a function to terrorize clowns. This does that.

Video Demo: https://streamable.com/1ru2k   (I realize now having watched this video I made that it's pretty bad and the music I was listening too is audible, thought I turned that off, but I'm not going to change it)

https://streamable.com/708hl (I posted the wrong video. the last one showed the "I am the law" feature. This shows all the different types of projectiles.)
-------

One thing that it is unfortunately missing is a nice in-hand image. I wanted to use the current ones for taser/eguns, but I don't think they are in 2016.

I should also note, that if someone decided to merge this. That the detain/stun aoe setting just uses the effects of the 2016 taser. Namely, it doesn't effect stamina. So that should be changed.

Patch:
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016/pull/89
there's still debug statements
(11-01-2018, 09:52 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: there's still debug statements

whoops. fixed.
typo note: both the apostrophes in the failsafe activation message are unnecessary. "initiates" is a third person singular verb, and "its" is the possessive of "it" (contrast with "it's", which is a contraction for "it is")
Would the explosion shot be about as strong as AEX?
(11-08-2018, 06:51 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: Would the explosion shot be about as strong as AEX?

No, it's a decent bit stronger than that. I used the HE Riot Launcher ammo as a base and I made it create an explosion 1/3rd as powerful. 

Shot cost is subject to change, but the way I have it presently is so you can shoot two at full charge. And that's enough so that you can reliably destroy a wall.
(11-08-2018, 11:11 AM)kyle2143 Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 06:51 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: Would the explosion shot be about as strong as AEX?

No, it's a decent bit stronger than that. I used the HE Riot Launcher ammo as a base and I made it create an explosion 1/3rd as powerful. 

Shot cost is subject to change, but the way I have it presently is so you can shoot two at full charge. And that's enough so that you can reliably destroy a wall.

That seems... very powerful given that you basically have unlimited shots. Even if it's HoS-exclusive, you can use it to ruin an antag's day even more than an egun.
(11-08-2018, 02:04 PM)MrMagolor Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 11:11 AM)kyle2143 Wrote:

That seems... very powerful given that you basically have unlimited shots. Even if it's HoS-exclusive, you can use it to ruin an antag's day even more than an egun.

anyone who can hack a door can already use an improvised rocket launcher. that, with the fact that the head of security is obligated to not use an explosive shot where it can vent the station and their goal is to capture, not murder, i'd say that it isn't that overpowered. (it kinda depends on what the self recharge is. ~1 minute per explosive shot doesnt seem too excessive)
Personally, I think every shot type excluding a standard taser bolt should rely on an ammo pack that's limited. It is a powerful and versatile weapon and one that should be used thoughtfully
(11-08-2018, 08:51 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Personally, I think every shot type excluding a standard taser bolt should rely on an ammo pack that's limited. It is a powerful and versatile weapon and one that should be used thoughtfully

I did see that in your original post and that was what my plan was at the outset. But programming-wise it seemed way to complicated for adding just a single new weapon. Let me explain.

There are two types of guns, Energy/Kinetic which take either physical ammo like a speedloader, and a power cell for energy weapons. In order for me to properly make a new weapon that is able to take both types of ammo I'd ideally have to create a whole new Hybrid class of guns or something. And that seemed overkill for adding just this one weapon. It would mean having to go in handling all the ways powercells and ammo cartridges can be added to the gun and how ammo reduction is handled after firing. Which is maybe not super complicated, but certainly very tedious because I'd have to be testing a LOT more things in order to create this weapon and make it modular to be able to handle any future hybrid weapons.

So that left me with choosing between Energy and Kinetic weapon types. I ended up choosing Energy partly out of convenience, partly because the sprites you made look to be in line with the charge counter on the egun/taser, and partly because I like them better than having to use physical ammo. Using physical ammo would have made this patch more complex to merge as well since I would have had to make further changes creating a new type of ammo for the lawgiver and a way for that ammo to be available like in the armory vendomat or starting out somewhere in the HoS's office in each station. Or I could have used Compressed Matter Cartridges which was an idea floated around in that thread. Logically it made sense, but that is not a valid type of ammo for guns and I would have had to change it considerably or very hacky to allow it to be used with guns.

And after all. E = Mc^2 so this gun is just converting energy into matter bullets or whatever. It's the future.

Edit: I should add that we can definitely change the recharge rates and projectile cost to balance it. I was really just eyeballing it. My intent was for this to replace the HoS's egun with this so that they have to use tasers for most normal things unlesd they want to go crazy.
You should probably know that making it not use the cell charger doesn't matter much, as handy HoSes will just swap the cells out in the field to not have to wait. Also, speaking as a frequent sec player, a gun with a frequent downtime is not one I'd want to use.
You cannot swap the cell out of this gun.

And it's not usable by regular sec officer's just the HoS. They'll still have access to their 200pu power cell and a taser if they want to use a weapon they can spam fire swapping out cells. The idea for this was to make a weapon with more utility than the egun that the HoS already has.

I wouldn't be opposed to letting the HoS keep their egun and having be a HoS job reward to transform an egun into it.